D-Day For Alcohol As Public Health Ministry Prepare Enforcement

george

D-Day for alcohol as Public Health Ministry prepares enforcement

BANGKOK: -- Thailand's Ministry of Public Health has set the first of March as its D-DAY to start enforcing its ban of every kind of alcoholic drinks at all ministry premises throughout the country, according to Public Health Minister Pinij Jarusombat.

The minister's latest move followed the earlier announcement he made last Friday that the ban on smoking and drinking in the ministry's headquarters in suburban Nonthaburi would be strictly enforced.

Starting March 1, the 24-hour ban against selling and drinking alcohol on public health department premises be imposed at over 10,000 locations under the supervision of the Public Health Ministry, ranging from provincial public health offices, hospitals of all sizes and levels, to all state medical and health service centres nationwide, he said.

"From the next month on, every square inch of the public heath ministry, including the minister's and high-ranking officials' rooms, must be free from alcohol of all kinds, no matter whiskey, beer, wine, and anything with an alcohol content," he said.

Under the terms of the ban, Mr. Pinij said, alcohol will not even be allowed for any celebration on any occasion at allministry premises nationwide. Only fruit and vegetable juices, soft drinks or water are allowed to be served, he said

The minister noted that the official announcement would be made by the Disease Control Department to notify all ministerial employees prior to the effective date of the ban.

He said he believed that the prohibition of alcohol sale and consumption at the public health ministry would lead to the imposition of the ban at other ministries soon.

--TNA 2006-02-13

"From the next month on, every square inch of the public heath ministry, including the minister's and high-ranking officials' rooms, must be free from alcohol of all kinds, no matter whiskey, beer, wine, and anything with an alcohol content," he said.

except of course the medicinal - check the ministers degree... :o:D:D

Thailand's Ministry of Public Health has set the first of March as its D-DAY to start enforcing its ban of every kind of alcoholic drinks at all ministry premises throughout the country

announcement he made last Friday that the ban on smoking and drinking in the ministry's headquarters in suburban Nonthaburi would be strictly enforced.

Starting March 1, the 24-hour ban against selling and drinking alcohol on public health department premises be imposed at over 10,000 locations

OK OK - I think the above quotes pretty much clarify what's going on

.... but I'll admit it's way too easy to get sarcastic when this next bit is taken out of context

I love that "anything with an alcohol content" bit - but we should be careful that it doesn't lead to UK-style refusal of treatment for anyone who's been drinking or smoking a-la-Southampton Hospital.

He said he believed that the prohibition of alcohol sale and consumption at the public health ministry would lead to the imposition of the ban at other ministries soon.

Can't wait to see him get that one imposed at the Ministry of Culture or the Ministry of Foreign Affairs with all the banquets and formal entertainment functions they host for dignitaries from around the world, including heads of state and monarchs ..... can just imagine this little erk of a Minister telling Prince Charles that he cannot have his favourite pink champagne, or yelling at Hu Jin Tao for gulping rice wine to flambouyant yelling of "Gambe" as he gropes the waitresses - all in the traditional style of high level Chinese Political soirees?

Had to admit to checking the calendar before replying to this - yup, still February - not April yet.

What about those swabs they smear you with before a jab...we can still suck on those, right?

What about those swabs they smear you with before a jab...we can still suck on those, right?

hospitals without alcohol? :o

BANGKOK: -- Thailand's Ministry of Public Health has set the first of March as its D-DAY to start enforcing its ban of every kind of alcoholic drinks at all ministry premises throughout the country, according to Public Health Minister Pinij Jarusombat.

--TNA 2006-02-13

================================================================

Halloooooo guys; are we missing something here ? ? ? ? I am a Dutch-Canadian-Kiwi and I can assure you that in these 'civilized' countries there never HAS been such a thing as "alcoholic beverages" on the premises of the Ministry of Public Health. Come to think of it, neither would you find this "Devil's Liquid" inside Police Stations, Libraries, Post-Offices etc.

:o

C'mon; what the hel_l are we talking about. It is ridiculous to have 'booze' inside government offices in the first place.

:D

These people are paid for by the public ! If they're going to do any drinking, they should be doing that in their own time (first of all !) and certainly NOT at work, just like the rest of us. How many of us 'workers' would get away with "drinking-at-work" ? ?

The smart and savy entrepreneur will open up a bar just outside of the alcohol restrictive area. Then advertise special health ministry happy hours. Show your health ministry ID and get a free drink. Then become rich and run for prime minister.

All future health ministry functions likely will be held at ball rooms of expensive hotels because he did not say Health Ministry functions off ministry primises would also be effected by this ban.

Of course these alcoholic Health Ministry functions will most likely be funded by taxes from Thai citizens.

I think in the future, Public Health Minister Pinij Jarusombat, will be the first person at Health Ministry functions and last one to leave as non-alcoholic functions are at best,.......boring.

Who would want to attend?

The smart and savy entrepreneur will open up a bar just outside of the alcohol restrictive area. Then advertise special health ministry happy hours. Show your health ministry ID and get a free drink.

Fear not. Taksin's second cousin's sister's driver probably brought all available lots weeks ago.

Uncanny business sense.

From little things, big things grow... great to see thai policy makers taking small steps toward the future health of it's people 'a la' many western (more enlightened?) nations. The cost savings to the taxpayer will be monumental in 20 years. A great investment.

As a heavy smoker and drinker this enlightened policy doesn't suit me, but I get it.

I'm just waiting for hotels to come "out of the closet" as exclusevely non-smoking, in the manner that many have done here in Aus. In a few months time Queensland Law will prohibit smoking in any pub or club period. It's the way of the world.

Random breath testing all over thailand would be another logical step for a governement which seems to me to put themselves first second and third.

Edited by mullup

From little things, big things grow...

Random breath testing all over thailand would be another logical step for a governement which seems to me to put themselves first second and third.

Perhaps they should start such testing in the offices of the 'law makers'. :D

The minister's latest move followed the earlier announcement he made last Friday that the ban on smoking and drinking in the ministry's headquarters in suburban Nonthaburi would be strictly enforced.

Starting March 1, the 24-hour ban against selling and drinking alcohol on public health department premises be imposed at over 10,000 locations under the supervision of the Public Health Ministry, ranging from provincial public health offices, hospitals of all sizes and levels, to all state medical and health service centres nationwide, he said.

Under the terms of the ban, Mr. Pinij said, alcohol will not even be allowed for any celebration on any occasion at allministry premises nationwide. Only fruit and vegetable juices, soft drinks or water are allowed to be served, he said

The minister noted that the official announcement would be made by the Disease Control Department to notify all ministerial employees prior to the effective date of the ban.

--TNA 2006-02-13

The Public Health Ministry will be alcohol-free, starting March 1.

Public Health Minister Pinij Jarusombat (พินิจ จารุสมบัติ) declared a ban on alcohol in all of the ministry’s buildings, as the ministry aims to be a role model for staying healthy.

Mr. Pinij said that the Public Health Ministry has a policy for its agencies, including offices in provincial, district, and community levels, to ban sale and consumption of alcoholic beverages in their premises. The ban will cover personal cells and the minister’s office. The ban is effective around the clock, and will be enforced starting March 1.

Mr. Pinij added that the rule also forbids alcohol at parties held at the Ministry or its agencies.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 14 Febuary 2006

Back in the 60's I was an in-patient at The London Hospital (London, UK that is). Every patient over the age of 18 was entitled to a bottle of light ale or stout every day courtesy of the National Health Service, as it was felt that this would help the healing process. I was 18 at the time and quite chuffed with this. It didn't do me no harm!

So no more boozing in hospitals? What a sad day!

--TNA 2006-02-13

================================================================

Halloooooo guys; are we missing something here ? ? ? ? I am a Dutch-Canadian-Kiwi and I can assure you that in these 'civilized' countries there never HAS been such a thing as "alcoholic beverages" on the premises of the Ministry of Public Health. Come to think of it, neither would you find this "Devil's Liquid" inside Police Stations, Libraries, Post-Offices etc.

C'mon; what the hel_l are we talking about. It is ridiculous to have 'booze' inside government offices in the first place.

:D

These people are paid for by the public ! If they're going to do any drinking, they should be doing that in their own time (first of all !) and certainly NOT at work, just like the rest of us. How many of us 'workers' would get away with "drinking-at-work" ? ?

Well spoken Jaap, There should be a law already, for alcoholic-bev's in/on/at these premiseses.

As bartender / manager in "my" bar, the staff isn't even allowed to have an alcoholic drink (no! not even beer) till about 90 minutes before closing time, and even then there are limits.

And by the way, You can't drink and drive at the same time.

The thing that kills me about this, is their thought that it's "neccessary" to begin with. I mean... these are adults right? Are they drinking at work or what? Has there been some kind of a problem with drunken ministry employees goofing up at work or something? But, really this is typical Thailand (T.I.T.) -- only in that they think they can regulate everything... including morality... They just don't get the reality of it all. Once you understand the nature of a thing... you can begin to understand what it is capable of...

Come on.

This is joke??????

Should be April 1st.

WHY?

What's your problem with banning the consumption of alcohol and smoking in office buildings, etc. let alone those places mentioned in another earlier post? I'm sure you would be most impressed if someone smoking came into a hospital ward where you were a patient or even stank of stale tobacco. Since when was it acceptable to drink in offices in the UK while at work? Certainly not in the last 30+ years and smoking has been banned in most UK offices for a number of years.

I think you are a joke!

I can understand what they are trying to do, they want to present a "Healthy" image in places that are repsonsible for caring about Health. But I DO think that there are some flaws in the way they write their documents. I think they should submit their Proposals to some English Or Thai Language Professors, then to some Legal people before they just come out and make Policy without THINKING about what they are Saying. "Anything with Alcohol Content" sounds like they are trying to play the Hard Nose again, and coming off sounding like Idiots in the Process.

My biggest fear, as a few others have already stated, is that this is just the beginning, and soon they will try to make this Policy Sweep across the Country until Alcohol is Banned all across Thailand. Republicans do not believe that Alcohol should be Legal anywhere, and as long as Thailand is being run by Republicans, then they will as a matter of Course, try to enforce their Personal Beliefs.

What everyone in Thailand needs to do, is pay attention to how the Republicans act, pay attention to the things they DO, pay attention to how they Word things with their Hard nosed style, and pay attention to how they act like they really don't care what anyone else thinks. Because as soon as the people of this world Realize how Ignorant, and Billigerent, the Republicans are, then MAYBE people will stop Supporting them, and allow everyone to live FREE again.