What Is Happening To Thailand?

rene123

On more than a few occasions now I have seen slim, trim Thai mothers with obese children. On each occasion the children have bags of processed, packaged food that they are stuffing their face with. It seems more common now than when I first visited Thailand in 1998. My parents in Canada always taught me to eat my fruit and veggies. I didn't get any desert if I didn't eat my veggies. Fortunately, I grew up tall and fit, and don't have to watch my weight too often. But, I still try to eat healthy food, even though I am not a fanatic about it. I remember how fat kids in school were always teased and tortured by the others. I think parents do their children a dis-service by allowing them all the junk food that they eat. The island of Okinawa near Japan has the oldest living people on the planet as far as percentages go. The people in the Himalayas rank a close second. The one thing they have in common is a healthy diet of veggies, and with limited amounts of milk products and meat.

I think that adults have the right to choose their own lifestyle, and can grow fat and lazy if that is their wish, but it's too bad they inflict it on their children. The corner stores like the 7-11 are full of products that are not good for us, and yet these seem to be the places that many Thais now shop.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I agree with you to some extent as there is a lot of high sugar food available for eating in Thailand but I've come to the realisation that it's because the children have a long day.

I teach some kids who are in school from 7am and their last lesson ends at 6:45pm - no wonder they're fed so much sugary food as its the only thing keeping them going!

But yes, adults should not inflict such lifestyles on their children if they want them to grow up and be healthy.

so? eating veggies makes you tall and fit ...mmmmmmm i have seen many people eating junk food and they are tall and fit too. its called balance of diet ..you can have some junk food and other fats in your diet and you will still be tall and fit .

so? eating veggies makes you tall and fit ...mmmmmmm i have seen many people eating junk food and they are tall and fit too. its called balance of diet ..you can have some junk food and other fats in your diet and you will still be tall and fit .

Slim, trim parents don't make fat children. The fat is a self imposed choice. Yes, there are parents who are fat, and their genes are passed onto the children, but when I see thin parents and fat children I know that their diet is wrong. And, fat children get teased continuously by other kids. Why don't the parents realize this? In Canada recently a young girl commited suicide because she was teased continuously.

Slim, trim parents don't make fat children. The fat is a self imposed choice. Yes, there are parents who are fat, and their genes are passed onto the children, but when I see thin parents and fat children I know that their diet is wrong. And, fat children get teased continuously by other kids. Why don't the parents realize this? In Canada recently a young girl commited suicide because she was teased continuously.

So what is the real topic of this thread?

my father and mother were very slim and yet two of my sisters are overweight always trying to lose it , they eat some healthy but are still overweight ...why ? they have different metabolisms .. just a thought so everyone in the world eats healthy there would be no fat people i like to see that , and guess what? everyone would be tall and fit i like to see that ...

I agree with you to some extent as there is a lot of high sugar food available for eating in Thailand but I've come to the realisation that it's because the children have a long day.

I teach some kids who are in school from 7am and their last lesson ends at 6:45pm - no wonder they're fed so much sugary food as its the only thing keeping them going!

But yes, adults should not inflict such lifestyles on their children if they want them to grow up and be healthy.

Which school has classes that end 6.45 PM ?

All schools I know in Thailand finish their classes 3 Pm at the latest.

thai kids are not like others in the rest of world, if they are fat then sometimes this become their nickname and they accept it ok and all in fun.generally theres little teasing.A Thai did once tell me fat people are held in high regard seeing how they have lots of money to eat well!

A Thai did once tell me fat people are held in high regard seeing how they have lots of money to eat well!

This is what I have also heard. Isn't there a Thai saying "When you are fat you smell good. When you are thin you stink."

The association of weight and wealth is found in other cultures as well.

my father and mother were very slim and yet two of my sisters are overweight always trying to lose it , they eat some healthy but are still overweight ...why ? they have different metabolisms .. just a thought so everyone in the world eats healthy there would be no fat people i like to see that , and guess what? everyone would be tall and fit i like to see that ...

Fat people eat too much!

Different people need different amounts of food. If you are getting fat, eat less.

That's all there is to it.

Cut out all fizzy drinks (including beer) and dairy products for a start.

Its there life let them eat what they choose.. Stop dictating as to how ppl should look and what they should eat..

You're right, nobody should teach children what is good and what's bad.

They're born full educated these days.

And I'm sure all the horny farang guys here choose fat Thai women? That has not been my experience, but maybe I'm wrong. I'm just a middle aged woman.

well lots of food can get expensive whistling.gif

but for serious after some experience here i start to think the fat farang might be better than the slim young sexy thai, then dont usually play with knivesrolleyes.gif

Edited by tingtongtourist

Now a days More and more Thai children getting fat , may be because the rush lifestyle parent don't have time to takecare their children but the good news is there are the adult who concern about it like you Rene123 ,your topic stimulate me to re think about now a days life style too

• Like 1

It's quite a diverse thread.

Pretty much, it's an opportunity for us all to feel good about ourselves. We can boast about our healthy lifestyles - that's OK, unlike boasting about your money or your girlfriends or your car. Then we can denigrate fat people, so that we not only feel good, but we feel superior. Fat people are fair game, as are alcoholics, lonely people and old people. And teachers. We can also criticize our hosts, and their material values, while pretending not to do by saying this is a 'new thing'; and at the same time, blame our western brethren and our culture that nurtured us, telling ourselves, and anyone else foolish enough to listen and believe us, that we ourselves are unusual in our broad minded appreciation of other cultures, their values and their diets.

That's what I think it's about.

Personally, I think some Thai children have a propensity to put on fat that they lose as they enter adulthood.

SC

Which school has classes that end 6.45 PM ?

All schools I know in Thailand finish their classes 3 Pm at the latest.

Many schools - I teach at a Government school, my latest lessons end in period 9 - 17:20.

Plus there are many after school clubs that students stay at until after 1900.

AFAIK no secondary school in Thailand finishes at 15:00.

Edited by chonabot

Pretty much, it's an opportunity for us all to feel good about ourselves. We can boast about our healthy lifestyles - that's OK, unlike boasting about your money or your girlfriends or your car. Then we can denigrate fat people, so that we not only feel good, but we feel superior. Fat people are fair game, as are alcoholics, lonely people and old people. And teachers. We can also criticize our hosts, and their material values, while pretending not to do by saying this is a 'new thing'; and at the same time, blame our western brethren and our culture that nurtured us, telling ourselves, and anyone else foolish enough to listen and believe us, that we ourselves are unusual in our broad minded appreciation of other cultures, their values and their diets.

Personally, I think some Thai children have a propensity to put on fat that they lose as they enter adulthood.

SC

I wasn't knocking fat people who chose to be fat as adults. That is a personal choice and it's much tougher for some than others. I just thought it sad that parents are not more in control of their children's diet. It is like anything in life; the more options you have the more likely you are to succeed and be happy. I could add a good education into the mix as well. Many people have a metabolism that allows their body to put on fat at a far greater degree than others. But, that is not what I was commenting on. I was just wondering if the availability of junk food today is causing a change in the Thai people who used to be slim and trim. I mentioned the island of Okinawa and the long lived people there. After the second world war the USA set up a military base on Okinawa, along with the fast food chain restaurants. After 20 years the diet and the longevity of the locals changed. Parents were out-living their children who had become obese.

SC

I wasn't knocking fat people who chose to be fat as adults. That is a personal choice and it's much tougher for some than others. I just thought it sad that parents are not more in control of their children's diet. It is like anything in life; the more options you have the more likely you are to succeed and be happy. I could add a good education into the mix as well. Many people have a metabolism that allows their body to put on fat at a far greater degree than others. But, that is not what I was commenting on. I was just wondering if the availability of junk food today is causing a change in the Thai people who used to be slim and trim. I mentioned the island of Okinawa and the long lived people there. After the second world war the USA set up a military base on Okinawa, along with the fast food chain restaurants. After 20 years the diet and the longevity of the locals changed. Parents were out-living their children who had become obese.

Give credit where credit is due. Go to the German area (Naklua) of Pattaya if you want to see some full figured Thai ladies. I mean it's not like fat was an American invention.

post-73727-0-64699400-1353991870_thumb.j

post-73727-0-19909500-1353991888_thumb.j

On more than a few occasions now I have seen slim, trim Thai mothers with obese children. On each occasion the children have bags of processed, packaged food that they are stuffing their face with.

Well, there's a lot of old fat farangs who married young, slim and trim Thai girls. The genes from the farang could be an explanation to this. tongue.png

I don't eat veggies but I don't eat all the time like many fat people do. I eat at lunch and at 8 pm a dinner and that was it.....nothing between.....

I grew fit....but not tall :-))

With the areas people get old: be careful. In Japan they found out, that they cheap...the grandmum is dead since 20 years, but they still let the government send the pension and in the statistics it looks like everyone gets 110 years old......The same happens in Greece.....Or in Hungary with Chinese Immigrants, when they die someone else takes the passport, so they still look fantastic even the passport tells they are already 95.