We Never Registered Our U.s. Marriage In Bangkok

Unwisemonkey

Slow and steady, my lawyer friend has been working pro-bono for me which is nice however I can't expect a lot of instant gratification when I'm getting services for free thumbsup.gif (on a side not my friend specializes in helping foreigners particularly with property and business, and visa issues if anyone is in need) So apparently my marriage that took place in the U.S. was never registered here in Thailand. Thailand however recognizes the validity of marriages that took place in the U.S. I suppose this is why I've been able to get a Non-O Visa without a Thai marriage certificate. My question is, will I be able to divorce in the courts here since it is not registered at our Local Amphur?

Probably not, as there are no records of you being married. But a lawyer can answer for sure.

What you need to do is go to your embassy and have the marriage certificate legalised (in your case you make a sworn affadavid). This you have translated into Thai and legalised at the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Consular Department at Chaeng Wattana road. They stamp it and next you cna have the marriage registered at any amphur in Thailand.

Now you can go to the amphur to be divorced, or the court if you can't agree on a divorce and the terms. When you divorce through the courts you can only get a divorce based on the grounds mentioned in the law.

For a divorce at the amphur you just have to both agree to the diorce and at that time can enter an agreement about the division of assets, the children etc.