Thai And Their Watch

rics21

We are having a lot of these threads lately. It can be quite intimidating in some of these Asian to see the wealth. Perhaps get out into the countryside and make you feel better?

555 rather ironical that are lots of "Thai face " posts by farangs who then proceed to show off ( farang face?) I own , I do, I know, I am, I earn......."he who dies with the most toys wins".clap2.gif

Everybody everyplace likes to be perceived as having arrived and is successful, good looking, superior etc.....it is even in nature ..witness the peacock etc.

Unless you are in the work force or in a city "time" is of little relevance in Thailand....gave away all but one of my rat race accumulated watches to rellies..made 'em happy I guess.

Most of the time I never know what day it is.........if I do need to know the time ( has the fish arrived in market yet?)..surrounded by it... on phones , in the truck, on my screen.....

Whatever floats ya boat.....thumbsup.gif

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Even the best of mechanical watches still won't beat a cheap quartz watch for accuracy.

Yes, and a 305-hp, 3.7-liter, $22,000 US V-6 Ford Mustang has a 0-60-mph time of 5.1 seconds while a flagship Rolls Royce Phantom is MUCH slower at 5.7 seconds! Somewhere, somehow, there is a difference in quality though. It's a matter of appreciating those things.

Even the best of mechanical watches still won't beat a cheap quartz watch for accuracy.

Yes, and a 305-hp, 3.7-liter, $22,000 US V-6 Ford Mustang has a 0-60-mph time of 5.1 seconds while a flagship Rolls Royce Phantom is MUCH slower at 5.7 seconds! Somewhere, somehow, there is a difference in quality though. It's a matter of appreciating those things.

remove the Rolls regulator and void the warranty...lol

• Like 1

Oddly enough I've always worn a watch on my right wrist

Does anyone know why Thais wear their expensive watches on their right hand? unsure.png

Oddly enough I've always worn a watch on my right wrist simply because it feels more comfortable and natural.

Are you left handed?

No, but my mother was and I sometimes find myself using my left hand for a lot of things except writing. Even typing this I am using my left hand more than my right.

Here's a pic of my Submariner. It's an older model 14060 using the caliber 3000 series movement (no brequet overcoil) instead of the currently used 3130 /3135.

Rolexsubmariner.jpg

Th name "submaniac" is actually from the submariner. I used to buy and sell watches as a hobby. It is my Ebay nic, and my arch rival was "submarinus" who was always bidding on the same stuff I was.

I wear it on the right hand because the Rolex sportwatches have a very large crown (the thing to set time and to wind if necessary) and it always digs into the back of my hand. I used to have quite a few rollies. I started realizing there was no point in having so many watches that I mostly never wore and I narrowed it down just to this one which has been my main watch since I got it. I have had it for about 15 years now. Worth quite a bit more than what I paid, but I won't sell it. It's my watch and me and it have gone through so many things throughout the years together that I won't sell it. Never bought it to impress anyone. I specifically always wanted a non-date submariner because when I was a kid I saw the James Bond film "Live and Let Die" where Roger Moore wore a model 5513 submariner when he was tied up with Jane Seymour. The bezel rotated like a circular saw to cut the ropes tying them up. Since then, I always wanted one and bought one when I could. Actually alot of people think it's fake because "real Rolexes have a date and a (cyclops) magnifier on the date". Don't really care if anyone thinks its real or fake. Didn't buy it for anyone but myself. I always said that I would give it to my firstborn child. You don't give your kid a fake Rolex as a keepsake of your father.

A Rolex is actually kind of on the ghetto end of high end watches. For most of the super watch fanatics, a true "high end" watch is something along the lines of a Patek, A. Lange & Son's, Audemars , or a Vacheron. If you ever look inside at the actual movements of those watches, you'll see how those manufactures finish every little piece inside the watch. Lange even paints the screws inside the movement blue. The movements are beautiful. The Rolex is like a v-8 from a Ford pickup. clunky, not well finished (I think walt odet's was the one who published a review of the Explorer 1 movement and found debris inside, which I can believe). What made Rolex so famous and good was that they were durable. I am very familiar with the Rolex movements. When buying or selling I would always check authenticity by opening the case.

@neversure, I would never own another gold Rolex or two tone gold Rolex. Had a two tone GMT (the burgundy colored one). The gold Rolex uses is 18k which is more pure than most any other watch. I guess it is good in that you are getting a high gold content, but always bugged the hell out of me because gold is a soft metal and it was always picking up scratches. I will only do stainless steel on a Rolex.

• Like 2

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/COSC#section_2

Sorry G'dyp - it is you know nothing about mechanical watches - period eos. This is the second time you have stated that it is acceptable and within standards for a watch to be off 20secs a day. Well certainly not by COSC standards! Any watch that far off and Id just as soon have a quartz.

Here they are so please finish with it!

post-87028-0-32000000-1354264298_thumb.j

Sorry, I screwed up the quotes...

Well, my Omega runs very well. Ten years. Nice thing too, I am not bored of it. Its why this model is going for such big money. Very nice dial and hannds.

Just sayin about Seiko's...almost any quartz watch really. Yes, there is the odd Seiko that can command half its original price. Then there are the Grand Seikos. Those are real watches, but not even in same class astheir other stuff.

To the poster stating watches off by 20secs a day...yeah, if its broken. More like 1-3 and can be + as well as -

You don't really know what you are talking about.

Of course, Rolexes and Omegas are very fine watches, I'd be happy to own one. But they are completly overpriced. You mostly pay for marketing when you buy those...

Seiko or Orient don't only make crappy quartz models. They have a lot of fine mechanical watches for a fraction of the cost of a rolex

Is this watch Rolex_116200_Black_L.jpg really worth 15 times more than this one montre-homme-seiko-automatique-sarb029.jpg

Or this one http://www.watchmaxx.com/images/watch_images/item/2503.33.00.jpg 25 times more than this one 656f5035696d56524e6a536e33725751744d67-149x149-0-0.jpg

Unless you are an expert, the difference in quality is pretty hard to notice. And what you gain in reliability, you lose it when you have to service your rolex or omega every 10 years (or 5 years according to the companies guidelines) for the price of a few seikos... Unless you are very well off or a watch enthousiast, it's a complete waste of money imho.

Edited by pistachios

I am not a watch person but those are quite beautiful.

Thanks

There's a whole bunch of them:

http://ninanet.net/w.../launchpad.html

Love the Robert Swan Citizen. I have a Reactor Photon which is close as I could get to that watch.

Sorry, I screwed up the quotes...

Well, my Omega runs very well. Ten years. Nice thing too, I am not bored of it. Its why this model is going for such big money. Very nice dial and hannds.

Just sayin about Seiko's...almost any quartz watch really. Yes, there is the odd Seiko that can command half its original price. Then there are the Grand Seikos. Those are real watches, but not even in same class astheir other stuff.

To the poster stating watches off by 20secs a day...yeah, if its broken. More like 1-3 and can be + as well as -

You don't really know what you are talking about.

Of course, Rolexes and Omegas are very fine watches, I'd be happy to own one. But they are completly overpriced. You mostly pay for marketing when you buy those...

Seiko or Orient don't only make crappy quartz models. They have a lot of fine mechanical watches for a fraction of the cost of a rolex

Is this watch Rolex_116200_Black_L.jpg really worth 15 times more than this one montre-homme-seiko-automatique-sarb029.jpg

Or this one http://www.watchmaxx.../2503.33.00.jpg 25 times more than this one 656f5035696d56524e6a536e33725751744d67-149x149-0-0.jpg

Unless you are an expert, the difference in quality is pretty hard to notice. And what you gain in reliability, you lose it when you have to service your rolex or omega every 10 years (or 5 years according to the companies guidelines) for the price of a few seikos... Unless you are very well off or a watch enthousiast, it's a complete waste of money imho.

Judging by your post, you don't understand value or watches, but I'm tired of flogging this horse.

You seem to know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Yes, those two watches both tell.great time. In that respect, they are no different. After that there are miles of difference. Having said that, I think rolex are boring and over priced. They are not a watch I will ever own. At that price, yhete are some stunning watches but many reason (because I know nothing about watches) they hold value is that there isno and it is t

gray market, watches are only discounted 5-10% off msrp. They are often traded like cash. Finally, they are the no-nothings elite watch. People with real style will choose another brand. Gold rolex is just sort of vulgar.

Rolex and Tudor do make great tool watches though. The new Milgauss, Rolex and my fave the Tudor date sub.

But what do I know, Im no expert

Your humble opinion? Not so much.

• Like 1

I'm going to disable the clock on my mobile phone so then I will need to wear a rolex submariner on my left hand and set its time wrong so I can wear a petak on right hand and roll up my sleeves so everyone can see me and them. I'll also be secure in my suspenders and belt to hold up my pants. Should I wear a fob watch or would that be taking it too far?

• Like 2

@neversure, I would never own another gold Rolex or two tone gold Rolex. Had a two tone GMT (the burgundy colored one). The gold Rolex uses is 18k which is more pure than most any other watch. I guess it is good in that you are getting a high gold content, but always bugged the hell out of me because gold is a soft metal and it was always picking up scratches. I will only do stainless steel on a Rolex.

The 18K in a Rolex is an alloy of gold and unicorn bone. :) Rolex has its own gold foundry and is the largest single user of gold in Switzerland. Its gold formula is proprietary, and I have no idea how they make it both so hard and so yellow, but they do. Mine doesn't scratch easily, but I do stop by the dealer occasionally and have it polished. Over time the crystal will get a little dull and it's really nice to have a fresh polish on that too. I've never seen a deep scratch; just mild dullness.

I'm going to disable the clock on my mobile phone so then I will need to wear a rolex submariner on my left hand and set its time wrong so I can wear a petak on right hand and roll up my sleeves so everyone can see me and them. I'll also be secure in my suspenders and belt to hold up my pants. Should I wear a fob watch or would that be taking it too far?

Nah, you'll have a lot of time on your hands.

• Like 2

I think it quite important to point out that 98% of the general Thai population would probably not be able to spend frivolously even on a decent knock-off.

That's not in the least important to point out.

Your average Thai will not make enough money in their whole lifetime to be able to buy one collector's Breitling, Tag, Rolex, whatever.

We all know that, which is why it's not in the least important to point out.

So when you say "Thai(s) and their watches". You're talking about a percentile of Thais so small and insignificant that it's not in any way a reflection of how the Thai population actually regard watches.

But the larger percentiles, had they the means, would regard them in the same way as the small percentile. So the point is actually a lot more general and relevant than you'd wish to admit.

You just want to poor-mouth on behalf of the have-nots as part of an "Occupy The Thais And Their Watches thread" stance. Didn't work.

I think maybe we have overestimated owning a Rolex. I agree that very poor people might not be able to own one, but many, many people could buy a good used one if they would settle for one the age of mine. I see Thais in the countryside with new pickups which cost many, many times (pardon pun) what a nice Rolex costs.

It just isn't that big of a deal, and I fear too many think we are boasting. We're not. Another knowledgeable Rolex owner readily said he deals in used, even buying and selling. Most people can't tell the difference in used, and today I highly recommend it:

Link

Link

Edit. I repeat that I had the local authorized dealer send mine to the factory for repairs after almost 25 years. The cost was an amazing $600 US and included a complete new movement. With that I got a certificate of authenticity, a certificate of the work they did, a new Rolex box and a two year warranty. Hard to beat I'd say.

Edited by NeverSure

I would disagree with the generalization that Thai people can't afford a Rolex/Breitling/Etc. or don't care enough to own. Ok, yes, your average Somchai motorcycle taxi driver of food stall seller probably cannot buy a nice watch. But alot of Thai people that I know and ran across the real deal and cherish them. When I say that, I am not meaning that they go out and buy a new diamond encrusted watch. I mean I know plenty of Thais who are older (40's, 50's, 60's) who bought a Rolex, Breitling, Omega when they were younger and keep them their lives. I know several Thais who have windup (non automatic) Rolexes that they got when they were younger. My mom's sister-in-law's sister's husband (well basically my auntie's husband) has an omega seamaster from the 1980's) that he had since he was a young(er) man.

I bought my Rolex when I was in my 20's, and I'm keeping it for my life, and am giving to my children (which I don't have yet) when I die. In the grand scheme of things, as a lifetime investment, as a watch I can wear the rest of my life without feeling bad that it is an old, out of date watch, it's a small investment. For alot of people these watches aren't for showing off, they are meant to be heirlooms.

Have you ever gone to Chatuchuk? Do you realize there is a thriving market in used vintage watches there? Like old Breitlings, old Rolexes. People buy them. Even "poor" people buy 'em. Even though it's old they treasure them. They're happy to have the old wind up model Rolexes from the 40's. Why? Because it is a good watch that they can pass down to their kids. The Thais, as a people, do care about their watches and their jewelry.

Rolex isn't for everyone, and yes, I would be happy with an Omega seamaster (I also have an omega constellation). I just wanted the Rolex for the James Bond connection.

I just am worried that this thread will turn into a poo-poo thread. The folks with Rolexes and Breitlings and Omegas poo pooing those who don't have 'em. Then the have nots poo-pooing the owners of these watches as arrogant snobs.

My thoughts: geez, does it matter what kind of watch I want to own? Does anyone else care? I bought it with MY money, that I worked hard for, and that I didn't swindle from someone else. If I want to buy a Rolex, it's my prerogative. Similarly if someone doesn't want to spend the coin on a Rolex and where's a casio-G shock, why should I care either. To each his own.

• Like 1

What's the point of having a watch that you don't wear

You get to boast to anonymous strangers on the internet about your vast wealth and extraordinarily good taste. No, hang on: people who buy expensive watches do so without giving a thought to the impression this creates on other people. Clearly that's why they've posted on this thread - they're utterly indifferent to what other people think.

I know a couple of Thais who own rolexes but keep them in their safes. One even wears a fake rolexunsure.png

What's the point of having a watch that you don't wear? Certainly not for investment purposes.

Why not? It'll age better in a safe. Myself I prefer display cases.... and again just for me and family members to enjoy. A nice watch is no different than a pair of nice shoes. As for motorized toys, if I wanted to attract gawkers, I wouldn't have tinted glass.

:)

Edited by Heng

You get to boast to anonymous strangers on the internet about your vast wealth and extraordinarily good taste. No, hang on: people who buy expensive watches do so without giving a thought to the impression this creates on other people. Clearly that's why they've posted on this thread - they're utterly indifferent to what other people think.

That's simply not true, and I regret entering this thread in the way I did due to misconceptions. Most people like something special whether it be a new car, a big flat screen TV, a fine hunting shotgun, an excellent set of golf clubs...

Some people just like to collect. Some consider it a good financial investment. I wasn't smart enough to plan it, but it happens that the things I collect have gone up more in value than inflation or certainly the stock market. They've beaten compound interest. That's just pure luck because I bought them because I like them, not because I could see the future.

Now, I just posted a link to where you can buy a beautiful used gold and stainless Rolex with Jubilee bracelet on Ebay for $2500 US. That's within the reach of most farangs who really want one. If I was bragging about my new Rolls, then I'd get your point. (No, I don't have one, LOL.)

Please understand. We aren't talking about something that's only for the wealthy. Sure, you have to love watches to fork over $2500, but it isn't a rich man's game.

I sincerely apologize for leaving the wrong impression at first. I see I did and it's my mistake. I made the mistake of not first explaining that you can buy a stainless Rolex for maybe $1,000. It's not for everyone just as golfing and a nice set of clubs isn't, but it's not a sign of wealth nor is it intended as boasting.

Peace.