Saturday's J J Market Christmas Charity Fair -- Did You Go, What Can We Do Better Next Time?

NancyL

Yes, I went and there were some nice things and some not so nice things about it:

1) the location sucks. It doesn't help that there is another JJ Market near the Night Bazaar and this location is out of the way. Lots of people who have lived here for years had to consult maps to figure out where this was.

2) it was too commercial; too many businesses (especially hotels and restaurants) selling overpriced food and drink and there just "flying their flags". I saw a wine tasting for about B 240; really? Come on, who's going to pay that at a casual, outdoor event like this? How about a community/organization run BBQ (chicken, burgers, pork, sausages) that offers good food & drink at sane prices? That would go over big, in my opinion. Maybe the restaurants and hotels should consider giving out some free samples of their food rather than charging B 100 or more for small servings. There was a local monthly magazine there (maybe one of the sponsors) selling yearly subscriptions to their tourist magazine which is given away for free! I noted that they had no customers.

3) the best part was the individual people (not businesses) who brought unusual things for sale and were ready to bargain on their prices (unlike the commercial ventures). Lots of nice books, records, cds, dvds, clothing etc. for sale at great prices. But again, food and drink were vastly overpriced. Because some of the money goes to charity, does that mean it's an occasion to nick the entire community? High prices also meant that locals were effectively screened out (or smart enough to stay away and visit the far vaster and cheaper Saturday morning market). This was mostly an expat affair, not many Thais except for the "usual suspects" as vendors.

4) lots of the same vendors that sell the same things everywhere else and can be seen time and again at all the other walking streets. Why not try to screen these people, who seem to make their business off of such events, out? They're boring and repetitive.

5) I heard no music. How about some live, free music to attract customers and also to keep them?

6) the timing was bad. Kind of post Thanksgiving for Americans; competed with the Jazz festival; and in the middle of Loy Kratong activities for Thais plus at exactly the same time as the Saturday morning market.

Edited by TheVicar

2) it was too commercial; too many businesses (especially hotels and restaurants) selling overpriced food and drink and there just "flying their flags". I saw a wine tasting for about B 240; really? Come on, who's going to pay that at a casual, outdoor event like this? How about a community/organization run BBQ (chicken, burgers, pork, sausages) that offers good food & drink at sane prices? That would go over big, in my opinion. Maybe the restaurants and hotels should consider giving out some free samples of their food rather than charging B 100 or more for small servings. There was a local monthly magazine there (maybe one of the sponsors) selling yearly subscriptions to their tourist magazine which is given away for free! I noted that they had no customers.

I guess I was at a different event. My stand was located in the food section. Our prices aside, the food being charged by other vendors were extraordinarily low. One place was selling a plate of ribs for 50 baht. Bratwurst were being sold for 50 baht. Shan salads were priced at 20 baht for 1 and 30 for two. And they were delicious. From Freebird Cafe. And lots of other vendors selling cheaply,

too.

• Like 2

Yes, I went and there were some nice things and some not so nice things about it:

1) the location sucks. It doesn't help that there is another JJ Market near the Night Bazaar and this location is out of the way. Lots of people who have lived here for years had to consult maps to figure out where this was.

3) the best part was the individual people (not businesses) who brought unusual things for sale and were ready to bargain on their prices (unlike the commercial ventures). Lots of nice books, records, cds, dvds, clothing etc. for sale at great prices. But again, food and drink were vastly overpriced. Because some of the money goes to charity, does that mean it's an occasion to nick the entire community? High prices also meant that locals were effectively screened out (or smart enough to stay away and visit the far vaster and cheaper Saturday morning market). This was mostly an expat affair, not many Thais except for the "usual suspects" as vendors.

4) lots of the same vendors that sell the same things everywhere else and can be seen time and again at all the other walking streets. Why not try to screen these people, who seem to make their business off of such events, out? They're boring and repetitive.

5) I heard no music. How about some live, free music to attract customers and also to keep them?

6) the timing was bad. Kind of post Thanksgiving for Americans; competed with the Jazz festival; and in the middle of Loy Kratong activities for Thais plus at exactly the same time as the Saturday morning market.

figures you wouldn't like it. you don't seem to like anything.

• Like 2

Totally agree.

Do the persons who are involved in these events hold work permits; are all the so-called organisations collecting on behalf of charities registered with any official offices or departments? Otherwise who actually oversees these groups? Especially where the collection of monies is involved.

I would be smart like the locals and stay away until these questions are verified, because there is no way that I would hand over money to charity purely on trust.

A good effort by the Royal british legion and lanna care net well done to both organisations.

Good on you Beetlejuice getting into the spirit of things .Mind you i think your screen name says enough about you.

I have volunteered my services for several charities abroad during the past, including Oxfam and the Cancer Research fund, mostly working for free in they’re shops during my free weekends or work holiday periods, but never on the direct money handling side which was only open for approved vetted registered charity members and employees of the charity.

I still donate to a children’s charity each month by direct debit, have done for years. Every quarter I receive receipts and reports of where the money is going and how it`s being used, plus I am able to keep pace with the charity online that publishes financial accounts, names, it`s events and other full details.

Inquiring whether certain people are licensed and collecting for registered charities and have the approved permissions and work permits in Thailand to do so is no big deal and they should in fact be happy to provide this information which gives them credibility. But if you prefer you can discuss and get personal with me instead, as I suppose it does divert the attentions away from the questions; are only registered charities and licensed operators with work permits collecting in the area?

Whoever gives donations do so at their own risk and discretion, as for me so far I am not impressed and in Thailand I’ll standby the safer option that charity begins at home.

Edited by Beetlejuice

I couldn't go because of other obligations including a Fair at my kids school. I would recomend holding it Saturday and Sunday so more people have time to attend during a very busy weekend in CM. Adding a little Jazz entertainment might be a nice addition. smile.png

i think that some people are went to a different fair! I don't remember seeing food being sold at really high price? Actually I believe that most fair-food vendors tend to over charge, but I didn't see much/or any of that there.

you seem to be not enjoying yourself much.

I was there that day and I kinda enjoyed.

1. Is there really another JJ market by the night bazaar? I know there's a J something there but is it really JJ? Sure the location could need more advertising but hey...

2. Food for big money??? Come on have you gone to a fair that's not over charged??? Charity or not. 50baht for a burger or hotdog ain't expensive (to you maybe). Sure there will be some that charge more than others, but that's your choice of where to spend

3. the prices weren't that high were they??? Have you been to any other fair recently, that's not a walking street or garage sale? I think that they are pretty similarly priced. And honestly was this event even aimed at the local??? I don't think so. As there is no connection between the RBL and the locals anyway.

4. Then who do you think that you'll get to sell stuff??? If you want some thing new, what. Won't exclusive items just drive the prices up? You don't want the 'usual' stuff therefore it has to be exclusive!!!

5. The music was there, just probably earlier than you

6. Then when...

Sorry I don't usually goes off like this, but some people put in a lot of work to make this event. I just can't stand people who'll just try to burn it.

I personally think that the event was nice, casual and not really overly crazy.Need to do something with the parking though.

good 1st time event

I and a couple of friends were there in the food area, vending 16 ounces / 500 ml of our homemade salsa for 50 baht each. Two of us foreigners had registered for the one-day work permit; our Thai friend, on the other hand, didn't need one. All of our monies was donated to Lanna Care Net; none of it was held back to even cover expenses. That said, whatever remaining product we had was also donated to yet another charity for their use.

• Like 1

I and a couple of friends were there in the food area, vending 16 ounces / 500 ml of our homemade salsa for 50 baht each. Two of us foreigners had registered for the one-day work permit; our Thai friend, on the other hand, didn't need one. All of our monies was donated to Lanna Care Net; none of it was held back to even cover expenses. That said, whatever remaining product we had was also donated to yet another charity for their use.

And the salsa was good! I bought six jars. Last night used two jars -- added some seafood, corn, nuked the mixture for a few mintues and served over rice. Yum!

• Like 1

I arrived around 9:45 and had to leave at 10:30 to go somewhere else so I beat the heat and the crowds. Unfortunately, it appears I missed out on some good food as well, but Mr. Gurkan's 40-baht kebob sandwich on unleavened bread was delicious and he was fun to get to know. I also bought four items for 135 baht from a German baker, friendly, professional guy, (J and S Bakery and Cafe). Everything was high quality and very reasonable. I bought a couple of handmade greeting cards from Caring Hands and talked to them for a while. Very nice people. Over in one person's used book display there was a New York Times healthy cookbook but my friend spotted it first and bought it....for 20 baht.

As for parking, I know the layout (and arrived early) so I had no problem. I like the venue. I arrived with no expectations and was pleasantly surprised. I hope it happens again next year and maybe I'll go a little later so I don't miss anything.

Last year I attended a similar event at your office, or at least the green space in front of it. It had a wonderful festive feeling, and an excellent diversity of participants and guests!! Re-create that and you will have all the answers. This one was close, but as you know, not quite there.

• Like 1

As much as I'd like to ignore Beetlejuice and The Vicar, it is important to go on record that there was a one-day volunteer work permit on file at the Labor Department. All someone has to do is call the Labor Department and ask, or asked to see our documentation from the Labor Department at the Fair. Also, the organizing groups did not sell the alcohol at the event. Singha beer, Wine CNX, Niikki Pure Spirits and the D2Hotel were the only organizations selling alcohol. Oh, and to address one of The Vicar's concern's -- we elected not to play "background music" from someone's computer (like they do in bars) because we didn't want to get into trouble with the "music police". As to the "registration" of the various vendors -- well, Beetlejuice should have actually come to the event and talked with each vendor, rather than casting doubt on the entire lot.

No need to have to defend yourself against Beetlejuice, NancyL.

• Like 1

I did not have the chance to attend but I'm sure my wife and I would hav enjoyed it if we did. I would like to express my appreciation to all those who had devoted their efforts in various ways to help out people.

My only feedback is that not enough PR was done; but then, reading Nancy from the little I know, she doesn't want to be accused of being pushy which I fully understand. Some people are just too mean and lose their senses in judgement of certain events!

Why do some people ask so much of a voluntary effort? The Vicar and Beetlejuice strike me as entirely too harsh. And it wasn't event for children, lainlain100. Might be in the future, but that's a whole different concept with its own set of things to work out! Although there is not a flood of favorable comments, per se, it seems like the organizers should consider the first time round a success.

One thought, however. Hard to find a Thai other than someone who was either a partner of a farang or working to sell something.

Edited by Mapguy

I did not have the chance to attend but I'm sure my wife and I would hav enjoyed it if we did. I would like to express my appreciation to all those who had devoted their efforts in various ways to help out people.

My only feedback is that not enough PR was done; but then, reading Nancy from the little I know, she doesn't want to be accused of being pushy which I fully understand. Some people are just too mean and lose their senses in judgement of certain events!

I agree on this point. Somehow I didn't see the advertising for this and it sounds like I missed out on a good time with some delicious, cheap eats (and with NancyL involved, I'm sure the bathroom facilities were top notch! wai2.gif )

Perhaps a little flyer graphic, cross posted to some of the local Chiang Mai groups on Facebook would help to promote.

Anyway, congrats on what sounds like a successful event. Hope to see a repeat event in the near future!

(Also, double congrats on being able to instantly shut-up the "volunteer work permit" trolls!! clap2.gif )

-Mestizo

• Like 2

Why do some people ask so much of a voluntary effort? The Vicar and Beetlejuice strike me as entirely too harsh. And it wasn't event for children, lainlain100. Might be in the future, but that's a whole different concept with its own set of things to work out! Although there is not a flood of favorable comments, per se, it seems like the organizers should consider the first time round a success.

One thought, however. Hard to find a Thai other than someone who was either a partner of a farang or working to sell something.

Totally agree, thought we had walked in to a meeting of the expats club.

Parked opposite what we discovered was the another JJ entrance further up the road but were eventually assisted by a pleasant young man in a golf cart to go to the right place.

Overall, OK.

Edited by Thailand

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun NancyL,

Congratulations on what sounds like a very successful event; I don't know how I missed hearing about it, and would have attended had I heard, but I'll certainly keep my eye out for the next one, if I remain in this body that long.

yrs, ~o:37;

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun NancyL,

Congratulations on what sounds like a very successful event; I don't know how I missed hearing about it, and would have attended had I heard, but I'll certainly keep my eye out for the next one, if I remain in this body that long.

yrs, ~o:37;

How can you tell it was a successful attempt if you didn't attend and moreoever you didn't even hear about it? I did attend (even bought some things) and I stand by my criticisms above. Note that Nancy L was the chief organizer for this event (something she might have told people in her original post). It sounds like she's looking more for pats on the back than on honest critical comments: you can only improve if you listen to the criticisms of others Nancy and not to the brownnosers. Lots of other posters here seconded many of the criticisms I made of the event (hard to find; bad timing competing with the jazz festival and the Saturday morning market; too commercial; overpriced food (especially from the restaurants and hotels) too many farangs and not enough Thais etc.). If I was Nancy L, I would try to encourage more individuals (rather than businesses) to take part next year; people who might otherwise be selling their items at garage sales. I would also choose a better date, and would have volunteers working on a giant outdoor BBQ that sold food and drink at a reasonable price. I think these are all valid criticisms and I was there! And live music (NOT canned crap) would be nice too; if you are from the British legation, you should have enough clout to deal with the "music police". Every neighborhood event in CM seems to have live music so that excuse is preposterous.

Edited by TheVicar

Sorry I was under the impression it was a Christmas Fair, and Christmas is for the children!

Well I for one had a great time…. I think your whole crew this year did a great job of organizing the event and my hat is off to you. Could it have been done better? Yes of course…. But having run several of these events over the years… there is always room for improvement each and every year. Nancy… As long as you made some money for a good cause…. in the grand scheme of things It went just fine.

Just a couple of thoughts you may want to put in your notes for next year….

1st The parking attendants need to be told to back off when the vendors are bringing in their items to set up. This one kid actually thought he was going to have me carry a hundred pound cooler from the parking lot to the food court. I don’t think so…. And who issued them the whistles?

2nd Having two or three food/drink areas… was a bit confusing. Yes I know the front area shut down around or before noon… but it then looked to me as if the whole event was shut down for the day…. at your premium location… the front entrance. Now I know a troop of dancing girls probably would not have been appropriate…. but you should have something/someone who knows what’s going on posted there next year to draw them in and steer them around to the back.

3rd Last but not least… First come * First serve. Every year, these events have people that cancel at the last moment. Every year, these events have people call at the last minute trying to get a spot. I can only say that I have never found a foolproof answer to this problem…. Its just human nature I guess. Getting everyone to commit and pay in advance with no chance of a refund was my rule. If the spot was not occupied an hour before the event… it was sold again to anyone on the waiting list. A larger deposit would also be a good way of making sure they showed up…. Way to easy to walk on your booth fee.

Well there is my two cents worth. Just a side note to a couple of the comments posted here. There is no down side to constructive criticism….. But as a manager my first consideration would always be the source. If you have never rode a horse!!!!

• Like 1

Well I for one had a great time…. I think your whole crew this year did a great job of organizing the event and my hat is off to you. Could it have been done better? Yes of course…. But having run several of these events over the years… there is always room for improvement each and every year. Nancy… As long as you made some money for a good cause…. in the grand scheme of things It went just fine.

Just a couple of thoughts you may want to put in your notes for next year….

1st The parking attendants need to be told to back off when the vendors are bringing in their items to set up. This one kid actually thought he was going to have me carry a hundred pound cooler from the parking lot to the food court. I don’t think so…. And who issued them the whistles?

2nd Having two or three food/drink areas… was a bit confusing. Yes I know the front area shut down around or before noon… but it then looked to me as if the whole event was shut down for the day…. at your premium location… the front entrance. Now I know a troop of dancing girls probably would not have been appropriate…. but you should have something/someone who knows what’s going on posted there next year to draw them in and steer them around to the back.

3rd Last but not least… First come * First serve. Every year, these events have people that cancel at the last moment. Every year, these events have people call at the last minute trying to get a spot. I can only say that I have never found a foolproof answer to this problem…. Its just human nature I guess. Getting everyone to commit and pay in advance with no chance of a refund was my rule. If the spot was not occupied an hour before the event… it was sold again to anyone on the waiting list. A larger deposit would also be a good way of making sure they showed up…. Way to easy to walk on your booth fee.

Well there is my two cents worth. Just a side note to a couple of the comments posted here. There is no down side to constructive criticism….. But as a manager my first consideration would always be the source. If you have never rode a horse!!!!

1. How can you not make money for the good cause when a portion of the proceeds went to the charity? Unless no one came, you'd make money, so is that really the test? I think not.

2. With respect to the "if you never road a horse" line, it was Nancy who began this thread and came here asking for constructive criticism. She got it, and not only from me. Note that the person above your post was under the impression, quite properly so given the name of the event, that it was a Christmas event for children. Another person, who never attended the event but nonetheless applauded it, had not even seen the publicity for the event. So, there are lots of grounds for improvement, if the people responsible really want to do that (I would suggest a name change and change of the date of the event to begin with). And I would, by the way, agree with all of your other points above, which also can be read as critical. What often happens is that people asking for constructive criticism are really asking for anything but that and really want applause and support, and I suspect that is what happened here. What should be applauded is the dedication and enthusiasm of those volunteers who worked for a good cause. Do it again but make it much better next year. Really make an effort to change what went wrong rather than going through the lip service and the brownnosing.

3. All attendants in Thailand have whistles, as anyone who's lived here any length of time knows. It goes with being a low level official in Thailand, whether they be a policeman or a parking lot attendant. It is part of their persona. It's akin to what a stamp is to Western bureaucrats. It is their "badge of authority". And aren't you being dismissive of him by labeling him a "kid"? It's likely he was given his instructions and he was following them (yet another point to be changed).

• Like 1

I'm curious about more specific feedback about the parking situation. Was there not enough parking? Was it confusing about where to park? This seems like something we can work on for the future.

parking was a bit confusing especially during set up period, some were parked where they really shouldn't parked. Barely enough room to drive through. Possibility of signage to parking at the main JJ parking lot?