Thailand's National Human Rights Commission To Hear Chalerm's Testimony On Protest

webfact

NHRC to hear Chalerm's testimony on protest

THE NATION

30195234-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) will summon Deputy Prime Minister Chalerm Yoobamrung to testify at the December 7 hearing on the Pitak Siam rally.

The NHRC is expected to complete its fact-finding probe within 30 days, before drawing its conclusion on alleged human-rights violations in connection with the rally.

Police fired tear-gas canisters and clashed with protesters at Makawan Rangsan Bridge near Government House on Saturday.

"Should abuses be found, the NHRC will make recommendations for relevant agencies to rectify the situation," commission member Niran Pitakwatchara said.

Although the NHRC has no power to enforce its recommendations, it can initiate a judicial review on the victims' behalf, he said.

NHRC chairwoman Amara Pongsapich said the upcoming hearing would get to the bottom of the matter.

Activist and Pitak Siam ally Boworn Yasinthorn called for the NHRC to petition the Administrative Court for a review of whether the government was justified in invoking the Internal Security Act.

Despite the Constitution Court ruling sanctioning the rally, the government denied the protesters their right to public assembly by citing the ISA, Boworn said.

He said the government had violated human rights through four actions - denying access to the rally site, using excessive force and tear gas against protesters, blocking ambulances from servicing the injured, and arresting news crews on duty.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-11- 29

One hopes he can still remember, who it was that he was so confident he used to 'know', was the leader of the Black-Shirts ?

And give details of the distant former-PM's/family's involvement, in financing/broadcasting/leading the protesters.

Time to tell the rest-of-the-world, DPM !

Love the photo, a man offering no resistance about to be beaten. But another lame NGO only able to offer a 'recommendation'. Chalerm knew what he was doing, knew he ordered retaliation with extreme prejudice (direct from a high ranking uniformed 'mate'). But again, nothing really will come of this, only more hatred and division of Thai people. We can just look forward to then next one or a future civil war.

the government denied the protesters their right to public assembly by citing the ISA,

Well, he needs to go find someone who couldn't reach the protest site, because, I think I watched a rally on TV on the weekend, with quite a few people who managed to get there.

This is actually quite interesting, because, it would be nice to find out what are the technical rights of public assembly. People have taken over entire stretches of road, put up permenant structures in public spaces for months on end. What is the legality of this for all sides?

Love the photo, a man offering no resistance about to be beaten. But another lame NGO only able to offer a 'recommendation'. Chalerm knew what he was doing, knew he ordered retaliation with extreme prejudice (direct from a high ranking uniformed 'mate'). But again, nothing really will come of this, only more hatred and division of Thai people. We can just look forward to then next one or a future civil war.

That's not what I see.

The cop does have a baton in his LEFT hand & that arm raised. He also has a shield on the same arm. He's holding the shield up, nor preparing to strike IMO.

They are either helping the guy up or moving him on as he's doing the standard sit down protest thing.

Edited by pedro01
  • Like 2

The officer on the left of the photo does indeed have a baton in his left and and is using his left hand which is through the sheild grip to hold the baton in order to free his right hand to take hold of the guy on the ground. No foul in this specific picture

• Like 2

I'd just like to add that I think this response gives a very accurate glimpse of the real issue that Thailand faces today...

"Love the photo, a man offering no resistance about to be beaten. But another lame NGO only able to offer a 'recommendation'. Chalerm knew what he was doing, knew he ordered retaliation with extreme prejudice (direct from a high ranking uniformed 'mate'). But again, nothing really will come of this, only more hatred and division of Thai people. We can just look forward to then next one or a future civil war."

Far too many people are so blindly loyal to their chosen cause that they can create a situation out of nothing, not able to trust their own eyes let alone their brains. So quick to jump on every perceived slight that furthers their own rhetoric, reality be damned.

Love a photo that you've taken to be an act of police brutality even though it quite clearly isn't? Love? What a strange word to use. Then alluding to the hatred and division this will cause with seemingly no conception of the fact that it is just this type of distortion of the facts that leads to this divide in the first place.

Looking forward to the next perceived act of police brutality or a civil war? Why would anyone look forward to the country tearing itself apart and the ensuing bloodshed and loss of life that would come with that? Only a complete madman hopes for a civil war or someone that stands to gain greatly from the ruins of the country.

We have a democracy in Thailand, a fragile one but a developing one. It's not perfect but neither are the more established democracies of the West. The Thai people are starting to grasp that they hold some modicum of power in their vote and it seems that even the established power brokers in Thailand are starting to realise that they ignore the will of the people at their own peril.

What I find really depressing are that these types of comments on TV are from foreigners, supposedly educated foreigners; what hope do the Thai people have of seeing through all of this empty rhetoric and finger pointing if we can't? Until the quality of education in this country improves considerably and people are taught to question authority rather than being willingly led by various cretins with their own agendas at play, I doubt we will see any real change in the petty political infighting this country has been plagued with and the self serving nature of those that come to power.

I'd just like to add that I think this response gives a very accurate glimpse of the real issue that Thailand faces today...

"Love the photo, a man offering no resistance about to be beaten. But another lame NGO only able to offer a 'recommendation'. Chalerm knew what he was doing, knew he ordered retaliation with extreme prejudice (direct from a high ranking uniformed 'mate'). But again, nothing really will come of this, only more hatred and division of Thai people. We can just look forward to then next one or a future civil war."

Far too many people are so blindly loyal to their chosen cause that they can create a situation out of nothing, not able to trust their own eyes let alone their brains. So quick to jump on every perceived slight that furthers their own rhetoric, reality be damned.

Love a photo that you've taken to be an act of police brutality even though it quite clearly isn't? Love? What a strange word to use. Then alluding to the hatred and division this will cause with seemingly no conception of the fact that it is just this type of distortion of the facts that leads to this divide in the first place.

Looking forward to the next perceived act of police brutality or a civil war? Why would anyone look forward to the country tearing itself apart and the ensuing bloodshed and loss of life that would come with that? Only a complete madman hopes for a civil war or someone that stands to gain greatly from the ruins of the country.

We have a democracy in Thailand, a fragile one but a developing one. It's not perfect but neither are the more established democracies of the West. The Thai people are starting to grasp that they hold some modicum of power in their vote and it seems that even the established power brokers in Thailand are starting to realise that they ignore the will of the people at their own peril.

What I find really depressing are that these types of comments on TV are from foreigners, supposedly educated foreigners; what hope do the Thai people have of seeing through all of this empty rhetoric and finger pointing if we can't? Until the quality of education in this country improves considerably and people are taught to question authority rather than being willingly led by various cretins with their own agendas at play, I doubt we will see any real change in the petty political infighting this country has been plagued with and the self serving nature of those that come to power.

"Far too many people are so blindly loyal to their chosen cause that they can create a situation out of nothing, not able to trust their own eyes let alone their brains. So quick to jump on every perceived slight that furthers their own rhetoric, reality be damned". Read this to yourself several times and sit for a while and let brain engage. Anything?

I know it was a good one but no need to quote it in triplicate!

No to be honest having read that back a few times I think it holds true. If you are suggesting that I am somehow blinkered in my opinions then I would refute that and say I call foul when I see it and certainly don't do so based on any political leanings.

If you feel I am somehow prejudiced please cite something specific that you are basing your view on; I try to come across pretty neutral here but am aware that I often end up debating points with our less democratically leaning comrades on TV. If you've taken that as a political affiliation one way or the other then you are way off mark but are of course, entitled to your view. wai2.gif

Edit to add. Do you actually have an opinion on the article or photo used in the OP or just me?! wink.png

Edited by Ferangled

Yes at first glance it appears that the policeman is holding a baton above his head, ready to strike the man but on closer inspection I don't see anyone being beaten or about to be beaten in that photo. It looks more like the policeman is holding his riot shield up to cover both himself and the guy on the ground from projectiles being thrown from the crowd, while reaching down with his other hand to help him up... that was my interpretation of the photo, without any attached commentary or prejudice.

How did you take it as the police about to beat the man? Do you have any additional information about that incident not included in the OP?

Actually looking at the photo I would guess the guy is plain clothed police, he is wearing a bullet proof vest, or that is what it looks like to me!

Sent from my GT-P6200 using Thaivisa Connect App

Yes at first glance it appears that the policeman is holding a baton above his head, ready to strike the man but on closer inspection I don't see anyone being beaten or about to be beaten in that photo. It looks more like the policeman is holding his riot shield up to cover both himself and the guy on the ground from projectiles being thrown from the crowd, while reaching down with his other hand to help him up... that was my interpretation of the photo, without any attached commentary or prejudice.

How did you take it as the police about to beat the man? Do you have any additional information about that incident not included in the OP?

Actually looking at the photo I would guess the guy is plain clothed police, he is wearing a bullet proof vest, or that is what it looks like to me!

Sent from my GT-P6200 using Thaivisa Connect App

If that's a bullet proof vest, he's in deep sh!t if anyone shoots at him.

I think it's just a backpack on the wrong way around.

"How did you take it as the police about to beat the man?" ... "Yes at first glance it appears that the policeman is holding a baton above his head, ready to strike the man"

"How did you take it as the police about to beat the man?" ... "Yes at first glance it appears that the policeman is holding a baton above his head, ready to strike the man"

..and that is, how rumors and wrong accusations start!

Yes, and it's probably why that photo was used.

You can take whatever you want from the photo. Defenders of the police will say they're only doing their job & the raised baton is not poised to strike. Those who dislike (to put it mildly) the police say it's more brutality.

For me, it's not clear in this case but they didn't hold back on the journalists.

Yes, and it's probably why that photo was used.

Do you believe it's coincidence that this photo was used by this particular news outlet, namely The Nation?

Do you believe it's coincidence that this photo was used by this particular news outlet, namely The Nation?

Reading is a good skill to have.

"..and that is, how rumors and wrong accusations start!" ... "Yes, and it's probably why that photo was used."

Did the NHRC also summon Robert A.? He knows all about it and wrote

"The Idiot's Guide to Thai Elite Coups, Part II"

http://robertamsterd...-coups-part-ii/

Mind you, I'm surprised to read that 20,000 protesters showed up, I thought most reliable government outlets agreed on hardly 10,000?

The photo in the OP seems to show a police officer who has moved his baton from right to left arm to help an 'unknown' to get up. The shield is perpendicular to the concrete barrier and to shields of other police visible, so unlikely to be used to protect against objects thrown. With the police wearing gas masks and still some clouds of it visible it may be the "unknown" stood down wind and got teary eyed. All in all the photo seems to show a 'police friendly' rather than a protester or someone from the press. IMHO that is.