'apartment Finder' Service

BoonToong

Hi Folks.

Tomorrow I'm returning to Thailand after about 8 months away. My wife and I are staying in a hotel for a couple of weeks whilst we look for an apartment to move into in the Jomtien area.

When I lived in Bangkok a couple of years back, there was a guy who, for a fee, would take you around and help you find the right apartment. Because he was always 'active', he knew the best areas, condo management reputations, prices etc.

Does anyone on this forum know of a similar service for Jomtien/Pattaya area please?

Thanks in advance.

"When I lived in Bangkok a couple of years back, there was a guy who, for a fee, would take you around and help you find the right apartment. Because he was always 'active', he knew the best areas, condo management reputations, prices etc."

Isn't this what agents are supposed to do for their commission?

If I came across a someone doing something like that in Pattaya I would be wondering what sort of deal he had negotiated with the agents and owners to bump the price up and get extra commission on top of his fee.

If he was a farang I'd also be wondering if he had a work permit.

"When I lived in Bangkok a couple of years back, there was a guy who, for a fee, would take you around and help you find the right apartment. Because he was always 'active', he knew the best areas, condo management reputations, prices etc."

If I came across a someone doing something like that in Pattaya I would be wondering what sort of deal he had negotiated with the agents and owners to bump the price up and get extra commission on top of his fee.

Thank you very much for your useful information clap2.gif

This advice may be a day late and a $ short, since you've probably been there 2 days now...but for what it's worth.

Best ways I've found to find apartments in Jomtien & Pattaya (some of these have been mentioned):

-Craigslist

-Pattaya Trader

-Baht Sold

The lobbies of the particular building you want to rent a condo at should have a bulletin board.

If you're comfortable riding a motorbike you can hit a ton of spots in half a day, and have a place secured in about 2-3 days. Next best option hire a motorbike taxi or song thaew.

I avoid booking over the internet because you never know how the place will look in person and usually you don't get as good of a deal. The longer the lease the cheaper the rent, or at least it should be.

Lastly, don't forget to ask how much they charge per kilowatt of power, some places double up here and it can really ad up each month. You'll want to be around 3 baht/KWh roughly, and not 7-8 baht/KWh.

I hope this helps.

Edited by Teerak2

Hey guys, thanks also for the last 3 posts.

No, not too late; we were so knackered from travelling that we spent the first 48 hours just chilling. We're now in a hotel in Soi 6, motorbike rented, and today going to actually visit the condos themselves. Like some of you, I think the best bet is to look in the condo lobbies but I will try the other sites/publications too.

My only concern (dunno if I am over-reacting) are stories of some ethnic groups being particularly noisy/rude/obnoxious etc etc. Are there any condos that are particularly bad (or otherwise) for this? We just want a reasonably quiet, peaceful existence.

Thanks again guys; some TV members proving that TV can be a great community thumbsup.gif

In addition to checking bulletin boards in condo building lobbies, chat up and be friendly with the folks at the front desk, if there is one. They usually have a good idea of what's happening in the building, and who has what for offer. A savvy owner with a unit available for rent would offer them a few thousand baht for any referrals -- that's a lot cheaper than using a "realtor."

UPDATE

Whilst working with a couple of local agents, looking at the condos ourselves, speaking with some residents and following most of the methods suggested above, the consensus of opinion is that it is crazy time in Pattaya. One of the agents says he has not seen anything like it before; apartments are just filling almost as quickly as they come on the market, and for silly prices too.

So, we have decided to rent in Bangkok until we get to quiet season again. Then we'll review it.

Thanks again for all of the useful suggestions above.

Who would really care if he had a work permit or not? Do you go around asking all foreigners working here if they have work permits?

If he was doing a good job it would be worth the fee. Should people be doing this for free>?

Finding the right place in Pattaya is not easy if you have stringent requirements and it can be very time consuming. Dealing with one guy who knows the area well is not a bad thing.

• Like 1

Lastly, don't forget to ask how much they charge per kilowatt of power, some places double up here and it can really ad up each month. You'll want to be around 3 baht/KWh roughly, and not 7-8 baht/KWh.

When did you last look at your power bill? Last year I was averaging about 3.8 baht per KWh, but now it's well over 4. It has gone up quite a bit.

UPDATE

Whilst working with a couple of local agents, looking at the condos ourselves, speaking with some residents and following most of the methods suggested above, the consensus of opinion is that it is crazy time in Pattaya. One of the agents says he has not seen anything like it before; apartments are just filling almost as quickly as they come on the market, and for silly prices too.

So, we have decided to rent in Bangkok until we get to quiet season again. Then we'll review it.

Thanks again for all of the useful suggestions above.

It was the same from October on in the Pratumnak Hill area last year. Hard to find anything at all and high prices.

Despite all the forecasted doom 'n gloom, it's looks like it's an owner's market in Central Pattaya.

Edited by tropo

Who would really care if he had a work permit or not?

"Care" isn't the word. "Be curious about" is about right.

If he was doing a good job it would be worth the fee. Should people be doing this for free>?

My objection was that many such people in Pattaya would be charging a fee and doing sneaky deals to get extra commission behind the tenant's back. Many people are crooked here.

Despite all the forecasted doom 'n gloom, it's looks like it's an owner's market in Central Pattaya.

It always is for the few weeks around Xmas/New Year. It's the other 11 months that really matter though.

It's more than a few weeks in my neck of the woods - it's probably more like 6 months if not all year. The place is sold out by October and it's getting worse every year. The Russians are filling the place up and paying good money - which is going to force my own rent higher sooner or later.

Who would really care if he had a work permit or not?

"Care" isn't the word. "Be curious about" is about right.

My objection was that many such people in Pattaya would be charging a fee and doing sneaky deals to get extra commission behind the tenant's back. Many people are crooked here.

You only have to be concerned about the value for money on the property you're looking to rent. If it is too high then walk away.

Sometimes you can re-negotiate with the landlord after the first term of contract. Mostly the landlord will absorb the agent's fee.

A good agent can find places you'll not find on your own. They serve a purpose. I don't see why some of you feel they should be doing their job for nothing.

A good agent can find places you'll not find on your own. They serve a purpose. I don't see why some of you feel they should be doing their job for nothing.

If you re-read my original post you will see that I asked if this wasnt what an agent would normally do. The OP seemed to me to be looking for a third party to act as go-between for him and the agent/owner. And this is what I have my doubts about, especially here. Maybe he meant something else.

It's more than a few weeks in my neck of the woods - it's probably more like 6 months if not all year. The place is sold out by October and it's getting worse every year. The Russians are filling the place up and paying good money - which is going to force my own rent higher sooner or later.

I wouldnt worry to much. There must be 20,000 units being built on Pratumnak, if not more. My guess is that your rent will drop before it rises.

If you re-read my original post you will see that I asked if this wasnt what an agent would normally do. The OP seemed to me to be looking for a third party to act as go-between for him and the agent/owner. And this is what I have my doubts about, especially here. Maybe he meant something else.

Last time I was looking I did a bit of both. Looked around privately and used a few agents. I think that some of the better places are found through agents because the owners would rather not deal with people personally.

The Russians are filling the place up and paying good money - .....

Interestingly I was in an estate agent's office the other day and I happened to overhear the owner of a unit in VT5 who was putting the unit up for rent and sale (she had no tenant at peak high season for a nice unit in a good building, which is in itself quite enlightening) and she was saying something along the lines of "Dont bother sending me Russian tenants, they never want to pay more than 10K."

She was asking 25K for her studio which I suppose might be achievable over Xmas/New Year (though in her case, apparently not) but if I was taking it for a year I wouldn't go above 11-12K max. Plenty of other units available there, and it seems that the Russians know it.

The Russians are filling the place up and paying good money - .....

Interestingly I was in an estate agent's office the other day and I happened to overhear the owner of a unit in VT5 who was putting the unit up for rent and sale (she had no tenant at peak high season for a nice unit in a good building, which is in itself quite enlightening) and she was saying something along the lines of "Dont bother sending me Russian tenants, they never want to pay more than 10K."

She was asking 25K for her studio which I suppose might be achievable over Xmas/New Year (though in her case, apparently not) but if I was taking it for a year I wouldn't go above 11-12K max. Plenty of other units available there, and it seems that the Russians know it.

It's no wonder she wasn't getting tenants for a studio at 25K. That's a bit extreme - about 10K too extreme.

This is what I meant (from the OP):

"When I lived in Bangkok a couple of years back, there was a guy who, for a fee, would take you around and help you find the right apartment. Because he was always 'active', he knew the best areas, condo management reputations, prices etc"

Despite all the debate above, I still do not have an issue for paying for someone to provide me with this service. From what I recall, the guy had contacts with many owners and agents alike. If he shows me around several places that fit my requirements, I still have a choice to negotiate a good deal.

Why is this becoming so complicated?

Why is this becoming so complicated?

I wasn't aware that it was becoming complicated. It all seems very straightforward to me.

All I'm saying is that in Pattaya, a person doing something like this would probably be getting commission on top of whatever he is being paid. And the more commission there is the less likely you are to get a good deal or indeed even find the best places, as you will probably be directed more towards the places/agents that offer the most commission.

People involved in real estate in Pattaya are generally not very honest and are not usually blessed with much in the way of morals. So I simply suggest that it would be an error to imagine that they are on your side.

Maybe I'm wrong and maybe you will only find paragons of virtue working in Pattaya real estate. I wish you good luck, either way.

• Like 1