Lampang

Scoop1

Hi all, can anyone on tv tell me what Lampang is like? i will be going there next year and may probably settle there, any info would be great from those who live there or have spent some time there

cheers

Scoop

I have never lived or stayed in Lampang, but did visit last week. A good sized town, so has some diversions (ceramics, new Central with cinema etc). Not so many falang as other places in north. And I did like the wide uncluttered city roads after Loy Kratong madness in Chiang Mai.

Why would anyone plan to settle anywhere without experiencing the place first hand.?

And to then start getting "pointers" from Chiang Mai expats........well it dafter than my jokes.

What you said is good advice, even with your sarcasm. Too many people visit some area on holiday and then think they would love to live there. My advice for those wanting to move somewhere else is to always visit the chosen area in the worst possible season and the worst weather. That might give you a different perspective. Rent is relatively cheap in Thailand if you spend some time looking. Stay for 6 months or a year and you'll have a better idea what it would be like for a long term.

• Like 1

Why would anyone plan to settle anywhere without experiencing the place first hand.?

And to then start getting "pointers" from Chiang Mai expats........well it dafter than my jokes.

Thank you for your input, i am sure i will be visiting the place first, before i make a decision, i am not as "daft" as your jokes

cheers

scoop

No doubt the OP has a partner telling him he is moving there. Try it out renting and see what happens, if bored to death then hike it over to CM.

Yes Rancid, i do have a friend there and she is not telling me to live there, i only wanted a little bit of advice on what the town is like from a farang point of view.

thank you

scoop

No doubt the OP has a partner telling him he is moving there. Try it out renting and see what happens, if bored to death then hike it over to CM.

Yes Rancid, i do have a friend there and she is not telling me to live there, i only wanted a little bit of advice on what the town is like from a farang point of view.

thank you

scoop

There is nothing to do there. You would die of boredom in 6 months. Even Lamphun is more exciting.

Scoop, I would not be deterred by some of the negative comments. I lived in Chiangmai for about 10 years but commuted to work in Lampang throughout that period and had a second house there. At that time, there were no international schools in Lampang so it was better for my family to be in Chiangmai. As soon as the kids left school, my wife and I were able to close down in Chiangmai and move to Lampang, although we have no family ties there. The main reason was the superior life style, business I had developed there, and the number of friends we had made there over the years. We had heaps of friends in Chiangmai too, but saw less of them as traffic, parking etc have become increasingly difficult. Driving to Chiangmai only takes about 75 minutes anyway so we still go there regularly. I have also lived in other towns for periods of over a year (Bangkok, Khon Kaen, Udon, Korat) and liked them all, with the possible exception of Korat. I have also driven to, or worked in, every province in Thailand except Narathiwat, so feel my qualifications to express an opinion on the comparative virtues of life in Lampang may exceed those of Elektrified.

My best guess is that are less than 200 farangs living in, or near, the city itself. I probably see about 40 of these regularly on a social basis. Our main problem is the social life being a bit too hectic as we go out 4-5 evenings per week. I think people get together so often as travel to anywhere is approximately 15 minutes and going out is cheap. It would probably depend on your personal interests on where you would fit in. The group is pretty diverse with the normal quota of teachers, retirees, working people and diverse nationalities. My after work hobby is drinking beer and bullshitting so I get to meet lots of folks.

• Like 2

I have also driven to, or worked in, every province in Thailand except Narathiwat, so feel my qualifications to express an opinion on the comparative virtues of life in Lampang may exceed those of Elektrified.

Rubbish. I too have been to most Provinces with the exception of Narathiwat and some in Isaan. But that has nothing to do with the city of Lampang. I've been a number of times, for a number of reasons. You don't have to be an old hand to know that the place is boring.whistling.gif

I have also driven to, or worked in, every province in Thailand except Narathiwat, so feel my qualifications to express an opinion on the comparative virtues of life in Lampang may exceed those of Elektrified.

Rubbish. I too have been to most Provinces with the exception of Narathiwat and some in Isaan. But that has nothing to do with the city of Lampang. I've been a number of times, for a number of reasons. You don't have to be an old hand to know that the place is boring.whistling.gif

I'm starting to wonder if there is anything you don't know...

Lampang is home to one of the country's largest coal fired power generators which in itself is responsible, alledgedly, for more of the pollution in the North than any other single source. Apart from that tidbit of knowledge, it's a sleepy place at best, I spent a week there one day.

What does a town need to be non-boring?

I realize this could get very subjective based on what people like to do, but I am interested in what make a town boring or non-boring for people.