Possible Divorce But Money In Joint Thai Bank.

a question for southpeel - what would you do ?

I wouldn't have given her gold, bought a house in Thailand for cash in her name, put any of my money in a joint account, or taken her to my home country. But then, I like to hang on to my hard earned cash.

I wouldn't have given her gold, bought a house in Thailand for cash in her name, put any of my money in a joint account, or taken her to my home country. But then, I like to hang on to my hard earned cash.

well tommo , i think i have learned my lesson now, lets hope so rolleyes.gif things could be resolved but at the minute its not looking too good wai.gif

Tommo. As the nice person I am, I promise not a word about your divorcesettlement in the Uk.

Some people travel around the world to get robbed, not all are so "lucky", they can have it done in old Blighty! rolleyes.gif

• Like 2

Be a lot smarter of how I protected myself finanically before signing on the dotted line

.....although I must confess, I had to learn this one the hard way the first time round with my darling Ex-wife, who was a westerner, but 2nd time around, and hopefully the last time, I will never get F8kced over again by a bitter female...

my cash/savings are safely tucked away to which Mrs Soutpeel has no access, my only asset in Thailand is a car which is now 4 years old and paid for, house is on a mortgage in her name, granted I guaranteed the loan, but the monthly payments are no more than I would heve been paying rent away and there was no deposit...if everything went t*ts up...would I be prepared to walk away from what I "have" in Thailand ?....yes

Irrespective of what you have provided over the years...cash, gold, houses etc etc.....its still does not give you the right to confiscate her passport...you dont own her, she is not your slave....what you gave, you gave willingly and now things aint going to well you cant start dictating what will happen and complaining about what you gave her...remember the old Beatles line "money cant buy you love"......be thankful, and lucky you walk away with 50% of what you had....its seems to me from the offset you have not been thinking with the head on your shoulders...whistling.gif

To put things in persepctive...I was divorced 13 years ago and its taken me nearly all that time to get back to where I was financially prior to the divorce and no one is getting near those investments/cash etc except me...

if I do croak...Mrs Soutpeel has access to a very good insurance policy which will take care of her in Thailand very well and certain of my direct family members will have access to my other financial dealings and there is provision for Mrs Soutpeel as well...

• Like 2

Isn't it relaxing to read all those stories about how foreigners in this country have to protect themselves from their loved ones.

Nothing at all to do with "this country" dear boy, irrespective of were I was living in the world I would be taking the same steps....called once bitten twice shy as they say...and in my first time around....my ex was a well educated western lady, who was a very nice, loving lady for 12 years, but over a period of time changed and became a bitter, resentful shrew....the point being relationships change, the people in those relationships change for what ever reason,

So one could suggest someone who says my teerak is this or that and would never do "that" is being very naive...this maybe the case today..but in 3 years, 5 years, 10 years...you never know and one could suggest this is compounded by the fact that in Thailand, there are large numbers of geriatrics married to Thai ladies young enough to be their daughters so the changes in their teeraks with manifest quite a lot quicker

I was naive and stupid once in my life in this regard and never again, nothing to do with Thai ladies specifically, factually we all know that the about 50+% of marriages end in divorce anyway...so better being prepared thats all....see it as taking out an insurance policy, which hopefully we all do in life to protect against unforseen things going wrong in our lives....

one hopes you will never need to use this insurance but you have it in place anyway....same in relationships, better being prepared...thats what pre-nups etc are for.....wink.png

Edited by Soutpeel

Isn't it relaxing to read all those stories about how foreigners in this country have to protect themselves from their loved ones.

Everyone needs to protect themselves from their loved ones, because those are the ones that usually end up harming us most. Don't fear muggers, murderers, burglars, terrorists, armed robbers ........ in reality learn to fear your spouse.

PS. Doesn't matter what country you are in or the nationality of your spouse.

Edited by TommoPhysicist
  • Like 2