British Embassy Bangkok Joins Forces With Ministry Of Tourism To Tackle Tourist Scams

webfact

The British Embassy joins forces with Thailand’s Ministry of Tourism to tackle tourist scams

mk.jpeg

BANGKOK:-- Thailand’s Ministry of Tourism and Sports recently launched a television campaign to encourage Thais to be good hosts to foreign tourists.

With over 850,000 British tourists visiting Thailand each year, British Ambassador Mark Kent jumped at the opportunity to be involved and highlight some of the problems tourists face when visiting Thailand.

Mark joined the filming of the campaign with Chumpol Silpa-archa, Deputy Prime Minister and Tourism and Sports Minister. The television campaign (insert link to youtube video of commercial) will run until the end of December.

Mar Kent, British Ambassador, said:

“This cooperation with the Ministry is a concrete example of the Embassy’s continuous effort to tackle the problems some Brits encounter when in Thailand.

Each year more than 850,000 British nationals visit Thailand.

We at the Embassy here would like to make sure that they travel safely, receive a warm welcome and have a good time here.

The Consular team at the Embassy is here to help and we also work with the Thai government to make this happen.”

British Ambassador to Thailand on the campaign "Being Good Hosts" for Thailand tourism

Source: http://ukinthailand....sR&id=841961682

-- UK in Thailand 2012-12-07

footer_n.gif

Sad state of affairs when a foreign consular office has to step in to assist in doing a job the local authorities have failed to do.

We at the Embassy here would like to make sure that they travel safely, receive a warm welcome and have a good time here.

Strange, no mention in the article of Thailand being the most dangerous tourism destination for Britons.

It should be up to local authorities to make sure tourists receive a warm welcome and that wherever they travel to is safe.

The Embassy should only have to be concerned about the behaviour of its citizens abroad and issuing advice and travel warnings.

• Like 2

A 20 second video politely asking people not to take advantage of Tourists is hardly worthy of the title " Tackling tourist scams " ! Nice touch showing happy holidaymakers having a great time on their rented jet-skis on Pattaya beach though !

Well done Mark ...about as useful as making a video wishing everyone a Merry Christmas !

“This cooperation with the Ministry is a concrete example of the Embassy’s continuous effort to tackle the problems some Brits encounter when in Thailand."

​Absolute tosh man,speaking from the Embassy's flip-chart of well rehearsed nicey nicey responses....grow some balls and say what is really happening here....if they will let you that is! Ambassador my Arse! ermm.gif

• Like 2

As if any Thais, especially the Ministry of Tourism and Sports will listen to a Farang. And, what about the videos from Australia and the Netherlands that were posted here - https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bureau-of-Prevention-and-Assistance-in-Tourist-Fraud/347089205337410?ref=ts&fref=ts at the

Bureau of Prevention and Assistance in Tourist Fraud Facebook page

• Like 1

I guess the biggest scams are property and jet ski's. Dont go near a jet ski and dont buy any sort of property especially if you cant feel it or physically see it for starters! Why anyone but a dreamer would want to even buy a genuine condo is a mystery to me. You dont who your neighbours are going to be and it will be difficult to sell on, plus it ties to the same places all the time, better to have short time rent or hotel, keep your money and your options open. Keep em peeled and dont have nightmares.

• Like 2

I guess the biggest scams are property and jet ski's. Dont go near a jet ski and dont buy any sort of property especially if you cant feel it or physically see it for starters! Why anyone but a dreamer would want to even buy a genuine condo is a mystery to me. You dont who your neighbours are going to be and it will be difficult to sell on, plus it ties to the same places all the time, better to have short time rent or hotel, keep your money and your options open. Keep em peeled and dont have nightmares.

The article is about tourist scams and "Tourists" I would suggest are less likely to buy a condo (real or unreal).

The subject however has been done to death in enough posts so I am not sure why you are raising it again here...wink.png

Anyhow different strokes for different folks

• Like 1

I think if they told the bib NOT to try n rip tourist's off, that would be a start, then the the jet ski' boys told to behave or they will not operate, next the taxi's and the song tao's, to play nice and, WOW things are a hell of a lot better for the falang tourist and the thai people.wai2.gif

While the decision to close the Pattaya consulate was probably made before Mark arrived it certainly wont help the victims of crime.

Then again as Britain slides towards 3rd world status maybe their tourists they will feel right at home in Pattaya.

You have no doubt nailed it as this new collaboration may be the result of the Brits waking up and taking a page from the TAT playbook to get their turn at the 30% cookie jar.

A 20 second video politely asking people not to take advantage of Tourists is hardly worthy of the title " Tackling tourist scams " ! Nice touch showing happy holidaymakers having a great time on their rented jet-skis on Pattaya beach though !

Well done Mark ...about as useful as making a video wishing everyone a Merry Christmas !

Just enough video to get n'er-do-wells into the mindset that, "Hey, maybe cousin Somchai is right, it is easy to cheat these falang for some fast cash."

Edited by arrowsdawdle

While the decision to close the Pattaya consulate was probably made before Mark arrived it certainly wont help the victims of crime.

Then again as Britain slides towards 3rd world status maybe their tourists they will feel right at home in Pattaya.

Britain will never be 3rd world

Will it not? The way things are going in Britain, the population will soon be outnumbered by emigrants from third world countries, so that will make Britain a third world country. Thank goodness I now live in Thailand.

or putting ashtrays on their motorbikes.

4TH world then? :)

Yes...., true.... they will directly jump to 4th.

• Like 1

'BANGKOK:-- Thailand’s Ministry of Tourism and Sports recently launched a television campaign to encourage Thais to be good hosts to foreign tourists. '

Whilst this is true I would also like the reverse to be pointed out, I have seen so many fellow Brits treat Thais like shit for no reason except they were drunk and ignore the Thai culture. When in Rome?.

Please tell us Thai Culture and how you know it is Thai Culture or just a Thai Con

• Like 2