Thai Students Poor In Math, Science.

Lite Beer

Are you suggesting that the education a doctor in Thailand receives before the age of 22 is equivalent to a Western High School? Did you really miss my point by that much? Do you know anything about medical education in Thailand?

I mean I know you guys like to bad mouth Thailand but you are being silly.

Did you notice usage of 'not an absolute' and 'average'?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you suggesting that the education a doctor in Thailand receives before the age of 22 is equivalent to a Western High School? Did you really miss my point by that much? Do you know anything about medical education in Thailand?

No, because that is not the point you were making. You were trying to say that the average college education in Thailand is the same as a high school education in the West. You wrote, "If they manage to get more schooling until say 22 then it would equate at best to a western kid just out of high school." My point without any qualifications is that not true; the exceptions being the nonsense degrees like marketing and advertising and business administration the same foolishness that exists in the West.

No, because that is not the point you were making. You were trying to say that the average college education in Thailand is the same as a high school education in the West. You wrote, "If they manage to get more schooling until say 22 then it would equate at best to a western kid just out of high school." My point without any qualifications is that not true; the exceptions being the nonsense degrees like marketing and advertising and business administration the same foolishness that exists in the West.

My grandmother (fathers side) died when she was 100 yo. If I said to you (without qualifications) that women live until 100 you would laugh at me.

Pim goes to the ST room 2 times a day/ 6 days a week, and makes 2,500 baht each time. She also earns 40 baht per lady drink and she sells 10 per day/6 days per week. Her apartment costs 5,000 baht/month, and she blows 30,000 baht on random garbage she doesn't need. She also sends her mother 10,000 baht each month to pay down her gambling debt, and she gives her Thai BF 20,000 baht per month for his motorcycle payment and drinking tab. How much money will Pim's farang BF have to send via Western Union each month so Pim can quit work at the bar so she can maintain her lifestyle and save enough extra to buy a new house in Surin?

See? They are good at math.

That was a fun quiz. Can you post some more of them?

Well when the Science Minister himself managed to convince the population (not forgetting some on TV as well!), that he could expedite the flow of water from a raging river by sticking boats in it and turning the engines on, we have the answer really! It makes the achievement by the youngsters who won the medals all the more amazing and praiseworthy.

I am sorry,he convinced nobody,because he never tried to do it.

My grandmother (fathers side) died when she was 100 yo. If I said to you (without qualifications) that women live until 100 you would laugh at me.

So, if you don't think Thai people with a college education are equivalent to a Western High School education why did you write, "If they manage to get more schooling until say 22 then it would equate at best to a western kid just out of high school?"

So, if you don't think Thai people with a college education are equivalent to a Western High School education why did you write, "If they manage to get more schooling until say 22 then it would equate at best to a western kid just out of high school?"

I'm pointing out a flaw in saying that a good cardiologist shows average high education levels.I stand by what I said no question.

I'm pointing out a flaw in saying that a good cardiologist shows average high education levels.I stand by what I said no question.

Forget about the Cardiologist. Engineers, any kind of MD, Dentists, Operating room and emergency room nurses, Airline pilots, college professor of physics, chemist, pharmacist and on and on. All these you are saying, "If they manage to get more schooling until say 22 then it would equate at best to a western kid just out of high school?" Your statement is not accurate. It may be true of a small minority but certainly no where near the majority.

Thai education may not be as good as the West but it is nowhere close to being able to interchange high school graduates in the West for college graduates in Thailand. To imply that in any way shape or form is not accurate. My god man read some of the posters on Thai Visa!! The great majority did not go to school in Thailand.smile.png

Edited by chiangmaikelly

Forget about the Cardiologist. Engineers, any kind of MD, Dentists, Operating room and emergency room nurses, Airline pilots, college professor of physics, chemist, pharmacist and on and on. All these you are saying, "If they manage to get more schooling until say 22 then it would equate at best to a western kid just out of high school?" Your statement is not accurate. It may be true of a small minority but certainly no where near the majority.

It would be the average

My god man read some of the posters on Thai Visa!! The great majority did not go to school in Thailand.smile.png

I question if many even went to school at all so it would not be fair to compare.

In Thailand young people have the opportunity to start studying medical subjects two years earlier than most schools in the US. I think this is a good idea. In general the doctors and dentists I have met and worked with in Thailand have been good or better than good. Some have been educated 100% in Thailand and lot did some study in the West. Pharmacists have been good to willing to take the time to talk.

Having thousands of employees over the years frankly all I ever wanted was someone who showed up every day. Any problems they had I could deal with.

Funny post, pointless but still funny. Soldier: My gun is jammed and people are on their way to kill me! Unjam it then... I don't know how because all I was told is how to shoot it.

In Thailand young people have the opportunity to start studying medical subjects two years earlier than most schools in the US. I think this is a good idea. In general the doctors and dentists I have met and worked with in Thailand have been good or better than good. Some have been educated 100% in Thailand and lot did some study in the West. Pharmacists have been good to willing to take the time to talk.

That's good to know. I don't let Thai doctors anywhere near me and fly back to the UK or NZ for treatment but perhaps I should show a little trust.

Why does everybody need a high end education anyways? Society only needs so many engineers and scientists and most of the jobs out there don't require any math or science knowledge at all.

Looks good in statistics?

Do you know, how many bachelor degrees end up in a waiter job, in restaurants? Or room maid in a hotel?

Most time, you need to study, to have the chance, to pick up some English. Over the years.

Some hotels ask for a degree, for this positions. To me, the only two reason are:

1. with tip and service charge, the pay is over average.

So why not take university people, instead of the poor, who can't even afford, to go to university.

2.They proved, all the years, that they can hang on to a 'job', for a while.

And you know, how Thailand value some degrees?

In case, they study 'tourism industry', they are a licensed tour guides, with the bachelor.

So they have to get more salary, than the 'uneducated' folks. For the same work.

Do you want tour guides, with no experience, but high salary

Neither do the tour companies

A series of off-topic, argumentative posts and replies have been deleted. Thailand, like many countries with problems in the education system, is still quite able to produce high quality professionals.

The article is not about 'All' students. I work at a school where the students do very well in mathematics. The school stresses math and both the foreign and Thai teachers hired to teach math are good teachers in the subject. They meet weekly to make sure they are coordinating their teaching. Unfortunately, the same effort is not put into science.

Oh, and my Cardiac surgeon, who is Thai Educated, managed to slice and dice me and then put me back together and get everything working like a charm. In addition, he managed to stitch me from ankle to neck with extreme neatness, so maybe, just maybe, those years of being told to write neatly and beautifully paid off a little and I won't walk around looking like a CSI cadaver.

Please stay on the topic.

Pim goes to the ST room 2 times a day/ 6 days a week, and makes 2,500 baht each time. She also earns 40 baht per lady drink and she sells 10 per day/6 days per week. Her apartment costs 5,000 baht/month, and she blows 30,000 baht on random garbage she doesn't need. She also sends her mother 10,000 baht each month to pay down her gambling debt, and she gives her Thai BF 20,000 baht per month for his motorcycle payment and drinking tab. How much money will Pim's farang BF have to send via Western Union each month so Pim can quit work at the bar so she can maintain her lifestyle and save enough extra to buy a new house in Surin?

See? They are good at math.

That was a fun quiz. Can you post some more of them?

Sure...

Nok is a top earner at the gogo on Soi cowboy. She averages 25 ST customers per month at 2,500 each, and another 15 LT customers at 4,000 each. She has is only 21 years old and is making "Big money". One day, a young lonely farang enters the bar and falls in love with her. He offers her 10,000 baht to go with him to Koh Chang for a week. Even though she will lose money, she decides to go, thinking that he will send her money again every month when he goes back home and he will become a "sponsor". The young man is not rich, but she tells her friends that he is. He doesn't want her to work at the bar anymore so he offers to take care of her. But he can only send her 20,000 baht/month. Far less than she currently earns. But since there is high status for a bargirl to stop work by "farang who take care" she decides to quit the bar. problem is, she is not making enough money as she was before. She Skypes with her BF every night when he goes home, but her cel phone is ringing like crazy every day with old customers that happen to be in town. She agrees to meet them at their hotel at an hour where she knows her farang BF will be asleep in his home country. If each of the old customers gives her 3,000 baht to shag her in a hotel, how many times per month will Nok have to cheat on her BF in order to make up for the lack of money he is sending her?