Upcoming Elections And The Power Cut.

All I know is why I asked my wife the other day about when the elections are she said th 24th. When I replied "what!, so the bars will be closed over Christmas !?" she said "oh yea.... I guess so"

Would be interesting to hear from some bar owner on what they plan to do if this is the case?

• Like 1

Youare seriously joking? (Erm. . . .)

ALCOHOL BAN ON CHRISTMAS EVE AND CHRISTMAS DAY?

It's the blo*dy Thai elections so - seeing they don't observe Christmas, then ban alcohol for those (natives) who are too childlike and irresponsible to have a day off work without getting falling-down drunk and sleeping instead of voting.

And let the Christian whities, who have shelled out thousands and thousands of Pounds/Euros/Dollars, be as merry as they dam_n well want. Or should they all go back to their own countries if they want to do that sort of thing. . . . ?

I wonder how many people who have come here for the festive season would have gone elsewhere if they had known in advance?

On the other hand restaurants are allowed to serve alcohol with their meals. . .

R

• Like 1

ps - what a stunning declaration of community awareness from the local Thai government!

Like - we're really involved with ecology, conservation and sustainable tourism and a Green Samui, and know all the right words to put in the tourist brochures - but we hadn't got a clue it was going to be Christmas on these dates.

This speaks volumes about where the real interests and priorities lie. . .

R

• Like 2

Seems some of you have misunderstood the mayor's job description. It is as follows:

1. Shell out appx. 100 million baht, or a couple of thousand baht to each of the 50.000 voters on Samui prior to the election.

2. Redirect all the tax money to his personal account for the next 4 years, partly to pay for #1.

Did you see beer, xmas, tourists, electricity or anything else in any of the above?

Edited by monkeycountry
  • Like 2

Seems some of you have misunderstood the mayor's job description. It is as follows:

1. Shell out appx. 100 million baht, or a couple of thousand baht to each of the 50.000 voters on Samui prior to the election.

2. Redirect all the tax money to his personal account for the next 4 years, partly to pay for #1.

Did you see beer, xmas, tourists, electricity or anything else in any of the above?

I have a very dear Thai friend who was paid by a friend of the mayor $80 USD to vote for him. She was going to vote for him anyways because she hates her neighbor, who is supporting the opposition and seeking a position in the government should the opposition win. He's a crook as well. Buying votes is common place in the LOS. But to hold the elections over Christmas, a peak holiday season, shows ignorance and incompetence on behalf of the government with regard to $$$$ and the island economy.

Holding the elections at Xmas wouldn't worry anyone as long as they didn't make the bars shut for it.

How many bar customers or workers are even eligible to vote in Samui elections? Very few. They just do it out of pure spite.

Some of the trucks have the date of the election written on the advertising trucks, it;s Sunday 23rd December.

It is indeed strange that with the powercuts going on and diesel shortage, these trucks still made the rounds.

The mayor is out of office since a few weeks, around 6 to 8 weeks at least. Until a new Mayor is elected, the previous mayor can't make any decisions, providing he is elected again.

I believe elections are usually held on Sundays which would make the date the 23rd. It is also normal to close the bars on the day before and the day of the election so Christmas should be OK!

That sounds slightly better, however still in the height of peak season.

I believe elections are usually held on Sundays which would make the date the 23rd. It is also normal to close the bars on the day before and the day of the election so Christmas should be OK!

That sounds slightly better, however still in the height of peak season.

Correct, she's the wife of the mayor who was voted out 4 years ago. This family has apparently a massive debt, so one can imagine what will happen if she gets voted back in again. Samui's interests may be put on a back burner for a while.

• Like 2

Despite the many unsupported rumours about the previous administration - the current mayor really has been supportive of the many farang-bases business and ventures on Samui.

HOWEVER - THE ELECTION IS BEING HELD OVER A 2 DAY PERIOD - AND IT'S NOT 24th DECEMBER.

Saturday 22nd is the first of the dry days, with the actual voting happening on the 23rd.

The info from the vans and half a dozen Thai friends have confirmed this.

The OP gave me a fright - simply cos of the govt attitude. I should have checked it out before ranting - sorry.

R

Despite the many unsupported rumours about the previous administration - the current mayor really has been supportive of the many farang-bases business and ventures on Samui.

HOWEVER - THE ELECTION IS BEING HELD OVER A 2 DAY PERIOD - AND IT'S NOT 24th DECEMBER.

Saturday 22nd is the first of the dry days, with the actual voting happening on the 23rd.

The info from the vans and half a dozen Thai friends have confirmed this.

The OP gave me a fright - simply cos of the govt attitude. I should have checked it out before ranting - sorry.

R

Apologies for the fright.

Well the power issue has segued into the no booze during election issues.

I guess the black out is receding quickly.

Never thought it was the mayors fault, he doesn't run the PEA.

But certainly getting pressure put from many sources onto the PEA,

is a good thing. Let's not let this be quickly forgotten.

Lived here under this mayor and the old mayer.

I like Khun Ramnate much more.

• Like 1

Booze buy early and buy often, but buy BEFORE the election.

BYOB under a paper cover.

Family Pack

Long Neck

Let's not forget the 5 *

Available now & can be personalised.

People with a life, probably not going to spend Christmas day sitting in a bar anyway.... get real! rolleyes.gif

People with a real life here, i.e. those supporting their wives and children by operating bars catering to tourists, and the staff that work in those bars, rely on trade at the busiest time of the year to balance their books. We get it that you do nothing, but don't pretend that this doesn't negatively affect a lot of people, because it does.

• Like 2

People with a life, probably not going to spend Christmas day sitting in a bar anyway.... get real! rolleyes.gif

People with a real life here, i.e. those supporting their wives and children by operating bars catering to tourists, and the staff that work in those bars, rely on trade at the busiest time of the year to balance their books. We get it that you do nothing, but don't pretend that this doesn't negatively affect a lot of people, because it does.

I realize that, but not everyone comes here to sit in a bar.... day in and day out !tongue.png

People open bars here knowing very well the perils involved, weather, world economy etc...

My heart doesn't bleed for them, they know very well what they are getting into & if they don't know or budget for it , they are naive.

Yes the island & the laws do not evolve around bars.

• Like 1

I realize that, but not everyone comes here to sit in a bar.... day in and day out !tongue.png

It affects restaurants that serve drinks too.

People who have 2 beers also order extra food and tend to tip better at the end of the meal.

And people who normally don't drink much will have a Christmas toast, or imbibe a bit of Christmas spirits.

It also affect the music bars where people who normally don't go out,

might go for a holiday night out on their vacation.

The sad part is those determined to get Thais drunk to manipulate their vote,

will do it anyway with stock bought beforehand.

Edited by animatic

People open bars here knowing very well the perils involved, weather, world economy etc...

My heart doesn't bleed for them, they know very well what they are getting into & if they don't know or budget for it , they are naive.

Thats right; let them eat cake. I'm alright jack.

There was me wondering where the community spirit had gone. cheesy.gif

Take a look around, buddy. This island pretty much does. It's a tourist Island, and tourists like bars, whether they are in the street or in their hotel. The laws against bars opening on election days are ridiculous (especially given that many bars who know the right people can ignore them with impunity), and any foreigner who thinks it's great should have their income taken away for a few days and see how they like it.

The island's economy has already been devastated by the desertion of tourists following 3 days of blackouts, another 2 days in december is going to see a lot of businesses going broke. December is usually the busiest month of the year.

If you really dislike bars so much, perhaps you should stop reading this forum. It is, after all, sponsored by bars.

Edited by ydraw

Take a look around, buddy. This island pretty much does. It's a tourist Island, and tourists like bars, whether they are in the street or in their hotel. The laws against bars opening on election days are ridiculous (especially given that many bars who know the right people can ignore them with impunity), and any foreigner who thinks it's great should have their income taken away for a few days and see how they like it.

The island's economy has already been devastated by the desertion of tourists following 3 days of blackouts, another 2 days in december is going to see a lot of businesses going broke. December is usually the busiest month of the year.

If you really dislike bars so much, perhaps you should stop reading this forum. It is, after all, sponsored by bars.

Sorry, you and I must close, It's the law.

If you want to change it run, for government.