Samsung Galaxy S3 - Worth Coming To Bangkok?

pomozki

I live in Khon kaen, where you can only buy the 16gb model (20,000B) - there was a promo special for around 17-18,000B - promo now finished

I also need a 64gb external Micro SD storage card - up here it costs 2,300B

has anyone found a genuine store with either the 32Gb or 64gb models yet? - if so, how much?

if not, what is the best I can expect to get for a 16gb model if I come to BKK?

and can I do better on the Micro SD card?

thanks!

Ordering from Amazon or eBay can give you a better deal plus many more options, even after shipping and all taxes the price may be less than here. I found devices on demand pricey here, I buy from Amazon with no issues.

Ordering from Amazon or eBay can give you a better deal plus many more options, even after shipping and all taxes the price may be less than here. I found devices on demand pricey here, I buy from Amazon with no issues.

How easy is it to clear customs? Hassle factor? How long?

Have you seen that Samsung with the projector screen?

Saw that at the last Mobile fair at BITEC a few months back - quite fascinated with that concept.

Worked great, and with some decent speakers plugged into it it was a mini portable cinema for watching videos.

OP - this topic might get some more replies if the topic is moved to the IT - Mobiles forum where more techies hang out. Let us know if you want it moved, it will still be visible in the General forum.

It depends on the shipping method, with FedEx it usually takes 3 days to ship to your door from the U.S. 7%VAT will be calculated in Thailand and you will need to pay for it once your package is arrived. Customs clearance is pretty straightforward on electronic devices, I would suggest a fast delivery method on high-valuable items, like FedEx, the tracking is very accurate, but of course expensive. USPS is the worst, so it's better to consider it the last option for such items.

Saw that at the last Mobile fair at BITEC a few months back - quite fascinated with that concept.

Worked great, and with some decent speakers plugged into it it was a mini portable cinema for watching videos.

OP - this topic might get some more replies if the topic is moved to the IT - Mobiles forum where more techies hang out. Let us know if you want it moved, it will still be visible in the General forum.

sure, sorry for not posting in the right place - feel free to move it!

It depends on the shipping method, with FedEx it usually takes 3 days to ship to your door from the U.S. 7%VAT will be calculated in Thailand and you will need to pay for it once your package is arrived.

how does this work - the package arrives at my door and I have to pay 7% to the delivery guy ... or go to a post office?

I love the idea of buying from a reptutable US dealer, just wondering about the hassle, like the other OP, thanks

It depends on the shipping method, with FedEx it usually takes 3 days to ship to your door from the U.S. 7%VAT will be calculated in Thailand and you will need to pay for it once your package is arrived.

how does this work - the package arrives at my door and I have to pay 7% to the delivery guy ... or go to a post office?

I love the idea of buying from a reptutable US dealer, just wondering about the hassle, like the other OP, thanks

Yep, the delivery guy may sometimes call you to make sure you're home and tell you of the 7%VAT to have it ready. The amount is given as a print to you by post office, I don't think this is negotiable as it is official.

I recently bought a Nexus from a U.S. dealer, delivered in 3 days, no hassle, everything went more than great! If wanted to wait for it here, I don't know how many months and how costly that would be.

Sometimes the post officer calls you to pick up the package and pay the relevant duties there, but I haven't used USPS for the items above $50 yet, but others say you have to go to the post office if you need to pay for it, uncertain in different cases. Use a fast and reliable shipping method for valuable items if you want to purchase online as the security is certain on them...

Yep, the delivery guy may sometimes call you to make sure you're home and tell you of the 7%VAT to have it ready. The amount is given as a print to you by post office, I don't think this is negotiable as it is official.

I recently bought a Nexus from a U.S. dealer, delivered in 3 days, no hassle, everything went more than great! If wanted to wait for it here, I don't know how many months and how costly that would be.

Sometimes the post officer calls you to pick up the package and pay the relevant duties there, but I haven't used USPS for the items above $50 yet, but others say you have to go to the post office if you need to pay for it, uncertain in different cases. Use a fast and reliable shipping method for valuable items if you want to purchase online as the security is certain on them...

that's great thanks!

I think the 16 GB version of the I9300 or I9300T is the official version available here. The MSRP is 21,900, some box shops have it as low as 18,800. There may be grey-market, or otherwise unofficial, product available for less.

I think it would probably be less expensive, assuming you have transportation costs, to purchase it in Khon Kaen.

If you mean the Galaxy Beam, one of my friends have one.

The projector function is OK, but it is nowhere near as strong as a regular projector, so you need the room to be quite dark to be able to see the projected image well.

Spec wise, it is more on par with the S2 than the S3.

I think my friend bought it because the sales person in the store wow'd her in the store with the projector. She doesn't know much about phones so wouldn't have compared specs.

The uncertainty of the process + security + customs are concerns to me. I could see there being additional hassles for someone outside BKK, such as getting lost on the way from BKK, or payment of custom duties, particularly if you weren't there on delivery.

On the few occasions I've ordered online I've had it sent to a more reliable country, knowing that someone from there would be visiting me.

As you said it's easy, I thought I'd give it a try. I ordered a tablet PC by cashing in some airmiles for Etihad. That way if things get too much of a hassle I can just write it off, as the airmiles were expiring at end of this month anyway. I would note that on many items in the online Etihad rewards shop were not available for Thailand delivery :)

http://en.mirakar.co......=1&id_cate=1

You can buy the s3 for 15,000

Great find, dam_n that's cheap. I feel like a mug spending 21,900 on mine. How are they doing that? Is it imported? what about the warranty? I was going to write the to OP that he could buy a second-hand S3 in Khon kaen but maybe not much cheaper than the one you found. When I went to buy a case for mine I jokingly asked the shop how much I could sell my S3 for and 9,000 was the response, so there you go.

http://en.mirakar.co......=1&id_cate=1

You can buy the s3 for 15,000

Great find, dam_n that's cheap. I feel like a mug spending 21,900 on mine. How are they doing that? Is it imported? what about the warranty? I was going to write the to OP that he could buy a second-hand S3 in Khon kaen but maybe not much cheaper than the one you found. When I went to buy a case for mine I jokingly asked the shop how much I could sell my S3 for and 9,000 was the response, so there you go.

As long as you are comfortable purchasing an "unofficial" product then you can save some money, although the lowest price on the link was 15,490 and clicking through to that "shop" showed prices closer to 20,300. It is not unusual for these models to be sold "as is"; so no warranty. Often they are refurbished/re-worked units, or worse - they "fell off the back of the truck". ;) Just make sure you spend a few hours examining the unit and testing it, especially the screen.

yes its nice in white, horrible in yellow/black

Is the panasonic Eluga Power selling in Thailand? Not the standard Eluga, this one is still waterproof but has a front facing camera and better screen. I love this phone!!! its not avail in europe

Edited by fish fingers