Speeding Drunk British Man Dies In Car Crash

Rimmer

First of all, you don't know that he came from a busy part of town. The area in which the accident happened is pretty sparsely populated, with villages dotted around but not in any high density fashion. So how do you know he wasn't popping out to the local 7/11 which is a few hundred yards further on?

Any reference to what you can or cannot do in Bangkok at 1 am is completely conjecture and superfluous to this conversation.

BKK means Suvarnabhumi Airport, not Bangkok. Most people with more than half a brain would realise this. You, apparently, do not qualify.

How many signs are there around Pattaya advertising taxi services to BKK for 800B? A thousand? Five thousand? More?

If asked they will also drive out to Pong to take a drunken farang from the nearby 7/11 back to his house, if he cant stagger that far. Indeed any bahtbus will do it also.

Of course all this requires that the farang in question isnt just a cheap piss-artist who prefers to put his own life and the lives of others in mortal danger, rather than spend a couple of hundred Baht. And this is the crux of the problem.

There can be no possible excuse for driving whilst incapacitated.

Wow just wow, i know people on Thaivisa are the most opinionated aggressive know it alls you could ever have the misfortune of reading .... but i am stunned to see someone get angry about someone referring to Bangkok as BKK, you really have issues.

PS When i use to fly to Don Muang airport i am pretty sure it was BKK

• Like 2

Wow just wow, i know people on Thaivisa are the most opinionated aggressive know it alls you could ever have the misfortune of reading .... but i am stunned to see someone get angry about someone referring to Bangkok as BKK, you really have issues.

Angry? To get angry about whether he knows the difference between the two I would have to be interested in him, and I'm not in the slightest. Bit of a mystery how you dreamt that up.

I am interested in whether or not I will be hit by a drunken driver next time I cross the road though.

PS When i use to fly to Don Muang airport i am pretty sure it was BKK

It was, until Suvarnabhumi replaced it as Bangkok's main airport a half-dozen years ago.

First of all, you don't know that he came from a busy part of town. The area in which the accident happened is pretty sparsely populated, with villages dotted around but not in any high density fashion. So how do you know he wasn't popping out to the local 7/11 which is a few hundred yards further on?

Any reference to what you can or cannot do in Bangkok at 1 am is completely conjecture and superfluous to this conversation.

Unless ye pishedguitar.gif

BKK means Suvarnabhumi Airport, not Bangkok. Most people with more than half a brain would realise this. You, apparently, do not qualify.

How many signs are there around Pattaya advertising taxi services to BKK for 800B? A thousand? Five thousand? More?

If asked they will also drive out to Pong to take a drunken farang from the nearby 7/11 back to his house, if he cant stagger that far. Indeed any bahtbus will do it also.

Of course all this requires that the farang in question isnt just a cheap piss-artist who prefers to put his own life and the lives of others in mortal danger, rather than spend a couple of hundred Baht. And this is the crux of the problem.

While fully realising that you have issues with airports and geography, please let me reiterate my previous statements. There is no real evidence to show he was drunk, only that one "witness" said he smelled alcohol. There has been nothing to say he was in town that night. He may have been a short distance from where he lives, A doctor stated he died because of heart problems.

Now, might I say that it is probably a good thing that he died that night, because you appear to want him hung again

While fully realising that you have issues with airports and geography, please let me reiterate my previous statements. There is no real evidence to show he was drunk, only that one "witness" said he smelled alcohol. There has been nothing to say he was in town that night. He may have been a short distance from where he lives, A doctor stated he died because of heart problems.

This discussion has nothing to do with the actual person in the news report. If you had actually read my initial comment to which you replied you would be aware that I was talking generally about any drunken driver.

To refresh your memory, I wrote: "There is no possible excuse for anyone to drive whilst incapacitated here as public transport is widely available 24/7 and is extremely cheap."

You then went on to complain that there is no public transport in Pong, a statement which is total nonsense as I have demonstrated. Now you seem to have veered off into some bizarre ramble about hanging dead people, which again makes no sense and is nothing to do with the discussion in hand.

I have no issues at all with either airports or geography, it is you who doesn't seem to comprehend that if taxis are available 24/7 from Pattaya to Bangkok airport for 1000B (which they are) then clearly taxis will also be available for local trips around Pattaya at much lower cost (which they are). Of course if you think that your life isn't worth 500 or 1000B, that's up to you and I do understand your reasoning. But I suspect that most people here would be prepared to spend that sum in order to end their evening alive rather than dead, and they probably also hope that other drivers would do the same rather than drive whilst intoxicated and put innocent peoples' lives at risk along with their own.

This discussion has nothing to do with the actual person in the news report. If you had actually read my initial comment to which you replied you would be aware that I was talking generally about any drunken driver.

To refresh your memory, I wrote: "There is no possible excuse for anyone to drive whilst incapacitated here as public transport is widely available 24/7 and is extremely cheap."

You then went on to complain that there is no public transport in Pong, a statement which is total nonsense as I have demonstrated. Now you seem to have veered off into some bizarre ramble about hanging dead people, which again makes no sense and is nothing to do with the discussion in hand.

I have no issues at all with either airports or geography, it is you who doesn't seem to comprehend that if taxis are available 24/7 from Pattaya to Bangkok airport for 1000B (which they are) then clearly taxis will also be available for local trips around Pattaya at much lower cost (which they are). Of course if you think that your life isn't worth 500 or 1000B, that's up to you and I do understand your reasoning. But I suspect that most people here would be prepared to spend that sum in order to end their evening alive rather than dead, and they probably also hope that other drivers would do the same rather than drive whilst intoxicated and put innocent peoples' lives at risk along with their own.

This is like arguing with a demented woman. There is nothing written anywhere that he was anywhere near Pattaya city that night. So even if he wanted to pay double where would he get public transport in the Pong area at that time of night? You reckon you have demonstrated that there is a lot of public transport, cheaply available in that area. I reckon you are trying to make a complete idiot of yourself as I actually live in the area and after 6pm, there is no public transport.

But never mind, you live in your own lttle world, so you wouldn't need transport anyway

So even if he wanted to pay double where would he get public transport in the Pong area at that time of night? You reckon you have demonstrated that there is a lot of public transport, cheaply available in that area. I reckon you are trying to make a complete idiot of yourself as I actually live in the area and after 6pm, there is no public transport.

Yeah, right. I suppose mobile phones dont work in Pong either?

So even if he wanted to pay double where would he get public transport in the Pong area at that time of night? You reckon you have demonstrated that there is a lot of public transport, cheaply available in that area. I reckon you are trying to make a complete idiot of yourself as I actually live in the area and after 6pm, there is no public transport.

Well, unless he was actually drunk, which is still unproven, why would he need to call anyone?

Let us compromise. I'll let you get the last word in and you admit to suffering from PMT/PMS. There are medicines for this affliction. Please remind me to ignore your posts next month around this time

its hard to explain if you don't know the area. so, as I live here, Pong, perhaps this will help.

the sprawling city has, now, extended way over the suk. but once you reach the lake, 5 mins from "shophouse city", this area has very very few streetlights, is still as rural as any issaan area and there are no MC taxi drivers ( yet) sitting around or taxis of any kind. Pong, itself, has just suffered the usual invasion ( only last year) of a mini tesco and of course a 7. until then the only convenience store was on the motorway. there is no pharmacy or clinic in the village. its a well spread out village and, at night, hardly anyone is about. the bars are actually spread sparingly around the lake and are not in Pong really but in the "middle of nowhere".

long may it stay this way but, sadly, there are already signs of invasion.

The road around the lake.. they started to put new tarmac down this weekend. the road is now "super wide" but the next accident will beon the many bridges in the road which are now half as wide as the road itself and have concrete posts and railings to either side. and no warning signs. watch this space!

Well, unless he was actually drunk, which is still unproven, why would he need to call anyone?

Which part of "this discussion is about anyone who drives whilst intoxicated, not a particular person" do you not understand?

I maintain that there is no excuse for anyone to drive whilst intoxicated here as cheap public transport is, at most, only a phone call away, even in Pong. Even hiring a chauffeur is not expensive here.

You may choose to try to defend the indefensible if you wish, but to me it only suggests that maybe you also drive whilst drunk and are desperately looking for some sort of excuse for doing so. And in that case I am very glad not to live anywhere near you.

the sprawling city has, now, extended way over the suk. but once you reach the lake, 5 mins from "shophouse city", this area has very very few streetlights, is still as rural as any issaan area and there are no MC taxi drivers ( yet) sitting around or taxis of any kind. Pong, itself, has just suffered the usual invasion ( only last year) of a mini tesco and of course a 7. until then the only convenience store was on the motorway. there is no pharmacy or clinic in the village. its a well spread out village and, at night, hardly anyone is about. the bars are actually spread sparingly around the lake and are not in Pong really but in the "middle of nowhere".

I've driven through Pong many times so I do know it. My point is that even in Pong you dont have to drive whilst drunk. You can call a taxi and it will come. You can even hire a car and driver for the evening for relatively little cost.

Many people here seem to value their lives and those of others at less than the cost of getting that taxi or hiring that driver, but I do not. Hopefully at some point the Thai police will start dealing seriously with drunken drivers.

Which part of "this discussion is about anyone who drives whilst intoxicated, not a particular person" do you not understand?

I maintain that there is no excuse for anyone to drive whilst intoxicated here as cheap public transport is, at most, only a phone call away, even in Pong. Even hiring a chauffeur is not expensive here.

You may choose to try to defend the indefensible if you wish, but to me it only suggests that maybe you also drive whilst drunk and are desperately looking for some sort of excuse for doing so. And in that case I am very glad not to live anywhere near you.

Sir, you do not know me. If you did know me you would know that I never drink when driving. I have a driver should I need to travel to social events.

i would not care to accuse you of being an irresponsible driver without proof, as you have done with me, but I deny you the right to cast aspersions about someone who has the temerity to disagree with your silly opinionated drivel. Good day to you

Well, for what ever reasons, it is true, that people out here, drink and drive, all you have to do is look at all the cars parked around the bars at night, both Thai and farang. As far as the public transportation goes, you might have to sleep at the bar, if you called a taxi and waited. Hiring a car and driver? You must be in a different income bracket than most, since no one would hire a car and driver for one or two beers. Yes, some drink more, and yes the police should do something about it, but since the police dont worry too much about Sukhumvit full of drunk drivers, I doubt they will come out here to look for any, unless its just for the 400 baht.