Red-Shirt Co-Leader Arisman Gets Jail Sentence For Defaming Abhisit

webfact

Let the overgrown pork belly do his time.

He's Thai, he knows the law, take his punishment like a man

All the sympathisers here saying the law is wrong. The law is clear. We may not agree with it but it's not our law and others made a game of it that is now the norm

• Like 1

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Of course Arisman got sentenced, after all it is not done to tell the truth. Look at the Youtube movies and the fact that all those corrupt judges are still not moving and we know that Mark Abhisit will need to feel the rule of the ICC. Mark Abhisit is by the way subjected to the ICC as he is still a Briton.

You miss the whole point of the sentence against Arisman. Abhisit proved in Court that Arisman Defamed him by lies against him.

While Arisman had to accept that he lied against Abhisit,that's what the Court proved,end of story. No conspiracy theories necessary.

While I don't agree with Tragickingdom's usual wacky post, you're missing the point too. Defamation here has nothing to do with truth or lies. It is based on making a statement which affects the 'victim's' character (sort of like losing face). What's totally wrong is Thai law makes defamation a criminal offence which it shouldn't be.

Arisman has committed far worse crimes than defaming Abhisit. Far too many defamation cases just clog up the courts which have a huge backlog.

I agree Defamation should not be a Criminal Offence,the alternative is to make it a Civil Offence,in which case damages would be sought,by the Winning Party,no doubt the loser would arrange to have no money. At least by making it a criminal offence,there is some punishment attached to making false claims.

Of course Arisman got sentenced, after all it is not done to tell the truth. Look at the Youtube movies and the fact that all those corrupt judges are still not moving and we know that Mark Abhisit will need to feel the rule of the ICC. Mark Abhisit is by the way subjected to the ICC as he is still a Briton.

You miss the whole point of the sentence against Arisman. Abhisit proved in Court that Arisman Defamed him by lies against him.

While Arisman had to accept that he lied against Abhisit,that's what the Court proved,end of story. No conspiracy theories necessary.

While I don't agree with Tragickingdom's usual wacky post, you're missing the point too. Defamation here has nothing to do with truth or lies. It is based on making a statement which affects the 'victim's' character (sort of like losing face). What's totally wrong is Thai law makes defamation a criminal offence which it shouldn't be.

Arisman has committed far worse crimes than defaming Abhisit. Far too many defamation cases just clog up the courts which have a huge backlog.

I agree Defamation should not be a Criminal Offence,the alternative is to make it a Civil Offence,in which case damages would be sought,by the Winning Party,no doubt the loser would arrange to have no money. At least by making it a criminal offence,there is some punishment attached to making false claims.

I do partially agree with what you say. Unfortunately the result of a defamation trial can result in punishment for making true claims in Thailand. Not saying that Arisman's claims were true (except for his claim that Abhisit is totally against a Thaksin whitewash - which is really irrelevant). As Moruya says, as the law stands, Arisman deserves his punishment.

Making the law a civil one would very likely reduce the number of frivolous claims as it just wouldn't be worthwhile to pursue someone without any money or status.

Still a major face erasing slap. Hope he DOES do the time.

And it set a precedent, even if precedent law isn't used here,

that what he said is over the top.

Censorship through defamation to insulate politicians is a bad policy.

• Like 1

Granted Bail of 200,000baht apparently, think he might do a runner to Cambodia again.

Surely they must realise he has the potential to flee.

£4000 ish. Wow! I'd be scared to lose that sort of cash. Now a million baht or 10 and it might actually make someone think twice.

Obviously in this case, I'm sure there is a deep pocket which will keep the legal system happy, even if he does flee. The 'yellow' streak in yet another red?

Not necessarily. Issuing public apologies can suffice for most of these stupid cases of name calling.

• Like 1

Red-shirt co-leader Arisman Pongruanrong was sentenced to one year in prison yesterday

Arisman was granted bail later in the afternoon cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifgiggle.gif

You have 28 day to lodge an appeal and it can be done on the day (given circumstances) and if he was already on bail then that bail can be extended. Same in most countries.

The key word is can. Not must.

• Like 1

I don't know why they don't change it to

"sentenced to an appeal".

In this case he has no appealing qualities.

El porko, hasn't sung on key in a decade,

and just a screaming ranter, who ran away when the going got tough..

So they give bail to a guy who has aready shown he don't mind doing a runner.. amazing Thailand

Granted Bail of 200,000baht apparently, think he might do a runner to Cambodia again.

Back in the real world he would file his appeal from a prison cell. Even if he was eligible for bail, his history would disqualify him as a major flight risk. But, hey, we're not in the real world here...

Back in the real world he would file his appeal from a prison cell. Even if he was eligible for bail, his history would disqualify him as a major flight risk. But, hey, we're not in the real world here...

Unfortunately the law-abiding farang are in the real world

@ Thai at heart

If an apology was all that was necessary? then pretty stupid of Arisman to risk a Jail Sentence,which was the outcome.

No i mean that it shouldn't be a criminal offence, and that in most cases, a public apology suffices. If you cause probable financial damage, you get compensation etc, etc

In this case, he actually didn't risk jail at all, in that he knows he's never going to see it for this offence didn't he. So hardly a deterrent was it.

Still a major face erasing slap. Hope he DOES do the time.

And it set a precedent, even if precedent law isn't used here,

that what he said is over the top.

Censorship through defamation to insulate politicians is a bad policy.

Arisman is not a politician, he is a mercenary agitator. More to the point, MPs, while speaking in parliament, are immune to defamation prosecution - with the added proviso that those making false statements are expected to resign (at least in real democracies).

Prosecuting mercenary agitators that make totally false and defamatory statements about their paymaster's political opponents is very good policy.

• Like 1

In how many cases this guy has actually been bailed so far? I guess the total of outstanding bail must be more than an average Thai earns in a lifetime.

Luckily for him, his employer has vast resources and is prepared to cough up to keep him on the streets. Unluckily for him, he has a case coming up where bail might not be an option.

• Like 1

one year for telling the truth. TIT

Yes you are obviously allowed to post things you know to be false here on Thai Visa.

If you weren't some people would have nothing to say.

saying Abhisit had robbed political power and ordered the killings of red-shirt protesters in 2009.

the first part is true the second probably not provable.

Dear Hugo6 !

To read senseless statements like these 2 from you above, is wasting the time of people who want to get some information ...

But maybe you live in a red-village and there is really nothing else to do?

you think you get information on THIS forum?

• Like 1

saying Abhisit had robbed political power and ordered the killings of red-shirt protesters in 2009.

Dear Hugo6 !

To read senseless statements like these 2 from you above, is wasting the time of people who want to get some information ...

So show us were this facts are proved to be true.

How many protesters do you think were killed by security forces in 2009 after Abhisit issued his order?

^ Quite, though this isn't a forum; it's an extension of The Nation comment queue.

And I bet, despite your protestations, you read the Nation for breakfast and come on here for dessert.

Would that be to learn things or is it some form of masochism?

• Like 1

Dear Hugo6 !

How many protesters do you think were killed by security forces in 2009 after Abhisit issued his order?

Don't hold your breath for the requested facts being proven true AleG. Could be a long wait.

And I bet, despite your protestations, you read the Nation for breakfast

Nope. The only time I ever read it (or the Bangkok Post) is when it gets quoted somewhere else. In the morning, I have a quick look at Matichon, Thai Rath and Prachatai and then see what's on the blogs and Facebook.

Would that be to learn things or is it some form of masochism?

True, reading the uniformed, bigoted tripe on here is a kind of masochism. Other than an unhealthy curiosity about just how morally repulsive my fellow immigrants are, I don’t really have good excuse.

I came to Thailand to enjoy my life, not to spend time doing things I don't like.

You could always try Cambodia to get a feel for life under the red shirts vision and the bonus would be your continued ability to do the things you dislike.

Everyone's a winner!

Dear Hugo6 !

why do you want proof for the part i say is probably not provable? besides, for killing protesters 2010 was a much bigger deal that 2009

and robbing power as arisman said, if you don't just read here, then youve read about that. robbed power, grabbed power, slithered, dealed, so on and so on just depends on the vocabulary you want to use

why do you want proof for the part i say is probably not provable? besides, for killing protesters 2010 was a much bigger deal that 2009

and robbing power as arisman said, if you don't just read here, then youve read about that. robbed power, grabbed power, slithered, dealed, so on and so on just depends on the vocabulary you want to use

I'm intrigued with this "robbing power" malarky.

How was it stolen? Did a policeman come to arrest Aphisit? Was there a bag with "Thai Power" embroidered on it?

• Like 1

So when you said that Arisman got in trouble for telling the truth you actually meant what?

• Like 1

So when you said that Arisman got in trouble for telling the truth you actually meant what?

I think he was referring to the RED version of the truth, which differs somewhat from the historical record.