23 Million Foreign Tourist Arrivals In Thailand In 2013

webfact

I don't think I mentioned where I worked for Holiday Inns or Hilton. But I do know what you did at 21 had nothing to do with the hospitality industry or tourism.smile.png

but on another thread you said you have been in Thailand for over 40 years and on this thread also said you ran successful business in 1968, hard to keep up with the lies huh?rolleyes.gif

I am glad you now also have a crystal ball to know what i did at 21, considering you have no idea how old i am nowblink.png

Keep on trollingthumbsup.gif

No you read it wrong. I said I was first in Thailand 40 years ago. I worked for the US Army in Thailand 40 years ago. I managed a successful business for the US Army that employed Thais.

right and was also a protege of Kemmons Wilson and Before 30 ran the 5th most profitable Holiday Inn in the World and owned a steak house in a small Texas town and worked for Hilton was it all at the same time? or with a few months intervals?

But anyhow, all that is irrelevant, i believe your post history speaks for itself when it comes to credibility and facts

There are NO 23 million tourists and this numbers are nothing but a fake propaganda or possibly bad maths or accounting

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think I mentioned where I worked for Holiday Inns or Hilton. But I do know what you did at 21 had nothing to do with the hospitality industry or tourism.smile.png

but on another thread you said you have been in Thailand for over 40 years and on this thread also said you ran successful business in 1968, hard to keep up with the lies huh?rolleyes.gif

I am glad you now also have a crystal ball to know what i did at 21, considering you have no idea how old i am nowblink.png

Keep on trollingthumbsup.gif

No you read it wrong. I said I was first in Thailand 40 years ago. I worked for the US Army in Thailand 40 years ago. I managed a successful business for the US Army that employed Thais.

right and was also a protege of Kemmons Wilson and Before 30 ran the 5th most profitable Holiday Inn in the World and owned a steak house in a small Texas town and worked for Hilton was it all at the same time? or with a few months intervals?

But anyhow, all that is irrelevant, i believe your post history speaks for itself when it comes to credibility and facts

There are NO 23 million tourists and this numbers are nothing but a fake propaganda or possibly bad maths or accounting

My work career has spanned 50 years and a number of different countries including Thailand, USA, Canada, China and more but I don't want to bore you. I was a troubleshooter for Holiday Inns. I'd show up incognito and do an inspection of the property and then make recommendations about a remodel or tear the place down or sell it. Looking at tourist numbers and market conditions was an important part of my job. I did kind of the same thing for a steak house chain but my job was to open new restaurants, hire the staff and do the initial marketing and advertising to get the place open profitably. The steak house has a special opening team as it was a time of expansion and we were opening one every other month for a couple of years.

The last hospitality job I did in Thailand was a large hotel in Pattaya.

Edited by chiangmaikelly

My work career has spanned 50 years and a number of different countries including Thailand, USA, Canada, China and more but I don't want to bore you. I was a troubleshooter for Holiday Inns. I'd show up incognito and do an inspection of the property and then make recommendations about a remodel or tear the place down or sell it. Looking at tourist numbers and market conditions was an important part of my job. I did kind of the same thing for a steak house chain but my job was to open new restaurants, hire the staff and do the initial marketing and advertising to get the place open profitably. The steak house has a special opening team as it was a time of expansion and we were opening one every other month for a couple of years.

stop trolling already, this thread is NOT about your career nor it is about how great you were or are!

Hotels cannot go to airport and grab people off the plane, nor can hotels go over to another country and start flying people over nor can hotel go to another hotel and start stealing people from there.

The only thing hotel can do is offer specials, but if there are no people around, no matter how much specials you offer, it will not increase the number of people coming into the country.

Yes hotel can remodel and turn into thai style 2000 baht/month rooms, which is not going to bring any more money in, just break even if lucky

Edited by lemoncake

stop trolling already, this thread is NOT about your career nor it is about how great you were or are!

Hotels cannot go to airport and grab people off the plane, nor can hotels go over to another country and start flying people over nor can hotel go to another hotel and start stealing people from there.

The only thing hotel can do is offer specials, but if there are no people around, no matter how much specials you offer, it will not increase the number of people coming into the country.

Yes hotel can remodel and turn into thai style 2000 baht/month rooms, which is not going to bring any more money in, just break even if lucky

Me, stop trolling? Do you think I am conversing in a vacuum? Sure you can pick people up at the airport. Sure you can steal people from other hotels. Sure you can advertise in other countries. Thais do it all the time.smile.png

It really makes little difference if 23 or 22 or 20 million people come in. The point is there are lots of tourists coming into Thailand and many hotels are doing very well.

Me, stop trolling? Do you think I am conversing in a vacuum? Sure you can pick people up at the airport. Sure you can steal people from other hotels. Sure you can advertise in other countries. Thais do it all the time.smile.png

It really makes little difference if 23 or 22 or 20 million people come in. The point is there are lots of tourists coming into Thailand and many hotels are doing very well.

really? many hotels doing well?., name them please with proof that they are doing well and achieving maximum occupancy, in Thailand this year, not on another planet 40 years ago

PS. Someone with your DEEP knowledge of the industry should be, well at least i hope so be aware that most if not all people have pre-bookings prior to arrival and in many cases already paid in full, just as people living in other hotels have already paid for their stay

Edited by lemoncake

really? many hotels doing well?., name them please with proof that they are doing well and achieving maximum occupancy, in Thailand this year, not on another planet 40 years ago

PS. Someone with your DEEP knowledge of the industry should be, well at least i hope so be aware that most if not all people have pre-bookings prior to arrival and in many cases already paid in full, just as people living in other hotels have already paid for their stay

I would but you don't believe the numbers, so what is the point. GDP is up across the board the SET is up what is 34% or something like that. Sound like bad times to you? S&P is happy with Thailand and predicts good things.smile.png

If there are not enough people in your hotel go out and get them. It's not rocket science. The only rays of gloom and doom anyone hears about the Thai economy are from Thai Visa and the opposition newspapers. S&P and Bloomberg are not among the doomsayers because they have no vested interested in Thailand failing.

I managed a very successful business in Thailand with over 200 employees in 1968smile.png . But like I said I would not try and give you any information.

Bit of a com-down then ,40 years on and you find it necessary to spend most of your waking hours ,spouting on TV to people who are clearly not worthy of your attention . You should be enjoying the many fruits of your labour ,not wasting your precious ,expensive time trying to be pompous and continually win petty arguments . Give yourself a holiday , lighten up ,you deserve it !

I managed a very successful business in Thailand with over 200 employees in 1968smile.png . But like I said I would not try and give you any information.

Bit of a com-down then ,40 years on and you find it necessary to spend most of your waking hours ,spouting on TV to people who are clearly not worthy of your attention . You should be enjoying the many fruits of your labour ,not wasting your precious ,expensive time trying to be pompous and continually win petty arguments . Give yourself a holiday , lighten up ,you deserve it !

I can't leave the house. Sorry I would if I could. I guess I should post some photos as they are doing a really nice job but sorry I'm stuck here.

Oh sigh.

Folks, CMK and Nisa are actually spot on. You may not agree and that's fine however I do this for a living in the airline sector and work very closely with the TAT, hoteliers in Thailand and all across Asia. What is reported is as good as it's going to get for any TB/CVB.

I have no issue with the data -+10%.

• Like 1

Oh sigh.

Folks, CMK and Nisa are actually spot on. You may not agree and that's fine however I do this for a living in the airline sector and work very closely with the TAT, hoteliers in Thailand and all across Asia. What is reported is as good as it's going to get for any TB/CVB.

Oh sigh.

Phew ! Now we can all relax !

Oh sigh.

It is one thing to question the exact accuracy of numbers given all the variables and +/- 10% is probably spot on but what really is bizzare is to see people put forth the notion that tourism is on a decline as opposed to on the rise. I believe somebody has to go way out of their way to believe such a conspiracy.

• Like 2

Interesting graph that has been posted here a number of times from http://www.thaiwebsi...com/tourism.asp

statistics2011.gif

Interesting to point out that in the last 10-years there has been 4 years where Thailand has saw (and had no issue with reporting) a decrease in the number of international arrivals.

I am never good at this stuff, but sure you can enlighten me: as far as I see, SARS and the Tsunami had little to no effect on the tourism numbers...and it basically is uphill all the way, with even the big recession...

• Like 1

I am never good at this stuff, but sure you can enlighten me: as far as I see, SARS and the Tsunami had little to no effect on the tourism numbers...and it basically is uphill all the way, with even the big recession...

Interesting graph that has been posted here a number of times from http://www.thaiwebsi...com/tourism.asp

statistics2011.gif

Interesting to point out that in the last 10-years there has been 4 years where Thailand has saw (and had no issue with reporting) a decrease in the number of international arrivals.

Are so bad at this that you don't see the number that is lower than the previous number after the SARS icon?????

Yes tourism is trending up for a long time in Thailand ... not so different than a lot of other Asian counties but in the last decade there has been 4 years that TAT says there has been declines.

Edit: One thing to consider is these are yearly numbers and that the events marked on the graph don't always fall on January 1st and are not pre-planned events. So, the numbers go down AFTER the incidents and not before or during and just because there are less visitors because of an incident certainly doesn't mean there will be less visitors from the previous year.

Edited by Nisa

If anyone has actual facts to disprove the data please feel free to post, I would be more than happy to be a social gadfly with the TAT & others in the New Year.

The numbers have increased for the last 10 years, the new markets China, Korea, Russia are filling in the gaps.

If you've read the AOT figures for Feb-Jun, OTA pre-bookings, Pegasus forecast, Galileo/Sabre/Amadeus/Abacus system reports, PATA from October, BSP ticketed figures from zone 2 & 3 to Thailand, Zone 1 to Thailand is a moving target because of last minute bookings, SKAL MOU, WTM Annual report on Thailand and let's see what else.........toss in IMPACTS biz plan for 2013 with projected numbers. All of that will give you a pretty good idea of the market.

I'm confident the numbers will be fairly close, since I'm vested in the industry I do care & am open to learn from experts on TV.

• Like 2

If anyone has actual facts to disprove the data please feel free to post, I would be more than happy to be a social gadfly with the TAT & others in the New Year.

The numbers have increased for the last 10 years, the new markets China, Korea, Russia are filling in the gaps.

If you've read the AOT figures for Feb-Jun, OTA pre-bookings, Pegasus forecast, Galileo/Sabre/Amadeus/Abacus system reports, PATA from October, BSP ticketed figures from zone 2 & 3 to Thailand, Zone 1 to Thailand is a moving target because of last minute bookings, SKAL MOU, WTM Annual report on Thailand and let's see what else.........toss in IMPACTS biz plan for 2013 with projected numbers. All of that will give you a pretty good idea of the market.

I'm confident the numbers will be fairly close, since I'm vested in the industry I do care & am open to learn from experts on TV.

No one is disputing that numbers have increased in the past 10 years , however it is NOT 23 million and it is not more from last year or year before this year. Sure this year is more than same time 10 years ago, but this is not what has been discussed

statistics2011.gif

Are so bad at this that you don't see the number that is lower than the previous number after the SARS icon?????

Yes tourism is trending up for a long time in Thailand ... not so different than a lot of other Asian counties but in the last decade there has been 4 years that TAT says there has been declines.

Edit: One thing to consider is these are yearly numbers and that the events marked on the graph don't always fall on January 1st and are not pre-planned events. So, the numbers go down AFTER the incidents and not before or during and just because there are less visitors because of an incident certainly doesn't mean there will be less visitors from the previous year.

okay...800.000 tourists less during and after SARS!

The WHOLE 800k lees!!!

I rest my case!

I would but you don't believe the numbers, so what is the point. GDP is up across the board the SET is up what is 34% or something like that. Sound like bad times to you? S&P is happy with Thailand and predicts good things.smile.png

If there are not enough people in your hotel go out and get them. It's not rocket science. The only rays of gloom and doom anyone hears about the Thai economy are from Thai Visa and the opposition newspapers. S&P and Bloomberg are not among the doomsayers because they have no vested interested in Thailand failing.

What does GDP and SET have to do with hotel doing well.?

Tourism is only 6 % of GDP which is a tiny %, furthermore if fewer tourists spent more money it will not have any affect on GDP .

But please provide names of hotels who are doing very well, at maximum occupancy.

I know that this may come as a shock for some of you contintental volk, but Thailand isn't dependent upon the EU for tourists. China's economy still is putting a lot of cash into the hands of the middle class and they are easily filling the spots vacated by the europeans. US economy is coming back, Australia and Canada benefit from solid economies, Scandanavia is doing fine and the middle class of India have rupees burning a hole in their pockets. The Russians also have money to throw around that makes the Europeans feel even more insignificant.

Well take away all the euros and they'd certainly feel it. If there are less euro arrivals, it is more a case of them holidaying their own shores; the beaches and resorts of Spain and France are much more of a tempter... and this is where the moneyed crowd holiday, too. They just don't come here. Just because the economies are down doesn't translate to people having less money either; almost everyone I know has never been so well off. The extra arrivals is all about the rise of China through churning out plastic crap for the past 20 years, but as has been pointed out, they typically stick to tours and don't benefit many.

By the by, Scandinavia is still in Europe, the US's economy is only just starting to turn (which doesn't translate to the masses instantly heading for a holiday), and as for feeling insignificant to Ruskies and Aussies, do me a favour. cheesy.gif

On the tourist count, it is complete tosh. They are clearly counting in-transit folk and whatever else. The real tourist number is around 15 million.

Some comparisons on arrivals for some other countries, with easy to find data, in the region by year.

Vietnam

2011 - Increase 19%

2010 - Increase 35%

2009 - Decrease 11%

2008 - Increase 0.6%

2007 - Increase 16%

Singapore

2011 - - Increase 13%

2010 - - Increase 20%

2009 - - Decrease 4%

2008 - - Decrease 2%

2007 - - Increase 6%

Laos

2011 - - ?

2010 - - Increase 25%

2009 - - Increase 16%

2008 - - Increase 7%

2007 - - Increase 34%

Thailand

2011 - - Increase 20%

2010 - - Increase 13%

2009 - - Decrease 3%

2008 - - Increase 5%

2007 - - Increase 34%

Tourism is only 6 % of GDP which is a tiny %, furthermore if fewer tourists spent more money it will not have any affect on GDP .

Six per cent doesn't sound much but it is a massive amount, and that is direct revenue not accounting for the monies filtering down. The UK is one of the most visited countries where tourism only accounts for something like 1 or 2% of GDP, but even that little ratio is classed as being vital for the UK economy.

But please provide names of hotels who are doing very well, at maximum occupancy.

Tourism is actually 7.1 % 2011 and should reach 8.5% 2012

Occupancy doesn't mean the hotel is profitable - look around at the mega brands in BKK do you think investors would build a Kempinski to toss money into the wind ?

okay...800.000 tourists less during and after SARS!

The WHOLE 800k lees!!!

I rest my case!

A 9%+ drop when the previous years were seeing 10+ rise in tourism. That is about a 20% drop from what should have been seen.

For comparison... Vietnam saw less than an 8% drop during this time. Laos saw a drop of 13.5 % and Singapore a drop of 19%.

FYI - I believe there were 2 suspected deaths from SARS in Thailand while Singapore had 33, Canada had 43 and China 685. (http://www.globalhea...map.aspx?ind=35)

Edited by Nisa

Six per cent doesn't sound much but it is a massive amount, and that is direct revenue not accounting for the monies filtering down. The UK is one of the most visited countries where tourism only accounts for something like 1 or 2% of GDP, but even that little ratio is classed as being vital for the UK economy.

To help put this in even more perspective ... In 2008 agriculture, forestry, and fishing contributed only 8.4% percent to GDP

On the tourist count, it is complete tosh. They are clearly counting in-transit folk and whatever else. The real tourist number is around 15 million.

You suspect that that 5 to 8 million people (about 50%) of international visitors at the airport are actually people with connecting flights but for some reason decide to go through the immigration lines at the airport only to have to re-enter security and immigration lines? What would be the purpose of so many folks doing this when smoking is available in the airport and all the shops are located within the international area? Do this many people really book flights on separate itineraries causing them to have to go out and recheck their bags?

I am not saying the numbers are perfect but just don't believe they are that far off and if somebody passes through immigration then they should be counted as a visitor and would guess just about every other country defines visitors the same way.

Edited by Nisa

You suspect that that 5 to 8 million people (about 50%) of international visitors at the airport are actually people with connecting flights but for some reason decide to go through the immigration lines at the airport only to have to re-enter security and immigration lines? What would be the purpose of so many folks doing this when smoking is available in the airport and all the shops are located within the international area? Do this many people really book flights on separate itineraries causing them to have to go out and recheck their bags?

I am not saying the numbers are perfect but just don't believe they are that far off and if somebody passes through immigration then they should be counted as a visitor and would guess just about every other country defines visitors the same way.

do tell me where and how they do the numbers with evidence of course, since you love to post links

So...... do they count at immigration desk? or do they use plane manifest? or perhaps at the toll booth?

BKK being a stop over for a huge number of flights, you do not think contributes to that "great" number of tourists?

BKK being one of 3 airports to change for a flight to Cambodia, is not part of that count?

After all, government released the figures so it must be true, just as government said there will be no more poor people,

Last year,they sent some senior group of ministers to see Pattaya and investigate the claims of prostitution. After a thorough investigation they concluded and released a report that there is no prostitution or even signs of it in Pattaya, well i guess they were right

All of it must be true, because government agency released a report?blink.png

Tourism is actually 7.1 % 2011 and should reach 8.5% 2012

Occupancy doesn't mean the hotel is profitable - look around at the mega brands in BKK do you think investors would build a Kempinski to toss money into the wind ?

Do you think Kempinski looks at this years numbers? or do you think they plan for the future?

Do you also think they build hotels around the world with a mindset that each one will make huge profits? or do they spread the brand name around being well aware that some may be more profitable than the others?

What do you mean occupancy does not mean profit?blink.png what does occupancy mean?

The % of GDP is money received from tourism, that does not directly mean more tourists , it means how much money tourists spend while in the country.

if 10 cheap charlies spend $1000 it could be equivalent to 1 or 2 big spenders., not to mention rising prices which means more money being spent, ie higher % of GDP