Purse Snatching Again - Community Warning

realthaideal

It seems this convenient crime is happening again with some frequency.

Just last night a friend of mine saw/heard one happen off Soi 9 Moonmuang. It was a drive-by, Thai (assumed) on Farang victims.

Also, about 2+ weeks ago, 2 Farang lady friends of mine were on their way home about midnight when they were attacked in a drive-by. Just as they rounded the NE corner inside the moat (end of Moonmuang) and took the 1st right to head outside and go east, a motosai with 2 Thais started approaching them very closely on the curve. As they went to straighten, my friend who was driving became perplexed/ worried she was doing something wrong as the other moto was coming so close. The perpetrators steered right up to my friends, and the Thai girl (ladyboy ?) in the back made a grab for the back girl's (passenger's) purse. She held tight and it ended with my friends crashed to the ground outside the moat. Thank goodness for helmets and slow speeds, but there was some scraping and bruising as well as injured knees and arms from the incident. They're also thankful for the kindly THai folks who helped them pick up the scraped bike and get themselves collected afterwards.

Everybody should be on the lookout for these folks ! Keep your wits about you ! Don't look vulnerable, confused, or like an easy mark, as the holiday season combined with hard times seems to have these predators about !

• Like 1

Thank you for the warning, Realthaideal. They better not mess with this red head. I have a mean right hook and a nasty disposition when I get mad. Thankfully I never get drunk and I'm always aware of what is around me. And, I seldom carry a purse. I found out a long time ago they are too easy to leave somewhere.

Having a better strap or tighter hold just means the likely hood of hitting the ground just increased manyfold.

This happen to a Thai woman friend in CM almost 3 years ago.. She held tight and hit the pavement. Was wearing a helmet but hit the ground so hard she got a busted eardrum and concussion.

She has gotten MRI's but still plagued sometimes with nausea, vertigo and headaches.

Probably better to have a decoy purse with a breakaway strap or something.

• Like 1

Of course there are some purse snatchers in Chiang Mai and other Thai towns. Always have been --- just as, especially, in any tourist town where people walk around in a daze and/or at night!! So why a community warning? Be glad you are not being assaulted in Italy or in Peru where purse-snatching is a serious business! IMHO, scare-mongering with anecdotal stories is not particularly useful. What is revealing, perhaps, is that it is still news here! And I do not work for TAT!

Edited by Mapguy
  • Like 1

I wonder if the people who already were robbed were wearing their purses cross-shoulder? I find it difficult to imagine any snatch-and-grab artist even attempting to make a grab&run on a bag that is worn with the straps across the body. Even 'most' crooks aren't THAT stupid...

Unfortunately, a lot of people just loop their shoulder strap over the same side shoulder that they carry on. That's simply asking for trouble. Don't be a target.

• Like 1

Of course there are some purse snatchers in Chiang Mai and other Thai towns. Always have been --- just as, especially, in any tourist town where people walk around in a daze and/or at night!! So why a community warning? Be glad you are not being assaulted in Italy or in Peru where purse-snatching is a serious business! IMHO, scare-mongering with anecdotal stories is not particularly useful. What is revealing, perhaps, is that it is still news here! And I do not work for TAT!

Maybe not useful to Mapguy but why restrict the free flow of information?

It might be useful to some.

Why try to guilt or criticize people into self censorship?

It think the OP alerting us, is a helpful warning and there is no need for panic and worry. One just needs to be extra cautious while riding a MC where a purse snatching could be a serious hazard to your health.

I think the level of crime in CM is quite low compared to the West, Thailand is still a pretty safe place, albeit teachers in the the South. However crime is a fact of life anywhere, I think the heads up is useful, as always be alert but no need for paranoia at this stage. Personally I never walk around with a handbag, aka manbag.

My goodness! There seems to be a lot of nervous people out there!

Of course, it is no joke to get bonked on the head or have your bag stolen. Sh*t does happen. But not a lot round here. And you can find this sort of warning circulating in a lot of towns in a lot of countries. Some of it is real, some of it is second and third-hand rumor. Neither makes much of a case.

Anecdotal evidence like this often spreads like a virus and poisons the air. Just to take Priceless'es line, such tales do not make much of a case. I am not constraining anyone to say what they wish about their personal experience on the streets of Chiang Mai, as someone above suggests, but the problem I have seen over the years with this sort of "warning" is a constraint on common sense rather than the opposite which is intended.

To stretch the point (considerably), would you now recommend that people arm themselves with personal weapons for self-protection? I dimly recall a thread several months ago when some (IMHO) gun nuts locally were suggested just that!

Edited by Mapguy

( The "YOU" in this post is NOT directed at anyone in particular. It's the general 'you.')

The odds of getting YOUR bag ripped off are pretty slim.

This doesn't mean that it doesn't happen fairly often... everywhere in the world.

The odds that YOU will need serious medical attention are pretty slim too.

This doesn't mean you shouldn't have insurance. Do YOU have insurance?

Of course, it is no joke to get bonked on the head or have your bag stolen. Sh*t does happen. But not a lot round here. And you can find this sort of warning circulating in a lot of towns in a lot of countries. Some of it is real, some of it is second and third-hand rumor. Neither makes much of a case.

Anecdotal evidence like this often spreads like a virus and poisons the air. Just to take Priceless'es line, such tales do not make much of a case. I am not constraining anyone to say what they wish about their personal experience on the streets of Chiang Mai, as someone above suggests, but the problem I have seen over the years with this sort of "warning" is a constraint on common sense rather than the opposite which is intended.

To stretch the point (considerably), would you now recommend that people arm themselves with personal weapons for self-protection? I dimly recall a thread several months ago when some (IMHO) gun nuts locally were suggested just that!

uh how are you determining that people are really nervous? and that anecdotal information is spreading like virus and poisons? Are you measuring this somehow?

Most adults can interpret anecdotal information just fine. We all read the news BTW.

If your saying people shouldn't share anecdotal information then this might be all about your issues. Where is the aggregate information going to come from?

Intelligent people can hold opposing viewpoints simultaneously.

for example

Chiang Mai is a great place to live but the roads can be dangerous so caution is advised.

That fact that someone is sharing information about a traffic accident doesn't cause most people to change their opinion about Chiang Mai.

Unless your presuming people are really stupid and sheep like and you need to control their information for them.

Your bag goes under the seat.

You shouldn't be carrying anything when riding a m/c.

Especially at night. Too much temptation.

Agreed, having a handbag hanging off your shoulder late at night is too much temptation (not just in CM, but many cities) for some people. Stick it under the seat, job done. Same problem with wearing expensive jewelry and expensive watches....fortunately, I can afford neither!

Being a bloke, everything I carry is stuffed in my pockets.

uh how are you determining that people are really nervous? and that anecdotal information is spreading like virus and poisons? Are you measuring this somehow?

Most adults can interpret anecdotal information just fine. We all read the news BTW.

If your saying people shouldn't share anecdotal information then this might be all about your issues. Where is the aggregate information going to come from?

Intelligent people can hold opposing viewpoints simultaneously.

for example

Chiang Mai is a great place to live but the roads can be dangerous so caution is advised.

That fact that someone is sharing information about a traffic accident doesn't cause most people to change their opinion about Chiang Mai.

Unless your presuming people are really stupid and sheep like and you need to control their information for them.

Our thinking is probably closer than you might suppose, but I don't think there was any need for your last sentence if your meaning was critical.

I am not interested in controlling information, but I become concerned about the "viral impact" by modern communication of limited anecdotal accounts. "Going viral" is one of the more useful new popular terms in popular discourse these days. Sometimes it is productive; sometimes not.

"Going viral" on TV Chiang Mai seems, anyway, to be restricted to a limited number of favorite topics. biggrin.png Anyone done "views" or "posts" counts lately? Like TV Chiang Mai Visa's "Top Ten!"