Farmaggedon 12/12/12

IsaanAussie

The Myans were farmers and they stuffed it up. Now their calendar is all but used up. What are we all doing to avoid being Farmaggedon causalities? I mean everything else here always goes off the rails, how can we ignore this timeless warning? Perhaps the Thais don't know! For God's sake don't tell 'em!

ponder, think... Mayans, that's it. I thought Myans were an obscure mountain tribe.

I should think there would be some money to be made if you convince guys that the end of the world was coming... is your farm the sanctuary that we all retreat to? Get the beer in.

Just read yahoo article, they say a lot of people got the date slightly off... not 21/12/12, it's 23/12/12...

I think the date is off alot more than that. The myan calander did not use leap years so the actual date has already passed.

Yeah, your right. They say that you realise your ambitions after you have been promoted one step past your ability. Same seems true of most civilisations. At least the ancients still built things to last, we seem keen to design ourselves for obsolescence using more and more resources to produce stuff to replace the stuff we already have. Where does it end? When we disappear up our own clackers?

If the Mayans were so smart, why are they extinct and we're still here? See ya for New Year's.

They aren't extinct. The Mayans today believe 21/12/12 just marks the end of one cycle and the start of another. There was an episode on Discovery.

Just read yahoo article, they say a lot of people got the date slightly off... not 21/12/12, it's 23/12/12...

I think the date is off alot more than that. The myan calander did not use leap years so the actual date has already passed.

They didn't need to use leap years. Their calendar is far more accurate than ours.

The Thais are well aware of it. My wife asked what preparations we were making and many of my students are talking about it.

Last year my wife came home from friends, and proclaimed. "Everybody in Thailand die next year." So after I got her to explain that nugget, there had been something on the idiot box she had seen. I explained if it was true, it wouldn't be just Thailand. rolleyes.gif

The problem we westerners have is we take ourselves to seriously. We should be more Thai and worry about things that make absolutely no difference, believe any old line of rubbish on the tube or relayed 15th hand by a fellow villager. Why can't I do that? Last night I went to the final night funeral ceremony for an nice old guy who apparently decided to end this life before the earth opens up and swallows us all. It could have been anyone in the box, even the funerals are carried of by rote.

At times Farmaggedon doesn't seem too bad an idea, at least it would get a different reaction.

• Like 1

They didn't need to use leap years. Their calendar is far more accurate than ours.

How so?

Isn't it all about humans being scared of whats to come.

Everything in their western lives is being planned and pre written already. Security, social security, insurance, contracts. People take comfort in that. Therefore people also take comfort in yet another Armageddon prediction. I mean it doesn't matter if it is accurate or not but it is a prediction made by some credible people so they tend to cling onto that. Prediction.

The western system predicts we are going to be fine when something bad happens and we take great comfort in this notion. In reality they can insure only to a certain extent.

Most Thais i know do not perceive the world like this, they take it as it comes and adapt and live day by day always bearing in mind happiness is imperative. They can think like this because no one conditioned them like we where in the west.

I predict Armageddon will not come. But the people in the west living their secure lives in this ever growing facade will meet themselves sooner or later if they go on living like this.

I choose happiness above wealth. I got this from the recent wealth thread. Hope you do not mind poster payak.

"You are free to choose to do what we tell you" - Bill Hicks

Edited by Dancealot
  • Like 1

I watched a little video clip that said people were committing suicide so they wouldn't have to witness the world coming to an end. I thought about that for a while and decided that at least the gene pool would be improved a bit.

• Like 1