Etihad Guest, Anyone Ordered?

changnaam

I have just ordered some things from the frequent flyer program, sunglasses and watches. Has anyone tried this and should I expect a nasty surprise from our friends in customs?

I hoped as a"gift" it might slide through or am I being optimistic?

Cheers

Yes

I ordered a watch and Customs just loved it along with the bill they forwarded with it. Luckily on the declaration Etihad did not use the value that they do in their brochure and used a value that I believe was closer to the real price.

Thanks for the responses, was pretty much like I thought. I think I will contact the seller (agent) and see if I cen get them sent as repaired or alternatively back to the UK and pick them up there.

Would love to test the system but cannot be bothered paying 60% on sunglasses that on the brochure are £200 but retail much less.

Think the UK will be the option, don't fancy being the Guinea Pig on this one smile.png

I ordered a rucksack, not valuable, came through easy enough and well within the time suggested on their website.

Ditto.

I wasn't going to fly with them again, since their prices had gone up substantially, so I used my ff-points and ordered a day-pack from their list, which was sent to my family in the UK, and has turned out to be excellent-quality !

Thanks for the responses, was pretty much like I thought. I think I will contact the seller (agent) and see if I cen get them sent as repaired or alternatively back to the UK and pick them up there.

Would love to test the system but cannot be bothered paying 60% on sunglasses that on the brochure are £200 but retail much less.

Think the UK will be the option, don't fancy being the Guinea Pig on this one smile.png

Don't use a courier service, just regular mail delivery. Or pick them up on your next trip through AUH?

Don't use a courier service, just regular mail delivery. Or pick them up on your next trip through AUH?

Cannot !!!

It's mail delivery only. You order with Etihad and they send your order to the suppliers who then dispatch the item to you.

Yermanee rolleyes.gif

Yes I have been on to them today to ask for delivery options. If they can send by mail I think I will try it. If courier is the only option then it is going to have to be the UK and pick them up.

Cheers for the thoughts, yermanee not sure if you were lucky but sounds more promising.

I ordered a backpack, company in uk crosskase sent it with tnt , tnt asked me for storage fee 250 baht per day , took them 7 days to notify me , 480 baht customs duty 250 baht customs clearance , send you copy passport it will take another 3 days to clear ie 3300 baht for a pack pack valued at £ 70 i told tnt keep it , i will not pay you anything .

Had confirmation from both sunglasses and watch supplier that they have loads of problems with customs. They have tried marking "gift" as well as low invoice value. always high tax charge.

Both recommend sending to UK. Hope this helps others in future.

Had confirmation from both sunglasses and watch supplier that they have loads of problems with customs. They have tried marking "gift" as well as low invoice value. always high tax charge.

Both recommend sending to UK. Hope this helps others in future.

Their comments reflect my own experience and I agree if you can use another address then do.

We live in Belgium and travel to Thailand 3 times a year. Wife and daughter are passionate scuba divers and also love Thailand.

We use Etihad for a number of reasons.

1. The Flights leave Brussels late morning and arrive BKK just before 07:00. Departures are at 02:55 - so arrival and departure give us two good days "on the ground".

2. Prices: Yes, I agree with Ricardo above - the Etihad prices are up by about 30% - though it feels like more - but then other airlines have also increased fares.

3. Aeroflot is not an option, nor is Jet Air as they have financial problems. Qatar's flight times are too long and again - SAS are in trouble financially.

4. Etihad's flights are a pleasure. Seats are good, business class is truly first class at a discount, the meals are good and the cabin staff are fantastic.

5. Etihad did downgrade their Frequent Flyer / Guest flyer points system - which was a bit mean and tawdry - so now it means 7 return flights (BRU-BKK-BRU) to pay for 1 free ticket instead of 5. - Sniff.

6. Gifts for points. Not many airlines do offer such a fantastic selection of "Gifts for purchase".

7. Checked Luggage: The Free Allowance is now set at a minimum of 30kgs. Add a further 5 if you are just a Guest member and a further 10 if you are a Silver Guest member. This means a Silver member flying Economy can take 40 kilos and in Business 50 kilos. Now compare that with the other airlines with 20 or 23 kgs - Etihad are pretty good.

Happy Landings.

• Like 1

We live in Belgium and travel to Thailand 3 times a year. Wife and daughter are passionate scuba divers and also love Thailand.

We use Etihad for a number of reasons.

1. The Flights leave Brussels late morning and arrive BKK just before 07:00. Departures are at 02:55 - so arrival and departure give us two good days "on the ground".

2. Prices: Yes, I agree with Ricardo above - the Etihad prices are up by about 30% - though it feels like more - but then other airlines have also increased fares.

3. Aeroflot is not an option, nor is Jet Air as they have financial problems. Qatar's flight times are too long and again - SAS are in trouble financially.

4. Etihad's flights are a pleasure. Seats are good, business class is truly first class at a discount, the meals are good and the cabin staff are fantastic.

5. Etihad did downgrade their Frequent Flyer / Guest flyer points system - which was a bit mean and tawdry - so now it means 7 return flights (BRU-BKK-BRU) to pay for 1 free ticket instead of 5. - Sniff.

6. Gifts for points. Not many airlines do offer such a fantastic selection of "Gifts for purchase".

7. Checked Luggage: The Free Allowance is now set at a minimum of 30kgs. Add a further 5 if you are just a Guest member and a further 10 if you are a Silver Guest member. This means a Silver member flying Economy can take 40 kilos and in Business 50 kilos. Now compare that with the other airlines with 20 or 23 kgs - Etihad are pretty good.

Happy Landings.

Checked luggage also allows golf clubs up to 15kg and some other things are extra as well. If you fly and take the full allowance particularly as a Gold member 45kg + golf clubs 15kg trouble is how do you fly out of BKK domestically. Last month I thought better to book Thai business class as I had 40 kg and they checked it all in with no excess luggage payable but I wonder what would have happened had I booked economy.

All the fares have gone up a bit but I think it is a question if you can of booking in advance and being patient until they release fares in classes with lower costs. Economy has about 8 classes so there are big variations in prices.

Personally I don't like Etihad's scheme now and am thinking of changing as until you book the FF ticket you don't know how many miles you need and even though the ticket is free the taxes are now horrendous.