Experience Today At Land Office Samut Prakhan

went to meet the builder at the land office today and to pay for house etc with the mrs. Asked about usufruct form as I had seen it mentioned on here the land office will give you one then you have to have it stamped at the amphur for 210 baht. Nobody at the land office had ever heard of such a form and said I could get my name added tot eh blue book anyway at the amphur. Also mentioned my wife making a will out to me in the event of her death leaving me the house, which I understand has to be sold within one year. The land office said this was not possible as foreigner cannot own house, pretty sure I have read about the wife leaving a husband a house in this way before, are they right?

In the afternoon we went there, mrs got her name on it but they said i had to get a certificate of residence first from immigration (never heard f it) and they showed us an example of one, about 8 pages long. As we are moving from bkk to SP not sure what office I get that from. The they said I had to get it translated, stamped at my embassy and something else I could not see the need of. That was to go to laksi where we got married years ago to get the 'details' of the marriage, this despite showing our marriage certs and copies.

My question is is it worth all this just to get my name on the blue book? seems like they really don't want you to but if it's worth it I might. If I don't can I just turn up at SP immigration and give them my new address, without it seems having any proof that I actually live there, even though I paid for the place.

Edited by sms747

I am sorry to say, this is another case of Thai against 'sucker-farang". You can be sure that the landoffice issues usufruct to Thais every day of the week. Probably thinking they were doing your wife a favour by saying not possible. Your name in a yellow (blue) book is just a confirmation of adress, nothing else. The day your wife decides to sell your house, you can stand there with your confirmation of adress, and nothing more!

A despite not understanding the system, you went back in the afternoon and transferred the the house to her name. Sure that the builder, landofficestaff and your wife had a good laugh on your expense. Hope not, but get a lawyer to fix the usufruct for you, because ofcourse it can be done.

This post is not intended to question the moral of your wife, just be careful thumbsup.gif

yes you can have a Thai Will registered at the Amphur that leaves the house to you upon your wife's death & yes you have to sell or put into a family member name within a year. I have done so at the Amphur in Banglamung, Chon Buri and many other TV members have also posted their experiences on this matter. Suggest you go up the management tree to get it all sorted out.

The people at the landoffice are there only to perform one function and that is to register (which involves checking credentials and papers). That does not include sending you to do all kinds of stuff to prove something you already proved. (Marriage certificate, it is called a certificate for a reason!)

Their job is not to interpret laws and make up silly demands.

When this happens your only solution is to have a lawyer in tow in his best suit.

You as a 'farang' will make them loose face because you know it better than a 'typist'.

When you bring a lawyer they will accept their lower status and just perform the job they are supposed to do anyway.

It is the great fear of doing something wrong that stops them from doing what you asked. It is just because they have no knowledge about their work.

A lawyer just have to state what you want and it will be done because the lawyer must know.

If they still refuse, they are obstructing and a call to the ombudsman is in order.

• Like 1

Ok this is a Rancid sucker post but you may gleam some ideas from it. Many years ago I sent Mrs (white skinned) Rancid, now thankfully ex Mrs Rancid, to look for a condo, she told me that if changing into a foreigners name it would take months, time I couldn't afford, so it went in to her name so we could fly out on time. Rancid was dragging his hands on the ground in those days and was a trusting sole. Later after thing got rocky she sold the condo at a loss and I didn't see any money coming my way. Whoah sucker punch!

So it seems strange that all those officials lied to you, perhaps you could ask yourself, why would they do that, who suggested it, what was in it for them? That should keep you busy for about 2 minutes.

As I thought a will can be made in my favour but when the mrs asked at the Amphur for a second opinion we got a very odd reply. The official asked if the mrs had any disease or was dying, when she said no he said no need to make a will then, he obviously never heard of road accidents for starters.The stupidity of some officials here has never ceased to amaze me.

This is a house a never actually wanted to buy anyway and the mrs decided on it when I was away. having been there all weekend and meeting, and hearing, the racket from the next nieghbours I am doubtfull if I will even move in, it is quite remote anyway. I wanted to get an older house but of course the mrs wanted new, new, new. Always a gamble and it has not paid off, she will move in and we will probably end up going our different ways after 8 years. She got what she wanted the car and the house, so i think I did my best. I have enough to go home. I am just so tied of Thailand anyway, great in so many ways but always a guest with no rights, just about tolerated, and in my case very often moaned at for not being more Thai like. Thailand for the Thai's I say!

Edited by sms747

As I thought a will can be made in my favour but when the mrs asked at the Amphur for a second opinion we got a very odd reply. The official asked if the mrs had any disease or was dying, when she said no he said no need to make a will then, he obviously never heard of road accidents for starters.The stupidity of some officials here has never ceased to amaze me.

This is a house a never actually wanted to buy anyway and the mrs decided on it when I was away. having been there all weekend and meeting, and hearing, the racket from the next nieghbours I am doubtfull if I will even move in, it is quite remote anyway. I wanted to get an older house but of course the mrs wanted new, new, new. Always a gamble and it has not paid off, she will move in and we will probably end up going our different ways after 8 years. She got what she wanted the car and the house, so i think I did my best. I have enough to go home. I am just so tied of Thailand anyway, great in so many ways but always a guest with no rights, just about tolerated, and in my case very often moaned at for not being more Thai like. Thailand for the Thai's I say!

As sorry as I may feel for your "bad" luck, I can't help wonder why, if in a not good relation, you went back to the landoffice the same day to give your wife a house as a present??w00t.gif

And if you decide to go "home" grow some balls before a return in the future!

• Like 1

I certainly will not be coming back if I go home, also I am not sorry at all the mrs has what she has, she did put in all the money she had as well so did her bit towards her dream, and I was glad to help. I am in no way bitter, just tired of it all and nothing to do with having' balls' whatever that is meant to mean.

Sorry to hear all that , seems you are in the same frame of mind as me ,after 7 years I'm exactly the same ,told the wife a couple of years ago I will never buy or even bring money into the country and I'm back to uk next year to have a serious think about my life and future in Thailand

Good luck anyway

The trick is to not accept it if something does not go your way, walk away from it.

I have had many of those encounters in shops, restaurants, landoffice etc.

In shops they are completely without knowledge, my wife did believe the 'experts' and i let her see for herself that it was not. Since then whenever i have to purchase something of value i do the research and just walk into a shop and say which product i want.

In restaurants i return food i did not order or when it is cold, i order it in steps. First the appetizers, then ask for the menu again and order main dish, then get menu again and order desserts. If you do not, you get desserts, main dish and appetizers together and it will be a big mess, especially when with more people.

In the landoffice last time my wife had to prove where the funds came from. We said, as a Thai she does not have to prove it and we wanted to pay with a check. Of course i had to sign the little paper that it was her money, i have no problem with that. So we walked away. The seller made a very big deal about it and went ballistic. Not me, many other pieces of land for sale. Of course the sale went through and the demand of proof was gone.

It goes on and on. Don't let it get to you. The best way is to be prepared and not be in a hurry. Most purchases now are the ones i have in mind for a long time and just wait until i stumble upon the right product/shop. And i spend a little more and skip the junk altogether.

Edited by Khun Jean
  • Like 1

Many years ago I sent Mrs (white skinned) Rancid, now thankfully ex Mrs Rancid, to look for a condo, she told me that if changing into a foreigners name it would take months, time I couldn't afford, so it went in to her name so we could fly out on time. Rancid was dragging his hands on the ground in those days and was a trusting sole. Later after thing got rocky she sold the condo at a loss and I didn't see any money coming my way. Whoah sucker punch!

A sad story indeed and chock full of lessons for the next generation. I might step in with a minor correction, which is that the Mrs. did not sell at a loss. She racked up a tremendous profit on the deal! It was you, regrettably, who took a loss. wai.gif Of course, it is possible I have misinterpreted the situation.

"...they said i had to get a certificate of residence first from immigration (never heard f it) and they showed us an example of one, about 8 pages long. As we are moving from bkk to SP not sure what office I get that from. The they said I had to get it translated, stamped at my embassy and something else I could not see the need of."

The standard immigration residence certificate that I get at Jomtien is one page with a photo on it. It costs 200B and you dont have to get it stamped anywhere or translated as it is in Thai (unsurprisingly). The cost does vary from one immigration office to another (I think Bangkok is 500B) and I suppose the document itself could be slightly different from one branch to another. Hard to imagine how they could make 8 pages out of it though.

If you get a certificate from your consulate you will probably pay much more and it would need translating.