Upcoming Elections And The Power Cut.

Sorry, you and I must close, It's the law.

If you want to change it run, for government.

I am not Thai, so cannot run for government. And I do not run a bar, but obviously living in Samui I know plenty of people who both run and work in bars. They are doing it pretty tough at the moment.

I am not Thai, so cannot run for government. And I do not run a bar, but obviously living in Samui I know plenty of people who both run and work in bars. They are doing it pretty tough at the moment.

Just get permanent residency and after that apply for citizenship and then run for office.

• Like 2

Just get permanent residency and after that apply for citizenship and then run for office.

so is this an Aprils fool post?

Has this ever happened in thailand before ? I. Know in Spain it has from Brits with residency

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

The prime minister of Australia was born in Wales, and moved to Australia when she was 5 years old.

If she moved to Thailand instead, she'd probably still be reporting to immigration every 90 days wink.png

Edited by ydraw
  • Like 2

I believe elections are usually held on Sundays which would make the date the 23rd. It is also normal to close the bars on the day before and the day of the election so Christmas should be OK!

I read same, the 23rd, in the local printed papers. So yes, no beer bars or discossad.png 22nd and 23rd.

Xmas is definitely not on the radar of people who run Samui. Last year they were putting bitumen on the Chumchon Chaweng Yai Soi 4 .. perhaps the main road towards the Chaweng beach on the very eve of Xmas. All the traffic going towards the beach was badly affected. It's like almost saying " you farang with your funny holidays are the least of our concern - this is Thailand and we will run it the way we want". This kind of altitude on the island that has tourism as principal economic activity is not helpful and it only shows how "limited" these people are.

• Like 1

so if politicians buy votes what is stopping the voter taking money from both sides and voting for anyone?

yes the Lady canidated is the old mayor's wife

also rememeber that allot of us who live here do have a say if our wife's/ girl friends mia nois are registrered to samui so it is all ok not caring about us forang but allot of the boters are married to us.

• Like 1

so if politicians buy votes what is stopping the voter taking money from both sides and voting for anyone?

yes the Lady canidated is the old mayor's wife

also rememeber that allot of us who live here do have a say if our wife's/ girl friends mia nois are registrered to samui so it is all ok not caring about us forang but allot of the boters are married to us.

Dont know to many that are registered in Samui, the figures show registered as living Samui well below the actual Thai people living there.

The prime minister of Australia was born in Wales, and moved to Australia when she was 5 years old.

If she moved to Thailand instead, she'd probably still be reporting to immigration every 90 days wink.png

If she had moved to the States she certainly would not be President either.

So apart from the bars being closed what else is going to limit tourism during the election? For example, what about tour operators or local markets? I ask because my family and I arrive on the 22nd December and having not been to Koh Samui and certainly not during an election I would like to know what to expect.

Has this ever happened in thailand before ? I. Know in Spain it has from Brits with residency

yes there was a story on here where someone had written their long road to getting thai nationality.

took him 7 years.

for residency visa you need 3 1 year work visas bac to back with a salaery of 80,000 baht per month

with x amount in the bank

u must read and write in thai 2 apply for rewsidency visa which lasts about 3 years. once u have residency visa you can apply for thai citerczernship whicin invloves singing both thai national anthems infront of government officals and i think maybe even a test.

possibley more

yes there was a story on here where someone had written their long road to getting thai nationality.

took him 7 years.

for residency visa you need 3 1 year work visas bac to back with a salaery of 80,000 baht per month

with x amount in the bank

u must read and write in thai 2 apply for rewsidency visa which lasts about 3 years. once u have residency visa you can apply for thai citerczernship whicin invloves singing both thai national anthems infront of government officals and i think maybe even a test.

possibley more

The 'possibly more' is that you have to be over 60 and bring both Grandparents (alive of course) to the interview giggle.gif

• Like 2

The only real losers are the bar owners.

And the bar staff. And the people who supply the bars with drinks. And the people who sell things that the bar owners and workers would have bought if they had a little bit of extra money. And the people who sell things to those people.

In short, the only real losers are people who live in Thailand.

Edited by ydraw

• 9 months later...

Don't you just love elections? thumbsup.gif

There is another one coming up soon, and lo and behold - all of the potholes have been filled in on the roads in the area where I live. whistling.gif

Mind you - they have only put a temporary patch in the holes. The potholes will be back after the next big rains. clap2.gif

Don't you just love elections? thumbsup.gif

There is another one coming up soon, and lo and behold - all of the potholes have been filled in on the roads in the area where I live. whistling.gif

Mind you - they have only put a temporary patch in the holes. The potholes will be back after the next big rains. clap2.gif

Election Sunday 15/09/2013. Potholes Monday 16/09/2013.

• Like 2