Thailand Sits Near The Bottom In Civil Justice Ranking: Washington-Based Think-Tank

webfact

And Singapore; as clean and swish as it is, drop some litter or eat food on the MRT, then look out. No thanks.

If you drop litter in Singapore you receive a fine.

Better than paying the cops a bribe when they try and extort and the benefits are obvious. After all, it works.

Singaporeans live closely together and most understand the need for these laws, especially with a large, uneducated, immigrant workforce from countries (similar to Thailand) where such laws don't exist or are just ignored.

Nowadays there are so many immigrant Chinese from the mainland that Singaporeans are getting sick of it. Visa and immigration laws have been tightened as a result but you can regularly see mainland Chinese spitting, littering and taking food onto the MRT.

The severity of Singaporean laws is necessary and is to be applauded IMO.

Singaporeans don't have much else to do. They have no emotional well being at all according to a recent survey.. Life to them is all about money, what a life!!

Social engineering by PAP in Singapore stinks and is rotten to the core.. I don't understand why ppl thinks Singapore is the best place on earth. After living there for 12 odd years.. you can keep the country.. I would never go back to Singapore for all the tea in China

Live there for 8 years, and that was 6 year too many in my eyes. Recently read that population growth among Singaporeans is an all time low, something like 8 births for every 1000. At that rate they'll be extinct in 50 years. The most miserable people in Asia.

• Like 1

And Singapore; as clean and swish as it is, drop some litter or eat food on the MRT, then look out. No thanks.

If you drop litter in Singapore you receive a fine.

Better than paying the cops a bribe when they try and extort and the benefits are obvious. After all, it works.

Singaporeans live closely together and most understand the need for these laws, especially with a large, uneducated, immigrant workforce from countries (similar to Thailand) where such laws don't exist or are just ignored.

Nowadays there are so many immigrant Chinese from the mainland that Singaporeans are getting sick of it. Visa and immigration laws have been tightened as a result but you can regularly see mainland Chinese spitting, littering and taking food onto the MRT.

The severity of Singaporean laws is necessary and is to be applauded IMO.

Singaporeans don't have much else to do. They have no emotional well being at all according to a recent survey.. Life to them is all about money, what a life!!

Social engineering by PAP in Singapore stinks and is rotten to the core.. I don't understand why ppl thinks Singapore is the best place on earth. After living there for 12 odd years.. you can keep the country.. I would never go back to Singapore for all the tea in China

Absolutely, I was in Singapore many times in 66/67 and it was a great place to be, now it's just a soulless city and fascist state. Wouldn't go there again for all the coffee in Brazil..

"The country's lowest scores are in the dimension of civil justice (ranking 80th), partly because of delays in processing cases and difficulties in enforcing court decisions."

red shirts in jail without bail and no trial for ... jeez, coming on 3 years.

Then Sondi is still running around free, isn't he?

Sounds about right this rankin thing.

"Thailand earns high marks on absence of crime and effectiveness of the criminal justice system (ranking fifth globally and seventh among its income peers)"

Is that even possible???

i was thinking the same thing,...maybe somebody has recieved a little brown envelope to put thailand up so high, i dont believe they could be so high on any list concerning justice and the law

Japan is one of the countries leading the region in justice? Stroll on, even if you did not commit the crime there, you could be liable to having your collar felt. That justice is swift there is all to do with nailing someone and looking good. No thanks. And Singapore; as clean and swish as it is, drop some litter or eat food on the MRT, then look out. No thanks. Australia, no thanks. rolleyes.gif

We all have opinions but I enjoy the cleanliness of Singapore smile.png And there are those well known "Litter Police" stings in Bangkok- drop a piece of trash and you are fined 2,000 baht.

In Pattaya I see the local government upgrading the storm sewers; however, they seem to quickly fill up and become blocked with trash.

Some enforcement/civil obedience is no more than consideration for others.Have you crossed the street at a pedestrian crossing (Zebra stripes) lately and have all the drivers yield to you? Yeah, I know the retort "I've lived here for 10+ years and never had a problem in Thailand..."

smile.pngsmile.pngsmile.png

[/quote

Yes but what is the most worrying thing? IMHO it is the abysmal civil justice score - couldn't really be much worse could it. Having attended a few cases involving foreigners in the past 12 months I can honestly say the courts are horrendously biased, corruption is endemic on the face of it if you cannot trust police to write a report correctly, take care of the case papers, not tip off the other side then who do you turn to? The lawyers are at the same game sacrificing your case for a small corruption payment and if you are foreign you are most unlikely to pick it up.. The police won't even make an arrest without a bribe even if you present the criminal with a valid court arrest warrant; I cannot see why any country would entice businesses to invest here when there is little to no chance of getting justice. How would you ever enforce a contract - the most basic of business transactions.

You would think the Embassies might be making some attempt at enlightening their businesses to avoid this place like the plaque. Plague being a good word - a plague of corruption and a civil justice system that has been abrogated to corrupt groups.

nice post,........... i quoted it so i could read it again
  • Like 1

"Thailand earns high marks on absence of crime and effectiveness of the criminal justice system (ranking fifth globally and seventh among its income peers)"

Is that even possible???

i was thinking the same thing,...maybe somebody has recieved a little brown envelope to put thailand up so high, i dont believe they could be so high on any list concerning justice and the law

Wouldn't income peer group be smaller than global group? How could you be 7th out of subset of global when your 5th if every country is counted?

BANGKOK: -- Thailand sits near the bottom in some categories of a ranking of countries by rule of law compiled by a Washington-based think-tank, particularly in civil justice, in which it holds the 80th position out of 97.

Washington-based think-tank, sounds like an oxymoron to me. Looking on what has been going on inside the DC belt way, the only thing the politicians, lobbiest and lawyers think about is there pockets

Sounds a little like all politicians, in all countries. clap2.gif cheesy.gif ph34r.png

Thailand ranks 103rd in the UN Human Development Index among the 185 member countries the UN were able to rank, as 8 states were unable to provide data.The Human Development Index (HDI) is a comparative measure of life expectancy, literacy, education, standards of living, and quality of life for countries worldwide. It is a standard means of measuring well-being, especially child welfare. It is used to distinguish whether the country is a developed, a developing or an underdeveloped country, and also to measure the impact of economic policies on quality of life. The ranking is for 2011, the most recent data available, which makes Thailand a developing country..

Thailand in 2010 ranked 92nd which means the country and its leaders and people are taking two steps forward and three steps backward.

The rankings of Thailand in the matter of law and justice are consistent with the UN rankings in respect to the UN Human Development Index.

Japan is one of the countries leading the region in justice? Stroll on, even if you did not commit the crime there, you could be liable to having your collar felt. That justice is swift there is all to do with nailing someone and looking good. No thanks. And Singapore; as clean and swish as it is, drop some litter or eat food on the MRT, then look out. No thanks. Australia, no thanks. rolleyes.gif

We all have opinions but I enjoy the cleanliness of Singapore smile.png And there are those well known "Litter Police" stings in Bangkok- drop a piece of trash and you are fined 2,000 baht.

In Pattaya I see the local government upgrading the storm sewers; however, they seem to quickly fill up and become blocked with trash.

Some enforcement/civil obedience is no more than consideration for others.Have you crossed the street at a pedestrian crossing (Zebra stripes) lately and have all the drivers yield to you? Yeah, I know the retort "I've lived here for 10+ years and never had a problem in Thailand..."

you need to get out more..10 years locked up in your house is a long time

And you need to learn reading comprehension :)

[/quote

Yes but what is the most worrying thing? IMHO it is the abysmal civil justice score - couldn't really be much worse could it. Having attended a few cases involving foreigners in the past 12 months I can honestly say the courts are horrendously biased, corruption is endemic on the face of it if you cannot trust police to write a report correctly, take care of the case papers, not tip off the other side then who do you turn to? The lawyers are at the same game sacrificing your case for a small corruption payment and if you are foreign you are most unlikely to pick it up.. The police won't even make an arrest without a bribe even if you present the criminal with a valid court arrest warrant; I cannot see why any country would entice businesses to invest here when there is little to no chance of getting justice. How would you ever enforce a contract - the most basic of business transactions.

You would think the Embassies might be making some attempt at enlightening their businesses to avoid this place like the plaque. Plague being a good word - a plague of corruption and a civil justice system that has been abrogated to corrupt groups.

Most embassy staff have two goals:

Today- collect a paycheck

Tomorrow- collect a fat pension

Speaking of misjustice, there is a video of an Australian couple that were on a motorbike and hit from behind by a local motorbike driver. The lady died three hours later and the police tried to get the Australian man to admit that he was at fault... really sad!

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/2012/11/27/17/27/thai-police-tried-to-blame-boyfriend-for-womans-death

PS- The Australian guy received his pass port back after six days, so hats off to the Oz government if they were the responsible for his release. The local that caused the accident was never brought to justice. Shameful!

Edited by Lancelot

[/quote

Most embassy staff have two goals:

Today- collect a paycheck

Tomorrow- collect a fat pension

Speaking of misjustice, there is a video of an Australian couple that were on a motorbike and hit from behind by a local motorbike driver. The lady died three hours later and the police tried to get the Australian man to admit that he was at fault... really sad!

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/2012/11/27/17/27/thai-police-tried-to-blame-boyfriend-for-womans-death

PS- The Australian guy received his pass port back after six days, so hats off to the Oz government if they were the responsible for his release. The local that caused the accident was never brought to justice. Shameful!

Wow, I see stories like that and I say let the primate acting fools run their country into the ground. Perhaps they do deserve a civil war. Karma can be a butch and Thai fools are building plenty of that up.

I mainly go to Thailand because my wife is Russian and it is much better climate than Siberia for spending a month with the inlaws.

Russia is messed up because of the mafia, but stories like this lead me to believe that Thailand is worse than Russia because thus is the people designed to protect you. They are more despicable than the Russia mafia who at least has no pretenses as to what they do and are about.