Living In Thailand On A 49,000Baht/mo Budget. Questions.

Rambling Man

Hi there, I hope some of you can help me out. I apologize for the bland topic of discussion, I'm sure it comes up somewhat frequently. But I had a few specific questions that I've yet to find answered.

First off, I'm still currently living in the US. I currently work at a job that I do online remotely, which yields me $1,600USD/mo (49,000baht). I plan on trying to save as much as I can here, and wish to (hopefully) be able to arrive in Thailand next summer. I can afford a house or an apartment of $400USD/mo (12,00baht), and honestly I could see myself being content with living in the city OR in the country side. With my rent budget, what could I realistically expect to get in each places?

I'm curious as to what the differences are between living in the city (Like Bangkok or Phuket) or living, well, outside of the city in the country somewhere. By differences I mean what could I expect that may not of been mentioned in anything I may have stumbled upon. Most things talk about the obvious. Less English speaking people in the country side, but cheaper food, yadda yadda. I read an article where someone mentioned wearing shoes at night when getting up to walk around the house because of scorpions. I would imagine in the city, you would not be worrying about scorpions. Things like that is what I am looking for.

When people ask cost of living questions, everyone seems to factor in the cost of a lot of partying and I hear that alcohol is more expensive there. For someone who spends, say, around $10-$15/WK on alcohol/liquor so I can drink in the comfort and solitude that is my apartment, what could I expect the equivalent to be there? (I'm not a recluse, I just don't like the bar scene too much)

Let's say I lived in the city and went out to eat for 3 meals a day 7 days a week, maybe you do this. What do you spend a week, what is average for someone who is single and paying for themselves who can't cook?

Just trying to see if I can live out my dream of living in a little place close to the country side, close to the city and close to the beach. By close, ~20 minute travel via taxi...

Thanks for the help!

EDIT: Also, I will be 25 when I get there. Is there any way I can connect with people my age who want to go do stuff? Like I said, Im not a big partyer. An awesome day in Thailand to me would be visiting some old temple ruins, hiking somewhere or exploring the scenery. Being in an ocean snorkling would be amazing. Most these things I'd rather do with someone else, but work from home and will likely not 'get out there' and meet people. At least eight hours of day in front of a computer 5 or 6 days a week will be my life, so on my one day off I want to go enjoy it.

Edited by Rambling Man

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

50k baht is enough to live comfortable but not to live it up especially in places like Bangkok.

It sounds like you have never been?....surely you must have?

You need to find where abouts you wanna stay, then go from there.

I love the country and I mean 600km from Bangkok, but language is the issue if you cant speak Thai/Laos. It is soooo much cheaper though its ridiculous.

Alot of us find these quiet towns/places because of our partners.

Perhaps you need to spend a bit of time finding the town that your after, then find accomodation that suits you, and see how far your cash goes living how you like to because whats enough to some isnt for others, 50k baht in my wifes village is like living on 100grand $AUS but thats living in our house and buying at the market, riding my own motorbike etc.

i get by on 50k per month living 12km outside Pattaya, i pay 8500 for 3 bed bunglow with electric and internet probaly fixed costs of 12k. After that its upto how i want to live but i do go out into town twice a week for a good nite out as in spending 1-1500. Food is cheap, next cost is transport but i own a car and bike so just juice. its very cheap to live in Pattaya its self, many guys do it on far less.

Really only one way to find out but it is 100% doable and a comfortable life.

visa costs and visa runs can add to the budget depending which want you go for, but at your age you need to check out which one you can get.

Edited by marstons

I think Cholburee is one of the good option for you , if you don't like bar much may be stay around Bangsan beach , Burapa University .you can find good condominium or apartment with budget around 1x,xxx and food there each meal not more than 100 per person . Only 45 minute drive to Bangkok .

• Like 1

PS: don't talk to anyone about your job or you could be in trouble

Why is that? Because I'd likely be on a Tourist Visa?

I know I won't be able to get a work permit, but would studying Thai at some sort of formal / 'recognized' language institution allow me to get some sort of education visa? Can I work on that?

Maybe that will limit me to a city then. If I lived somewhere small, people may notice that I'm in my house at least 16 hours a day and wonder whats up. In the city, people won't even notice.

Is there any way for me, an American, could live there 'legally' while working? I don't have a college education and the US company I work for has nothing in Thailand.

50k baht is enough to live comfortable but not to live it up especially in places like Bangkok.

It sounds like you have never been?....surely you must have?

You need to find where abouts you wanna stay, then go from there.

I love the country and I mean 600km from Bangkok, but language is the issue if you cant speak Thai/Laos. It is soooo much cheaper though its ridiculous.

Alot of us find these quiet towns/places because of our partners.

Perhaps you need to spend a bit of time finding the town that your after, then find accomodation that suits you, and see how far your cash goes living how you like to because whats enough to some isnt for others, 50k baht in my wifes village is like living on 100grand $AUS but thats living in our house and buying at the market, riding my own motorbike etc.

Part of what I am trying to do now is save up enough so that I can plan a visit in the Spring, I'd like to be able to get there and instead of do all the touristy stuff pretty much apartment search and seeing how I do like it. I know a bit of Thai, lived with a Thai family for a short while and have always wanted to go there. By a twist of fate I then lived with a Thai family for a while and then -really- wanted to go, and my job allows me to travel so I figured I should take the plunge before I meet a woman to hold me down here, haha.

What if the USD - THB exchange rate goes to 25 or even 20, will you still have enough ?

Look at the exchange rate for GBP - THB or EUR - THB in the last 5 years.

http://www.xe.com/cu...&to=THB&view=5Y

http://www.xe.com/cu...&to=THB&view=5Y

Solid advice, thanks!

i get by on 50k per month living 12km outside Pattaya, i pay 8500 for 3 bed bunglow with electric and internet probaly fixed costs of 12k. After that its upto how i want to live but i do go out into town twice a week for a good nite out as in spending 1-1500. Food is cheap, next cost is transport but i own a car and bike so just juice. its very cheap to live in Pattaya its self, many guys do it on far less.

Really only one way to find out but it is 100% doable and a comfortable life.

visa costs and visa runs can add to the budget depending which want you go for, but at your age you need to check out which one you can get.

Thanks for the advice! On average how much does a Visa run cost? This is done every 60 or 90 days? I can't seem to find out facts on that. I mean, the cost would include travel to the border, the visa, the cost of traveling to the border, the cost of not being hungry and bored once you arrive to the border, etc. How long do you have to stay out of Thailand? 12 hours?

I think Cholburee is one of the good option for you , if you don't like bar much may be stay around Bangsan beach , Burapa University .you can find good condominium or apartment with budget around 1x,xxx and food there each meal not more than 100 per person . Only 45 minute drive to Bangkok .

Thanks! I'll have to look into that. Sounds nice!

if you don't like going to bars you will be bored out of your mind here

If getting drunk/sleeping with hookers is the only thing which stands between you and being bored out of your mind, you've got some serious problems.

50,000 is potentially tons of money but whether or not it works out that way depends on your tastes and adaptability and whilst I wouldn't advertise what you're doing, I also wouldn't worry too much about people knowing about your work.

• Like 1

This is how I used to do my visa stuff. I apply for a double tourist visa (60+60 days) at the Thai embassy in my home country. In Thailand: After 60 days I go to the immigration office and get an extension for 30 days (cant remember the cost, but maybe around 1500b or so), after those 30 days are up I go on a visa run ( I used to pay 1800b for it, everything included such as visa fees and food) which activates my next 60 days, then get the 30 day extension again.

Now comes the trickier and more expensive part. To get a new visa you have to apply from outside the country, depending on where you live the best option would probably be Malaysia or Laos. This could cost anywhere from 4-5k to 15k+ depending on your travel and hotel expenses.

And dont worry, with you'r budget you'll be fine anywhere you choose to live in Thailand!

• Like 1

Come to Isaan

Rent 3000 - 6000 THB for an alright apartment in a small city, or a 2-3 bedroom house in a countryside town

Food 3000 - 4000 THB a month for lunch + dinner (including a pepsi or something with dinner) (Assuming you can eat Thai food)

Power 1000 THB a month

Internet 1000 THB a month

Phone 1000 THB a month

So you're looking at roughly 12,000 - 16,000 a month for general expenses. Maybe give or take a little as those are rough estimates.

If you want to go out and meet a few similar aged people, tell me and if you end up in a province near me, I'll put you in touch with a few of my friends. If you go to the countryside, rather than a small city in Isaan, you'll likely find similar aged English speaking people to be few and far between.

if you don't like going to bars you will be bored out of your mind here

If getting drunk/sleeping with hookers is the only thing which stands between you and being bored out of your mind, you've got some serious problems.

50,000 is potentially tons of money but whether or not it works out that way depends on your tastes and adaptability and whilst I wouldn't advertise what you're doing, I also wouldn't worry too much about people knowing about your work.

ha ha ha!

PS: don't talk to anyone about your job or you could be in trouble

1 -Why is that? Because I'd likely be on a Tourist Visa?

2 - I know I won't be able to get a work permit, but would studying Thai at some sort of formal / 'recognized' language institution allow me to get some sort of education visa? Can I work on that?

3 - Maybe that will limit me to a city then. If I lived somewhere small, people may notice that I'm in my house at least 16 hours a day and wonder whats up. In the city, people won't even notice.

4 - Is there any way for me, an American, could live there 'legally' while working? I don't have a college education and the US company I work for has nothing in Thailand.

I can answer those:

1 Without a workpermit you are in breach of the law. Fines, jailtime, deportation possible.

2 A study visa will not allow for a workpermit.

3 As 1 or 2 will not apply you are not limited to a city. People don't notice you anyway. Thais are very easy going and will not 'spy' on you. Sitting behind your computer 'surfing' is not work.

4 Possible but difficult. Teaching English or finding another kind of job seems the easiest. If you want to start a business you would need a good amount of capital and a good plan. Certainly not advisable if you are still new to Thailand.

About the amount you have to live on. Can easily be done. Watch out for the girls though, they can eat you alive. smile.png

Where to live. Depends on what you like. I like the sea so i lived close to one for years. Anywhere between Prachuap and Chumphon is cheap but without western goods. Hua hin area is ok, but seems a little sleepy and for me personally to much tourists. I can not really give advice because it is very personal choice.

Best is probably to try out a few locations. As long as you have internet you would be fine for work i think.

But be careful to not let your work slip. It is so easy to have that 'oh tomorrow' feeling. Once you go that road it starts slipping fast.

Discipline is what you need so set yourself up with a schedule and stick to it!

Edited by Khun Jean
  • Like 2

Will have a very, very good quality of life in a beautiful city like Chiang Mai on 50k p/m.

Not so much in a tourist craphole city such as Phuket.

Make your integration slow, and your savings and marriage vows away from Thailand for the first five years. :)

Going to school twice a week 2 hours per lesson as in ED visa is the best way

for someone below 50 to get valid 1 year visa. (30.000 baht/year)

Coincidentally it also takes care of your other woe, getting to know people,

and even makes you learn thai.

I think most americans i know have less than 49.000 per month,

while at the same time being older than you and so brads cost them more than it cost you

Edited by poanoi
  • Like 1

Don't forget about insurance, you don't want to end up without money when in a small accident.

Can cost you more than you think. And save some money for the return ticket.

I suggest that before you go to Thailand you have at least 5.000 us$ (more is better) on your account, only to be used in emergencies.

For some reason, this post makes me sad. :(

Is this what traveling the World, free as a bird, at 25 has become?

• Like 1

Don't forget about insurance, you don't want to end up without money when in a small accident.

Can cost you more than you think. And save some money for the return ticket.

I suggest that before you go to Thailand you have at least 5.000 us$ (more is better) on your account, only to be used in emergencies.

For some reason, this post makes me sad. sad.png

Is this what traveling the World, free as a bird, at 25 has become?

"Free as a bird" may mean "I trust my parents will bail me out if I get in deep shit"?? biggrin.png

You have to choose your own level of risk.

• Like 2

I can talk about living in the city (Bangkok). Most Thais earn around 10k THB per month and they are able to renta 4-5k one room apartment and have all the meals outside, so don't worry about living on your budget.

Most Thais definitely NOT earn 10K Baht, they earn significantly more. The only ones who earn that little is the peasent farmers from Isaan. The average wage for a university educated Thai with some years experience is around 30K.

• Like 2

50K baht will be enough to get by, if you live a bit on the outskirts of the city somewhere like On Nut/Bangna.

However, it will not be a luxurious or even comfortable life. Thai life is only cheap as long as you stick to basics. Wine, music and women will cost you more than back home. Likewise with health/sport clubs and dining to an international standard.

Have you factored in all the extras: Health insurance, Visa runs, tuition, clothes, travel etc etc?

If you get a good Thai social circle and/or a Thai girlfriend (who is not a variety of whore), then you can probably enjoy your life much on 50K. However, without a good social circle, your life will be much more expensive and entertainment will cost more.

I'd look at earning more money. As an American you can supplement your income by writing articles on specific subjects or getting into SEO/affiliate marketing. I'm 30 btw and I wouldn't move to Bangkok for less than 100K a month these days. Of course, you're younger, so maybe don't have the same standards.

Anyway, feel free to send me your contact info if you want to chat more about things. I also work remotely online.

• Like 2

I know two teachers with masters degrees who make just less than 20,000B per month but it's in Isaan. They think they are in tall cotton. I know a registered nurse in Udanthani who also makes less than 20k and she works nights. It depends a lot on what field they are in and what area also. Teachers with a bachelors degree may start at more like 10k in some areas. Don't forget too that many Thais work 7 days a week and long shifts for their money.

OP, I have no doubt that you may be making a lot of border runs. Being close to a border with an embassy would save you time and money. Even a student visa will last only so long. Also, some of those places are cheaper to live than Bangkok or another "fancier" bigger city. I'm thinking like Udon Thani or any of a number of Isaan places.

Bangkok is a good place for your budget. I live from about the same and my costs?

Furnished clean room with ac balconny good shower 5500thb incl. Utilities +wifi.

Phone: approx 500thb. (wifi is everywhere)

I drive a scooter for less than 1thb a km.

Decent clothes can be found for good prices and the food? Nothing to worry about, 30-60 thb for good cheap places but of course japanese or other inter. Food is abit more. Where the rest of my money goes? Saving and enjoying life! Yes i am 25 as well. It is a good age for being here and single :)

Ow yes gym 500 a month. Crappy place but it works.

Sent from my GT-S5660 using Thaivisa Connect App

Edited by Marcel1
  • Like 1

well with 50K per month in BKK can be difficult, I would say you will need at least 70K, speaking about BKK only

and yes it's important to have some money aside for emergency situation, health insurance and ticket back home.