Changing Employers With Non-B Extension & Wp

A buddy of mine is here on a non-B extension and WP obtained through an employer he left a few weeks ago. The WP and extension expire in a couple of weeks time. He's just been offered a position with a Singapore company as their business correspondent in Thailand.

Does anyone know whether he can have the extension of stay continued, submit an application for a foreign media card and have his work permit continued without having to leave the country?

I suspect he will need to fly to Singapore and obtain a new non-immigrant B, but ...

His extension is already gone since he is no longer working. He had 24 hours to leave the country or could of gotten a 7 day extension at immigration. Since he did nothing he is now on overstay.

Info on getting visas and work permits for foreign media: http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/media-center/25543-Information-for-Foreign-Press.html

His employer agreed not to hand in the WP after he left as he paid for it and it only has a few weeks left on it. It's not an issue, but I should have mentioned it. Thanks for the link. I'll forward it to him

Edited by Yme

I was just stating the rules since I lacked all the information needed.

I don't think he will have time to get all the documents needed to change companies for his extension. He might even have to leave and get an exempt entry or tourist visa before then.

Edited by ubonjoe

Understand. He was just asking whether it could be transferred but as it's an extension I wasn't sure whether an extension to a B could be transferred from one employer to another

In theory they can be transfered in some cases, but in practice, you normally end having to leave the country and get a new visa..