Is A Marriage Certificate Necessary To Obtain A Mortgage?

Hello all,

Usual story, from uk getting a house but need to get a mortgage in the mrs's name.

When looking at the documents required for a mortgage it does say you require a marriage certificete. (This is with SCB siam commercial bank)

Now usually this following question would sound silly but this is thailand!.... Does my girlfriend need to be married in order to obtain a mortgage?

Any help or advice from your experiences would be appreciated.

Cheers

A

A little confused here. First you say; the Mrs and then the girlfriend. Which one is correct?

You are able to own a house or certain structures in your own name, but Thai Law prohibits foreigners from owning the land the building is erected on. So if there is land involved, you cannot be a partnership to buying it either on a bank loan or in cash.

Assuming she’s your girlfriend not your wife, than she has no need to be officially married and can obtain a home loan from a Thai bank providing she has the prescribed income to be able to pay off the mortgage and this applies to any Thai national, meaning, of course a single person can buy and own they`re own property. So something does not appear right here. If the house also includes land, than your monies or income cannot be taken into consideration for a home purchase loan.

Also I ask, what kind of visa are you on in Thailand? Because if you are not on any sort of non Immigrant visa, I very much doubt that you would qualify for being eligible for any bank loans.

Another point is; that whatever you financially give your girlfriend, you are in fact giving as a gift, unless you provide the monies as a loan, with an agreement drawn out with a lawyer.

It`s all rather complicated and would be advisable to discuss the situation with the bank manager.

It`s all rather complicated and would be advisable to discuss the situation with the bank manager.

Who will probably have no idea and ends it with 'mai dai'.

If not married and it is for a house your changes are close to zero for a mortgage.

Unless i read the op wrong and the Thai woman has sufficient funds and salary. in that case it would be wise to not accompany her to the bank.

Hello again,

Thanks for the feedback.

Please dont get too carried away with the ins and outs. =)

The house will be completely in her name, we arent married and she does have an income of 25,000baht a month as well as other money wanging in and out of the account in cash all the time.

But basically, as she is thai, I need to make sure i get everything squared away for her and plan it all ready for her to go to the bank.....and hopefully get it right the first time!

The advise about not accompanying her to the bank is good advice i think as questions then get asked. But on that note, this is the reason i am doing all my honework now to instruct her well on the actual occasion to the bank.

Now in the SCB requirements it does say 'marriage certificate' which makes me wonder whether this bank does actually require the security of a married couple to obtain a mortgage!!? As zatoici said above he has just been asked for one! =/

Zatocici, if you have any feedback from me regarding the marriage certificate bit at SCB i would be very grateful to hear from you as to whether it is actually necessary.

Thank you all for your time so far

A

My wife got two mortgages for condos, before we married, no need to show if not married. Try Thanachart Bank for a mortgage the monthly repayments are usually lower than other banks. Also my wife was earning the same as your wife and could only get a mortgage to just over 1 million baht.

My wife got two mortgages for condos, before we married, no need to show if not married. Try Thanachart Bank for a mortgage the monthly repayments are usually lower than other banks. Also my wife was earning the same as your wife and could only get a mortgage to just over 1 million baht.

Thanachart bank never asked for for our marriage certificate as we had our kids' birth certificates.

If no kids, then they would ask for something to show we were married as my wife doesn't work.

If your wife works, then no problem.

If she has a job she can get a mortgage.

If you are married, she can use your income to get a 50% mortgage.

Best to let her get a job and a 90% mortgage off the back of her earnings IMHO.

PS They call it a home loan here.

If she is earning 25k a month, I would let her do it all on her own.

Banks start reducing the % they loan when they see a white guy in tow.

(Thai/foreigner relationships are considered unstable)

Edited by TommoPhysicist

SCB not required, this was certainly the case about 8 years ago when I co-signed on a mortage for Mrs Soutpeel who wasnt Mrs Soutpeel at the time and only my income was considered, but was required to produce a WP, a letter from the Thai company I was working for plus 12 months pay slips, very quick process for me...went the bank once, a couple of signatures and 6 weeks later approved and paid out

with all due respect..

Absolute rubbish...Mrs Soutpeel got 100% loan and only my income was considered for the loan and suppose the other pertinent facts were.. 1 we were not married at the time...2. "Mrs" Soutpeel was not working at the time

Edited by Soutpeel

SCB not required, this was certainly the case about 8 years ago when I co-signed on a mortage for Mrs Soutpeel who wasnt Mrs Soutpeel at the time and only my income was considered, but was required to produce a WP, a letter from the Thai company I was working for plus 12 months pay slips, very quick process for me...went the bank once, a couple of signatures and 6 weeks later approved and paid out

I'm sure Soutpeel is right. They asked my wife because she said she was married on the application. Let me see if it gets approved or not and when we get it I'll get you the details in a PM if you wanna know exactly who we spoke with, at what branch and you can try there for yourself if you think it would help.

Though really if she's not married it's a cut and dry deal based off her income.

But uh yeah..renting..not a bad idea, I mean your kinda renting already ;) But hey, I'm sure you know what you're doing. Good luck with that.

with all due respect..

Absolute rubbish...Mrs Soutpeel got 100% loan and only my income was considered for the loan and suppose the other pertinent facts were.. 1 we were not married at the time...2. "Mrs" Soutpeel was not working at the time

Ahum... That was 8 years ago!

In the meantime a lot has happened in the banking world.

• Like 1