New Year's Eve- 12,500++/person

L&J

Mandarin Oriental Dhara Dhevi Red Square Cocktail reception from 7pm until 8pm Khong Khao Lawn Changston Lanna Band Lanna Fashion Show Traditional Thai Dance Show Live DJ Countdown Fireworks display and Khom Loy release. From 8pm until 00.15am – 12,500bht ++ per person

Please don't consider this an advertisement. It is meant as an observation on a group that is upset that the minimun wage is being raised to 300 baht/day (you only have to work 42

days to pay for the night out-sorry that didn't account for the ++)

sounds about right for the correct party...not every one would want to dress up for that ...but there are some who enjoy paying for the 3-6 months rent for a night of fun !

be in australia for the NY and the chic chic bars are not any cheaper when you add the drinks up.

Well I wont be going, bit too upmarket for me,I suppose most of

the people attending will be the same ones that are saying that

if they have to pay 300 bht wages per day ,it will ruin their businesses !!

Thats the way the World is now.

regards Worgeordie

There was an article in the BP the other day about a Thai/Chinese clothing manufacturer who decided

to move his factory operation to Cambodia "because" of the increase in the minimum wage to 300 baht/day

from 250. He said that he only had pay 51 baht/day wages in Cambodia. In case you might want to not buy his

product in the future forget it- he is a subcontractor for over 80 different brands.

Recon i will be back at the "but and ben"in the mountains of Mae On with a bottle of Highland Park,Steak pie (in the oven) avec pommes de terres and peas,shortbread and blackbun on the table plus a 20 year old recording of Andy Stewart and the White Heather Club in the video.......

getting in the mood....there woz a soldier..... a ........

they will have a LIVE DJ

I should think so. I wouldn't be happy paying 12 grand for a dead one!

Expect the dodgy pricing is to keep away da riffraff. Just think, for less than 100 baht one could scoff a quality bowl of khao soy, down a tin of Chang, release a 20 baht kom loy and blow up a pack of cheapo air bombs at Buak Hat park and forego all that other superfluous stuff.

Can't beat the setting though:

Mandarin-Oriental-Dhara-Dhevi,-Chiang-Mai,-Thailand.jpg

the setting in the hotel is stunning and from a hotelier point of view, the ambience and the operating costs of staging such an ambience is high. The costs of attending are high but I dont see on their marketing slant them wanting everyone to attend as well :-)

I agree there must be cheaper places to go, but for those who can afford it and want it...i can't think of a better formal setting to enjoy the festive event in CM. Ditto on "formal"

I agree with LC. I had the opportunity recently to spend an afternoon photographing their grounds. I can assure you that they don't skimp on anything, including the quality of their staff.

I think it's unfair to group them with businesses who might be upset over the increase of the minimum wage.

12.5k for a cocktail reception lasting 1 hour so maybe 3-5 drinks per person, a live DJ with countdown, fashion show, Thai dance show, loy release and a fireworks display that I presume the people on the outside will be able to see. That is a lotta cash for an event that does not include food as part of the program.

I can see the advert now...

Come to our show, but please eat before your arrive as only snacks will be served. giggle.gif

12.5k for a cocktail reception lasting 1 hour so maybe 3-5 drinks per person, a live DJ with countdown, fashion show, Thai dance show, loy release and a fireworks display that I presume the people on the outside will be able to see. That is a lotta cash for an event that does not include food as part of the program.

Come to our show, but please eat before your arrive as only snacks will be served. giggle.gif

One would have to be a fool to think the people who pay 12,500 for admission would give a second thought to paying a couple thousand more

for dinner at the same place should they feel hungry.

One would have to be a fool to think the people who pay 12,500 for admission would give a second thought to paying a couple thousand more

for dinner at the same place should they feel hungry.

I think a better statement would have been... One would have to be a fool to cough up 12.5k for admission to a New Year's event where food, if any, is an additional fee.

That is actually amazing. At least they could have sold two programs: One including dinner for an additional price and one without. I am actually surprised that this was not done. It's a 5-hour evening program and I am surprised that a full meal is on offer.