Burma Visa Application, Arrival Times In Bangkok

seesip

This looks cool, thanks. I've been reading conflicting reports about this, I think partly because conditions have changed over the past year. Have you done the visa on arrival before?

No, I have a friend who does mine. Having said that, I had a Burmese Dr. friend here last week and she assures me that visa on arrival is operating. You could call the Burmese Embassy to double check.

This looks cool, thanks. I've been reading conflicting reports about this, I think partly because conditions have changed over the past year. Have you done the visa on arrival before?

No, I have a friend who does mine. Having said that, I had a Burmese Dr. friend here last week and she assures me that visa on arrival is operating. You could call the Burmese Embassy to double check.

Greatly appreciated. I'll be heading to the embassy anyway, but a relief to know I've got a fallback option. I'll confirm this is in operation when I go tomorrow. Many thanks.

Greatly appreciated. I'll be heading to the embassy anyway, but a relief to know I've got a fallback option. I'll confirm this is in operation when I go tomorrow. Many thanks.

If you check out CityLife's classifieds, there is a travel agency based here in CM claiming they can get you a Burmese visa without having to go to Bangkok. I don't know if that is the case and have no inside info. I'd post the link but that might be frowned on.

Never mind travel agencies! Upyoura.. excuse me Uptheos' ... site post above looks uptodate. But, remember, we're talking a very fluid situation in Burma/Myanmar. Take your pick!

The Burmese government has at least once made a major policy change on on-arrival visas (pertinent only to Yangon Airport). They started off including both business as well as tourist visas, then fairly quickly excluded tourist on-arrival visas.

Check with the Burmese Embassy. Yes, depends on the crowd, but 11:00 should be fine, I believe. Usual bit having to do with filling out forms and paying a fee. It is not a bad Skytrain ride to the general neighborhood followed by a 5-minute walk. And at least call ahead if they are bothering to answer the phone these days. They used to do same-day visas for an additional fee (probably still do): application in the morning, pick-up in the afternoon. BUT FIRST CHECK THE BURMESE EMBASSY/CONSULATE !!!! Not so hard. Otherwise, enjoy a day in Bangkok! Mai phen rai!

Edited by Mapguy

Anyone applied for a visa recently? I know they're open from 9-12 but I can only get there at 11am and wonder if that is going to be a problem. Thanks.

11:00am is fine. In fact its probably better seesip, as the queues earlier in the morning are horrendous at the moment.

Useful info for the visa procedures at Bangkok embassy here

Download a copy of the actual tourist visa form (so you can fill it in before going) in this thread here

Don't forget a copy of the bio page of your passport, and 2 current photos.

Let me know if you have any more queries, I seem to be in and out of that embassy far too often lately ;)

SVB

e-visa (online Government visa on arrival service) is NOT operating - see this thread here

VOA's can be arranged through some tour companies - but you generally need a couple of weeks notice to process. PM me if you need the contact details for a good travel company in Yangon who can arrange this for you. They all charge a fee, but saves doing the embassy in BKK if you don't live there.

Thanks for all the helpful replies. I got to Don Mueang at 930 and I was at the embassy by 1015--way earlier than expected. Probably about 30 people in line but was out of there by 11am. Agree with SeaView that the line thinned out a lot by 11. Many applicants seemed a bit confused about paperwork etc but everything seemed to be running smoothly and the staff was friendly and polite. Almost missed the pickup time at 430 due to stoopid traffic but it all worked out. Many thanks.

• Like 1

Never mind travel agencies! Upyoura.. excuse me Uptheos' ... site post above looks uptodate. But, remember, we're talking a very fluid situation in Burma/Myanmar. Take your pick!

The Burmese government has at least once made a major policy change on on-arrival visas (pertinent only to Yangon Airport). They started off including both business as well as tourist visas, then fairly quickly excluded tourist on-arrival visas.

Check with the Burmese Embassy. Yes, depends on the crowd, but 11:00 should be fine, I believe. Usual bit having to do with filling out forms and paying a fee. It is not a bad Skytrain ride to the general neighborhood followed by a 5-minute walk. And at least call ahead if they are bothering to answer the phone these days. They used to do same-day visas for an additional fee (probably still do): application in the morning, pick-up in the afternoon. BUT FIRST CHECK THE BURMESE EMBASSY/CONSULATE !!!! Not so hard. Otherwise, enjoy a day in Bangkok! Mai phen rai!

Why? If a travel agency here can arrange a legit visa for Burma, that's a huge convenience to those wanting to go there.

Edited by TheVicar

Why? If a travel agency here can arrange a legit visa for Burma, that's a huge convenience to those wanting to go there.

Okay, yes, some travel agencies can certainly do the job, but given a fluid situation --- on-arrival visas here --- and generally being wary of travel agencies, I tend to steer clear of them. If you use one, it is very important to get some solid recommendations for it first.

Edited by Mapguy
  • Like 1