Thai And Their Watch

rics21

I know a couple of Thais who own rolexes but keep them in their safes. One even wears a fake rolexunsure.png

What's the point of having a watch that you don't wear? Certainly not for investment purposes.

Why not? It'll age better in a safe. Myself I prefer display cases.... and again just for me and family members to enjoy. A nice watch is no different than a pair of nice shoes. As for motorized toys, if I wanted to attract gawkers, I wouldn't have tinted glass.

smile.png

Age better, how does a watch age better? We're not talking wine here. No different than a nice pair of shoes? Who puts their shoes in a display case?

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I know a couple of Thais who own rolexes but keep them in their safes. One even wears a fake rolexunsure.png

What's the point of having a watch that you don't wear? Certainly not for investment purposes.

Why not? It'll age better in a safe. Myself I prefer display cases.... and again just for me and family members to enjoy. A nice watch is no different than a pair of nice shoes. As for motorized toys, if I wanted to attract gawkers, I wouldn't have tinted glass.

smile.png

Age better, how does a watch age better? We're not talking wine here. No different than a nice pair of shoes? Who puts their shoes in a display case?

As in, fewer chips and scratches, that's not to say they shouldn't be worn on special occasions or whenever you happened to feel like it though. In winding display cases, your automatics will also last longer.

*yawn*

It's all relative.

smile.png

Edited by Heng

The Thai lawyer who arranged the Chanoot on my house had a display case full of genuine Panerais, there must have been 20 or more, and another display case full of leather Panerai straps. The prices Thai lawyers charge, I wasn't surprised.

Clearly there are a few Farangs using the wrong lawyers!

The Thai lawyer who arranged the Chanoot on my house had a display case full of genuine Panerais, there must have been 20 or more, and another display case full of leather Panerai straps. The prices Thai lawyers charge, I wasn't surprised.

Clearly there are a few Farangs using the wrong lawyers!

Show me a Thai lawyer that doesn't charge like a wounded bull. Their exorbitant fees are totally at odds with the cost of living in Thailand.

Does anyone know why Thais wear their expensive watches on their right hand? unsure.png

Once in South Africa (which is also a left-hand drive country), I saw a man driving a brand new BMW with his right hand out of the window, displaying a gold Rolex while tapping his fingers on the roof. tongue.png

Perhaps the guy has just been to Chong Mek. whistling.gif ....................smile.png

It’s authentic, if I am not wrong - I do collect watches. There is the ceramic bezel on his aquaracer , most fakes don’t do ceramics.

And how did you test said "ceramicity?"

Dishwasher, if the writing came off its a fake.

Does anyone know why Thais wear their expensive watches on their right hand? unsure.png

Once in South Africa (which is also a left-hand drive country), I saw a man driving a brand new BMW with his right hand out of the window, displaying a gold Rolex while tapping his fingers on the roof. tongue.png

How sad these folk are eh!!

I'm thinking about getting one of these. Any thoughts?

post-123755-0-25869700-1354337256_thumb.

Yeah, no different to the people wearing any brand name for the sake of "look at me" syndrome

99% of people wouldn't know a $10,000 watch from a $10 watch, so the only people who are going to notice are 1% of the population. Hardly worth spending the money I would have thought.

Reminds me of when Bluetooth headsets first arrived on the scene, people wearing them on the same ear as the drivers side window, which was rolled down for exhibition. :rolleyes:

Yet another Japanese attempt at trying to be something that it isn't because the depth of that particular school of aesthetics and mechanical design just isn't common currency in their culture. That is why they will never command the same prices as Patek Philippe, Rolex, Vacheron Constantin et al.

Yes, it functions, but only obtusely so.

They could try to mine and develop the design sensibilities that are abundant in their culture in order to produce these watches but for some reason it doesn't happen. I just find it a bit sad really, like those Lexus LS430s of the 90s trying desperately to look like a Mercedes S500. A cringe-worthily hard try.

Edited by Trembly

Yet another Japanese attempt at trying to be something that it isn't because the depth of that particular school of aesthetics and mechanical design just isn't common currency in their culture. That is why they will never command the same prices as Patek Philippe, Rolex, Vacheron Constantin et al.

They could try to mine and develop the design sensibilities that are abundant in their culture in order to produce these watches but for some reason it doesn't happen. I just find it a bit sad really, like those Lexus LS430s of the 90s trying desperately to look like a Mercedes S500. A cringe-worthily hard try.

Spoken like a true snob. You'll be saying that the Japanese can't produce a decent sports car next.

Spoken like a true snob. You'll be saying that the Japanese can't produce a decent sports car next.

Wrong. Try again. How predictably obtuse. rolleyes.gif

• Like 1