Aby Good Reasons To Get Married?

manonthemon

Hello,

Might be a strange question, don't know, but - are there any practical reasons to get married?

Me and GF (I'm form Europe, she's form India) have been living together in Thailand for 2 years. Now we're expecting a child. And I wonder - would getting married make our lifes easier in any way? And I mean practical reasons : Health Indurance, Visas, Parental Rights and stuff? What are the advantages of two foreigners beeing married in Thailand?

I have a Thai health insurance - will my girlfeind or baby be covered is we get married?

I know that wihout a marriage certificate I'm not the father in the eyes of the Thail law - or is it not the case with two foreigners? By the way - the baby will have the citizenship of my country.

I have a Non B Visa, I know that by getting married I could get my GF to stay here as a dependant.

Any other reaosns to go official with our relationship?

cheers

the two most importent you already mentioned:

- you will be the legal father of the child

- she can be your dependent

Also in India it would be frowned upon if a woman is not married and has a child, so to her and her family this may be very important.

Thanks for your reply.

The legal father thing is confusing thought. Neither me or my GF are Thai, I'm getting my daughter the citizenship and passport of my country, and we still need to be married for me to be the father here in Thailand?

So if an unmarried couple with children comes to Thailand from abroad and they decide to stay they have to get married so that the father keeps his paternal rights? Or is it only applicable for children born in Thailand? In short - what do Thai authorities have to do with a non-Thai child?

One more thing - I mentioned social insurance. I'm beginning to understand that it doesn’t cover my GF or Child in any way. Except for the refund of partial costs of the delivery (around 12k Baht) Does anybody know how to proceed to get this money back?

cheers!

Since the child is born in Thailand, legitimisation must be done under Thai law. You can also do it at your embassy, but that will only men that your country recognises you as the legal father. The rest of the world might take another view.

An unmarried couple coming here would change nothing regarding to the status of the children, unless they setle in Thailand and go to court here about the aprenthood of the child.

Can't tell about social security, but being married you will have some tax deductions.

Thank you, this clarifies things.

By legalising do you mean I have to go to Amphur within 15 days form the birth and personally register the baby and that's it, I’m officially the dad?

I asked the same question.

Check the answers at the topic I started in the same section as this.

Thank you, this clarifies things.

By legalising do you mean I have to go to Amphur within 15 days form the birth and personally register the baby and that's it, I’m officially the dad?

No. legalisation of a child can only be done in 3 ways:

- marry the mother

- go to court and ask to be recognised as the legal father

- go to the amphur with mother and child and if they agree you become the legal father (but the child must be about 7 years old to do this, as he has to agree).

See: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/381917-how-to-gain-parental-rights-as-a-father/