Banks

falang9

If you don't have a "Last Will and Testament" then the same thing will happen that happens in every other country if you are single and have no heirs -- the government will get the money. If you have relatives they could open a Probate case with the court and try and "prove what your testamentary intent was". Intestate cases are difficult to prove because state of mind comes in to play. Usually only the lawyers end up with the money. In some cases, a "next of kin" (if there is one) may have a chance.

I would not worry about Thanachart Bank. But if you have a great deal of money and no heirs, you could make a simple Will leaving the money to charities.

Siam Commercial Bank has not dissappeared.

Tanachart used to be a finance company and oddly enough was one of the leading culprits of the 97 crash, until it got rebadged and became a bank! Safe enough today because all deposits are currently insured by the BOT.

thanks to all, i feel a bit better....but when i went to get a letter confirming acount the 2nd time in october - (the first was in march and ok) - they could not do it or find the prev confimation letter and i sat there over an hour and the third letter they got it right.....???

thanks to all, i feel a bit better....but when i went to get a letter confirming acount the 2nd time in october - (the first was in march and ok) - they could not do it or find the prev confimation letter and i sat there over an hour and the third letter they got it right.....???

Best to take a copy of the previous letter with you (for them to type out again).

Not much forward planning in Thailand.

A writen and notarized will needn't be expensive or too involved, but it does bring some peace of mind if you own anything of any value, including money. I don't own much here in Thailand, but I have a small, notorized will that says if anything happens to me then everything here goes to a trusted Thai friend. I also have a will back home in Canada that gives everything I own to my sister in England.

Tanachart Bank was formally Siam City Bank not to be confused with Siam Commercial Bank

Just saying....

You're confusing two things, it was initially a finance company that suffered horrific losses but then much later it merged with Siam City Bank, 2010 as I recall.

http://www.bankthail...nachartBank.htm

http://www.thailand4.com/.fin/2011-10-10/3a4bd75eb8445a3ab0ee47345e069202/

Edited by chiang mai

Siam Commercial Bank has not dissappeared.

Tanachart used to be a finance company and oddly enough was one of the leading culprits of the 97 crash, until it got rebadged and became a bank! Safe enough today because all deposits are currently insured by the BOT.

Sort of like the Goldman Sachs of Thailand then?