Best Places To Live With Children

Hello all,

I used to live in Khon Kaen and Bangkok for 6 years. But have moved back to the UK for the past 4 years and now my husband and I are going back to Bangkok permanently next year.

Now, my husband is Thai and grew up in Soi Aree and loves being close to central BKK, but we are having a child soon and hope to have more. I want our children to be in a nice environment with a back garden, close to a good school- like Bangkok Pattana school. So I would like advice on what its like to live around the suburbs of Bangkok. My husband tells me the traffic is terrible for our work (I will probably work around Radjamnern Nok Ave and my husband will work around silom/patumwan).

I think we will probably live around Soi Aree for the first few years to save money....but I am really keen on moving somewhere safe and nice for the children- lakeside village and windmill villages in Bang na both look nice, but does anyone know how long it takes to drive to central BKK?

Our budget will be between approx 21-38 million baht, maybe more if we can get a mortgage (but I know my husband hates the idea of mortgages...so I doubt it). We are also open to buying land and building our own house.

Are there any nice places to live around Ekkamai, Pra Kanong, Klong Toei? I am assuming being closer to BTS in the future would mean less commute time.

I was also thinking of Samut Prakan but my husband has ruled it out as being way too far away ....

Thanks for you ideas in advance!

Also off topic, but I'm curious as to what you do for a living. Sounds like either you or your husband make a decent living & I'm wondering what career you have found for a farang to earn decent money in BKK. Sorry if this is too intrusive...

I have a house in the Windmill Estates and it is a great place to live, especially for children. Depending on where downtown you need to go, the commute will vary. You get on the Bang Na-Chon Buri Tollway and you will have quick (20 Min) access to many areas in the CBD. The additional time will depend how far you have to drive off the tollway on the surface streets in rush hour. I have a JV office in CP Tower 1 on Silom, door to door I can be there in a hour. I formed My corporate offices outside the CP JV on Thonglor, this can be a killer coming from Windmill during rush hour. On occasion has been more than 2 hours one way. Hence I have a condo on Thonglor I often utilize during the week when time is critical. This may be an option your husbands would want to pursue.

Your budget will get you a respectable house in Windmill Estates with some very nice amenities, 21 Mil is a bare minimum 30-38Mil is more realistic for nice place. If your husband is a golfer there are perks here as well. I use the resort facilities for clients and have been able to secure rounds of golf for them with visiting PGA players which is a huge bonus for my business. in the Windmill estates you have a park like setting where it is no problem to go for a family bike ride and not have to fear for you life from lunatic drivers as you would in CBD. What you lose in commuting time, you will make up for in lifestyle and proper environment for your children. Also, Windmills proximately tot eh airport was a major factor for me, from my front door to walking in the airport is 15-20 min.

Good luck on the move back!

• Like 1

Nice budget biggrin.pngthumbsup.gif

I've seen small plots of land go for 2-3m on some of the golf courses in Bang Na...larger ones about 8-10m.

Then you can build yourself something like this for 13m...

http://www.officeat.com/?p=582

(Sorry I've posted this link before...but i love this house! smile.png )

My wife and I are thinking of moving "back" that way in 3-4 years time.

And again, all the best with your move "home". thumbsup.gif

RAZZ

P.S. Any decent links to Windmill or Lakeside Villages?

Edited by RAZZELL
  • Like 1

sorry for the off-top but is this possible for farang woman married to thai man to get a thai citizeship? Thanks!

Hi, I don;t know....I have seen it the other way around- foreign men getting Thai citizenship, but this is a long process- and I've only see it happen once...but I don't see why it can't happen the other way around and women can do it too....but think carefully about it first- I would never give up my UK citizenship.

Edited by susieu

Also off topic, but I'm curious as to what you do for a living. Sounds like either you or your husband make a decent living & I'm wondering what career you have found for a farang to earn decent money in BKK. Sorry if this is too intrusive...

Hi I work for an international charity and my husband works in marketing.

I have a house in the Windmill Estates and it is a great place to live, especially for children. Depending on where downtown you need to go, the commute will vary. You get on the Bang Na-Chon Buri Tollway and you will have quick (20 Min) access to many areas in the CBD. The additional time will depend how far you have to drive off the tollway on the surface streets in rush hour. I have a JV office in CP Tower 1 on Silom, door to door I can be there in a hour. I formed My corporate offices outside the CP JV on Thonglor, this can be a killer coming from Windmill during rush hour. On occasion has been more than 2 hours one way. Hence I have a condo on Thonglor I often utilize during the week when time is critical. This may be an option your husbands would want to pursue.

Your budget will get you a respectable house in Windmill Estates with some very nice amenities, 21 Mil is a bare minimum 30-38Mil is more realistic for nice place. If your husband is a golfer there are perks here as well. I use the resort facilities for clients and have been able to secure rounds of golf for them with visiting PGA players which is a huge bonus for my business. in the Windmill estates you have a park like setting where it is no problem to go for a family bike ride and not have to fear for you life from lunatic drivers as you would in CBD. What you lose in commuting time, you will make up for in lifestyle and proper environment for your children. Also, Windmills proximately tot eh airport was a major factor for me, from my front door to walking in the airport is 15-20 min.

Good luck on the move back!

Thank you! this is really helpful. I will let my husband know about commute times. I guess a lot will depend on job locations. My husband's parents bought some land on windmill estate a few years ago....we may have to talk about buying it from them and then seeing if we can build our own house on it as I don't think they have built anything on there yet....but I would love to live somewhere like that for the children- sounds lovely!

I have lived in Samrong Nua near bang na for nine years and really have no issues with access. Driving is not a problem, for example driving from my house to the CBD leaving at 7.30 am takes me on average 40 minutes. I could almost guarantee that sort of time would not be possible in the rush hour in London . Also the sky train is now out this far.

Hi , thanks this is really helpful too.... I live in Milton Keynes right now and getting a train to London takes 40 mins on the train + 15 mins on the tube, which is fine for me! but my husband likes to live 10 mins from work....so I am hoping to find somewhere to get us into the CBD in less than 30 mins...if not, we'll have to maybe invest in a small condo for him to stay in during the week or stay with his parents.

Nice budget biggrin.pngthumbsup.gif

I've seen small plots of land go for 2-3m on some of the golf courses in Bang Na...larger ones about 8-10m.

Then you can build yourself something like this for 13m...

http://www.officeat.com/?p=582

(Sorry I've posted this link before...but i love this house! smile.png )

My wife and I are thinking of moving "back" that way in 3-4 years time.

And again, all the best with your move "home". thumbsup.gif

RAZZ

P.S. Any decent links to Windmill or Lakeside Villages?

Thanks, house looks cool :)

I haven't found any decent links to either windmill or lakeside, but here are 2 I can find:

http://www.bangkok-homes.com/WindmillVillageKm12.html

http://www.bangkok-homes.com/LakesideVilla1.html

http://www.propodyssey.com/property/detail/398/Renovated-house-in-Lakeside-Village-2-with-5-bedrooms-at-Bangna-road

• Like 1

sorry for the off-top but is this possible for farang woman married to thai man to get a thai citizeship? Thanks!

Hi, I don;t know....I have seen it the other way around- foreign men getting Thai citizenship, but this is a long process- and I've only see it happen once...but I don't see why it can't happen the other way around and women can do it too....but think carefully about it first- I would never give up my UK citizenship.

Easier for a Woman and you don't have to give up your UK citizenship.