3 Inch X 660 Meter Water Line

canuckamuck

I want to run a larger pipe from a stream on our other land to our home piece. I would like it to be a minimum of 3 inch diameter. Currently we have a PVC line which is 1.5 inch but more water would be useful.

Running a 3 inch PVC line will be fairly costly, is their alternatives?

If PVC is the way to go, where can a guy get the best deal on 660 meters of pipe?

Your deal will be direct with the factory if you want, the issue will be delivery costs versus a smaller margin from a large local dealer, careful.... If it isn't buried the sun will kill it. If it is buried then you can drop down the spec. But of course digging the trench won't be free.

Have you thought about a tank at the house end and run the existing pump and line to keep that tank full. A two position float switch in the tank and your automatic. No new pipes or pumps.

It will be buried, for about 90% of its length, about half of that distance it will actually be under the stream. but the dam is further back because we don't own the land in between. We do have permission to cross with a pipe though, the new pipe will simply replace the old, so we dig up the 1.5" and drop in the 3". The ditch will be free if I dig it, but I probably wont. Good thing I have a guy on the payroll.

We do have water storage at the home piece, 3 tanks and a pond. But the water is needed for upgrading the fish farm. I want to run fresh water full time.

I ain't quitting yet! Filtration and settling ponds, or grow beds and aquaponics? I have a scheme from Pun Pun that used 4 column filters made of concrete rings that is used for a village drinking water system. Simple and cheap, my sort of stuff. Going from an 1.5 pump to 3 inch one scares me. My sewage pump (pig sty) is 3 inch at about 500 litres a minute and draws 750 watts would be unlikely to be able, no, wouldn't push the water that far! What are you planning for the pump?

I will be making a smallish fish raceway so need lots of water but aquaponics is a future project for sure.

I already made a water filtration setup with concrete rings, but that is for the household use. It was simple and cheap.

My pump will be foolproof. The water comes to me on its own, ala gravity. It gets to my place with about 3 meters of head

I guess Hdpe pipe will be the cheapest,Global house have them or can order in the size you want.

They are sold on rolls of 50 meter,easy to lay and including curves, no glueing every 4 meter just a coupling each 50 meters.If you don't go over 4 bar pressure you could use Ldpe pipe but I think the biggest diameter is 21/2 for that one.

If no Global house nearby you can order staight from super products.

http://www.superprod...glish/HDPE.html

http://www.superprod.../pipes/hdpe.pdf

I don't know the exact price, but to give you an idea. Ldpe 4 bar 1" is 1700 Bht for 200 meter.

So you can compare with 1" blue pipe to know if it will be cheaper.

Edited by jbrain

Hi Gents,

Some time ago I posted an Excel calculator that did all these calculations for you.

I dug in my files and found it, attached here.

There is a lot of faulty information floating around Thailand about water.

Some of it floats to the surface here.

If more questions than answers arise on the use of the spreadsheet,

send me an email at [email protected]

I've been in the US for a year and a half, and have a look over here on rare occasion.

Water Flow is in fact so easy that it barely qualifies as Engineering,

but if you don't have a clear handle on the rudiments

your conclusions also will be amiss.

I heard a lot of laughable nonsense in my 7 years farming in Thailand.

Things like you start with a small hose at full pump pressure,

then bump up to a larger pipe after the pressure is poor.

I advised potato farmers to double their profits on a crop simply by using 4" Pipe instead of 1.5inch

and to change to permanent set impact sprinklers rather than spray spinners on a bamboo stick.

To no avail, they continued to toss B200,000 per crop to profit loss, and were never happier than at harvest time,

Hi Gents,

Some time ago I posted an Excel calculator that did all these calculations for you.

I dug in my files and found it, attached here.

There is a lot of faulty information floating around Thailand about water.

Some of it comes to the surface here.

If more questions than answers arise on the use of the spreadsheet,

send me an email at [email protected]

With a given gravity static head 3.0 meters

660 meters is a long pipe....

If it has no bends, you presently get 22 liters / minute from 1.5 inch

You will get 135 liters/minute from 3"

I get that from changing the flow rate in the yellow cell, D11

then looking at the friction head figure in row 29

Change the decimal places from 0 to 2, so you can see the result changes exactly.

Irrigation__Calculator_20090927.xls