Is Getting Out Of A Rental Lease In First 30 Days Possible?

CecilEugene

I have rented a nice home in a moo Baan in Sansai. I have been in the home less than 30 days. I am having recurring electrical issues and having problems with privacy. (The home is too close to others and not enough foliage to block the view. I feel like I am on display when sitting on my patio.) . A friend of mine has said that I can get out of my lease within the first 30 days and receive my deposit back even though it does not stipulate this in my contract. I think this is utter fantasy but not knowing everything and being wrong before when I thought I was right and in humility and hope I have decided to come to Thaivisa to see what the good folks here have to say and rationally settle the matter.

My other question is if I decide to break the lease and move and give up the deposit what are the repercussions if any besides losing almost 1000 USD. Of course I wouldn't want to do that but I am just wondering. Thanks for the input ahead of time.

If your contract don’t say it clear you can cancel in the first 30 days it will not be easy. If the owner doesn’t agree, give it up or find somebody who take the house and take the contract from you. You always should look close to new homes before you sign a contract. If you need help to find a new home, let me know http://www.buyrentchiangmai.com

Simple answer NO, not without the loss of your security deposit.

For the electrical issues get your landlord to fix them,

Regards the ambiance of the house,thats your fault ,you did

view the house before you signed the lease, ?

Sorry but you are stuck there for 12 months, its a lesson

learn t, sure you will not make same mistake next time

Regards Worgeordie

Sort of a rehash of your earlier post.

Hope you do some better ground work next time....I mean its not like trees are installed after you have viewed the rental, or the block size gets smaller, or the neighbours closer.

Essentially you have changed your mind and want to break lease with no penalty at the very start of the lease, not that fair on the owner who really is the innocent party in this.

If you are that concerned why not talk with owner now and see if you can leave, or if they have suitable alternate property, or even get a partial refund of deposit.

Perhaps look for another place at over next month and not pay rent (which again isn't that fair), or same after seeing owner, (ie live out deposit period while doing a more thorough search for a better fit next time).

Repercussions depends on a lot of things....are you planning in staying in same area, who is owner and wider family, how well do you know them or get on with them (is relationship just for month of property),is an agent involved etc.

Legal wise I would say minimal, you break lease you lose deposit, having said that the owner does have the right to seek to have contract enforced (but depending on sum involved, affluence, how long property has been empty or is likely to be, personality of owner/family,) is unlikely. I have seen an owner pursue a breach successfully as they themselves had made commitments based upon that income (vehicle purchase by bank loan, and bank suggested he pursue).

you should rent the place for a month at a higher rate then sign the year lease if possible. many places will allow it.

i hear you about the privacy issue. had the same thing happen more then once. its one of the worst situations and makes both parties uncomfortable.

i have found that people react to the irritation different ways, some avoid, others move, and others get overly chatty or friendly, others want to come over all the time.

but whatever the response, it does not solve the issue, still feels weird having someone watching.

Edited by jacktrip

Sort of a rehash of your earlier post.

Hope you do some better ground work next time....I mean its not like trees are installed after you have viewed the rental, or the block size gets smaller, or the neighbours closer.

Essentially you have changed your mind and want to break lease with no penalty at the very start of the lease, not that fair on the owner who really is the innocent party in this.

If you are that concerned why not talk with owner now and see if you can leave, or if they have suitable alternate property, or even get a partial refund of deposit.

Perhaps look for another place at over next month and not pay rent (which again isn't that fair), or same after seeing owner, (ie live out deposit period while doing a more thorough search for a better fit next time).

Repercussions depends on a lot of things....are you planning in staying in same area, who is owner and wider family, how well do you know them or get on with them (is relationship just for month of property),is an agent involved etc.

Legal wise I would say minimal, you break lease you lose deposit, having said that the owner does have the right to seek to have contract enforced (but depending on sum involved, affluence, how long property has been empty or is likely to be, personality of owner/family,) is unlikely. I have seen an owner pursue a breach successfully as they themselves had made commitments based upon that income (vehicle purchase by bank loan, and bank suggested he pursue).

Thanks for showing me my other post. I tried to find it and for some reason I couldn't and thought it did not post. This is a rehash. Now I will read the earlier post. Mistakes happen.

Edited by CecilEugene

Get landlord to sort electrical issues,consider buying small tree's potted variety,hanging baskets for balcony.

If that's no good flit and loose the deposit.

Even a good landlord would expect recompense,ie deposit,as he has to find a new tenant.

you should rent the place for a month at a higher rate then sign the year lease if possible. many places will allow it.

this allows for unforseen problems to emerge. like mosquitos, sexpat neighbors and other nuisances that can be hard for foreigners or newcomers to see.

Thanks this suggest has been helpful. Next time I will do that. I didn't think that was possible.

To others that are judgmental and not really helpful. Let me add my situation is fine. What situation is absolutely perfect? My friend keeps bugging me and I wanted FACTUAL info about getting out of a lease not a lot of judgement. I wanted info so she would stop bugging me and info for the future. Thanks jacktrip. I am not in crises or pulling my hair out or depressed. There is a ton of good features that my home has and it is working for me. Just looking for info from knowledgable people.

Get landlord to sort electrical issues,consider buying small tree's potted variety,hanging baskets for balcony.

If that's no good flit and loose the deposit.

Even a good landlord would expect recompense,ie deposit,as he has to find a new tenant.

Thank you for very helpful suggestions. Responses like yours and Jacktrip is why I post at Thaivisa.

Edited by CecilEugene