Confused About Where To Live

beachguy

There are lots of nice beach communities in phuket that are the size you are looking for and not expensive. Not patong obviously, but you may want to base yourself there as you travel to the surrounding areas, since it has more amenities for the visting traveler. Dont catch aids while you are there.

Many real estate agencies are online and explain the different communities, you can even map out properties before you arrive via online listings, agents even drive you around for free. Good way to get a feel for the area, even a guide that knows everything. What more can you ask for?

I wont get into explaining to you whats there. Why? Because its not my decision and what I like wont be the same as what you need.

Wow you guys are really great so much information yet so much to consider..

is it possible to have a vote?

Based on my criteria a beach is important

so keeping that in mind as safeguard i wish I could visit

all these places but I do have to stick close to my landline

I have been to Pattaya once I like the food and I felt

it was easier to meet other foreigners from different places

but I got this pay me for sex vibe going on type of feel

that really sickened me. It seems to have everything else

I want but is it worth living there with the sense of unease?

Is there a place close to Pattaya that I can escape all that?

I don't have a motor bike yet and I rather avoid those things

although I drove one in China & Taiwan I feel safer in a taxi.

I don't want to be a stones throw away in a sense that

if I just hop onto this or that I will be there in 15 minutes..

I want to be there..I guess I am dreaming.

sriracha just 25 minutes from pattaya, 30 minutes to bang san have theatres here and good night life , great place

he he he he he

I'm still laughing at how anyone is going to defend Pattaya after that. At least he doen't know about the impossible traffic, pollution, flooding, corruption, murders oh ..................... and of course our favourite past time of suicide by jumping.

er .................... Pattaya does have bowling.

Maybe it's back on the bucket list?

How about Hatyai ? Half an hour drive to the beach in Songkhla . Plenty on night life in Hatyai , ask the Malysians what they come for then you will know.

As the other members suggested , see it for yourself and no need to make any hasty decision.

Koh Chang. Just opposite the rain capital of Thailand, Trad on the mainland. A serious downpour every other day to cool the bloody heat down. Good and budget accomodations, few people. Little pollution so far, great beaches, blue sea, lovely waterfalls, and natural scenery. Near Cambodia.

>snipped<

I don't have a motor bike yet and I rather avoid those things

although I drove one in China & Taiwan I feel safer in a taxi.

I don't want to be a stones throw away in a sense that

if I just hop onto this or that I will be there in 15 minutes..

>snipped<

Not having your own transportation will be severely limiting living anywhere else than Bangkok. Also, if you want a cinema showing movies with English soundtrack, you won't have too many places to choose from.

Sophon

Why not have a look at Penang Malaysia, Bali and The Philippines while you're at it? Does it have to be Thailand?

I was thinking about Malaysia bit because the islamic law is in effect

I don't want to get any girls into trouble as corny as it sounds, thy have really strict rules

on dating, but no it doesn't have to be Thailand.

I don't know how to thank you guys enough, you are all wonderful people and have been such a huge help and so supportive. I really wish I could meet all of you. To sit there and take the time to write to me take a special person thank you.

I have decided to check out Jomtien area. it seems more quiet and away from Pattaya, but yet still has many things I was looking for. As one of the members said there is no perfect place in Thailand it really is what you make of it. i may run into a bunch of whores, but best thing is to just be nice and polite and if they call me names like Handsome and stuff i'll just go about my own business and try to ignore them. I have been to South Korea, Japan Phils, Vietnam, Taiwan, Cambodia, China, Hong Kong, Macau, and ofcourse Thailand.

I have been to each place more than once except Vietnam. I got a bad vibe in Vietnam, and I saw many rats in Saigon. The expats were super cool and if you get to know them it seems like they would have your back.

All i got from Vietnam was a bad haircut and ditched from a hot actress after having my hand on her ass in a club half the night. What a beauty she was, she left in a taxi and I kissed her hand, outside the window. I still can't get her out of my mind, and something else too.

The best place for me was China. I hated the food and most expats in Guangzhou are super cold and aloof. That's one thing I always hated about China. You smile at people and they pretend you're not there...um..ok!

If you want women China is the place hands down. Women in numbers that is. (I'm just trying to give some helpful feedback) The Chinese are more interested in foreigners activities, even the way you blow your nose. Thai's don't give a hoot, so it seems but the Chinese do. If you go to a place called Chengdu you will see the most beautiful women you have ever seen in your life. These orientals really know how to keep it together. Their looks their skin etc..and they don't wear as much make up as the Thai's, yes the includes lady boys.

hey guys thank you, if anyone is in Jomtien let's have a cold one, and some lunch, I think that's going to be my new place.

I have been to Pattaya once . . .

that really sickened me.

Oh, NO! Did you encounter that? How very sickening indeed!

But maybe you could get used to it. Some have been known to have done so.

At least it's honest. smile.png

Edited by JSixpack

I have been to Pattaya once . . .

that really sickened me.

Oh, NO! Did you encounter that? How very sickening indeed!

But maybe you could get used to it. Some have been known to have done so.

At least it's honest. smile.png

Been there, done her, done that, wrote the book haven't yet sold it on Ebay.

if anyone is a writer contact me :) sixxxpack I admire your enthusiasm but I don't pay

for sex :) thanks for the idea. I know you haven't been to China. :)

Sounds like you haven't been to Bali so why not check that out great place. As for Penang Malaysia, it sounds like you've been duped by the media because that is a spectacular town with numerous non "Islamic" expats. That country welcomes all but 10 countries on visa exempt so how bad could it be. I forgot the 10 that require a proper visa. Lots of info in this thread, it probably will make it more "confusing about where to live"

Hi Guys,

I went to Jomtien and I have to give my review to save you some time and trouble.

I am just going to post what I saw without judging the people who go there because

everyone has a view point and a preference and I don't mean any disrespect to anyone

living there at the present time, I just wish I could get an honest opinion as the one i'm about

to post.

What I saw:

1) Russians everywhere, signs in Russian

2) Dirty Beach, streets, alleys everywhere I went I saw discarded garbage laying around

3) Dogs walking EVERYWHERE on the streets, barking at all hours, they looked like they came out of world war 1 and 2.

4) More Russians, Men who looked like pissed off bodybuilders, women that looked like unhappy &lt;deleted&gt; and their children were dressed like they wore the same clothes for months. The teenage girls do not speak English, and don't ask them for directions because they know nothing, and I have a feeling even if they did I would be the last one they would tell. Even if the place I was looking for was right in front of them and yes people are that much of an asshol_e.

5) Gangs of kids sitting around the beach at night, playing music from their cars at all hours,

6) The smell from food stalls and the pollution from the motorbikes made me sick that I could hardly breathe

7) There were gogo bars, lady boys sitting in front of massage parlors asking me if i wanted a massage

8) There were rows of bars on the main strip in Jomtien one after the other with gays hand in hand and pool tables in every bar and women smoking drinking and asking me if I want short time.

9) The main stores were over priced, suitcase shops, medical shops cigarette stores and bars and pubs, pool tables, the clothes in some of the shops looked second hand or donated.

10) The foreigners there looked like bloated pedophiles and regular jo blows that had no fashion sense and looked like they just came out of the hospital. Bruises, cuts, and they looked like they haven't showered in weeks.

11) The smell of booze was everywhere and men were drinking in the bars on the terrasses at 9 am talking with bar girls

If you stood in the middle of Jomtien and compared it with the Bronx or Harlem in New York I promise you Harlem would win hands down for cleanliness.

This is not an over exaggerated review this is what I saw with my own eyes, and I left somethings out.

I would not live there if I had a palace in front of the beach with my own pool and unrestricted view.

One more thing- Do not trust anything anybody says and do not leave your belongings anywhere not even

for a half a second, Thai men and foreigners will watch you to see if you leave something somewhere even the dogs!

Enjoy yourself because no money in the world can get me to live there.

Edited by beachguy

Hi Guys,

I went to Jomtien and I have to give my review to save you some time and trouble.

I am just going to post what I saw without judging the people who go there because

everyone has a view point and a preference and I don't mean any disrespect to anyone

living there at the present time, I just wish I could get an honest opinion as the one i'm about

to post.

What I saw:

2) Dirty Beach, streets, alleys everywhere I went I saw discarded garbage laying around

3) Dogs walking EVERYWHERE on the streets, barking at all hours, they looked like they came out of world war 1 and 2.

4) More Russians, Men who looked like pissed off bodybuilders, women that looked like unhappy &lt;deleted&gt; and their children were dressed like they wore the same clothes for months. The teenage girls do not speak English, and don't ask them for directions because they know nothing, and I have a feeling even if they did I would be the last one they would tell. Even if the place I was looking for was right in front of them and yes people are that much of an asshol_e.

5) Gangs of kids sitting around the beach at night, playing music from their cars at all hours,

6) The smell from food stalls and the pollution from the motorbikes made me sick that I could hardly breathe

7) There were gogo bars, lady boys sitting in front of massage parlors asking me if i wanted a massage

8) There were rows of bars on the main strip in Jomtien one after the other with gays hand in hand and pool tables in every bar and women smoking drinking and asking me if I want short time.

9) The main stores were over priced, suitcase shops, medical shops cigarette stores and bars and pubs, pool tables, the clothes in some of the shops looked second hand or donated.

10) The foreigners there looked like bloated pedophiles and regular jo blows that had no fashion sense and looked like they just came out of the hospital. Bruises, cuts, and they looked like they haven't showered in weeks.

11) The smell of booze was everywhere and men were drinking in the bars on the terrasses at 9 am talking with bar girls

If you stood in the middle of Jomtien and compared it with the Bronx or Harlem in New York I promise you Harlem would win hands down for cleanliness.

This is not an over exaggerated review this is what I saw with my own eyes, and I left somethings out.

I would not live there if I had a palace in front of the beach with my own pool and unrestricted view.

One more thing- Do not trust anything anybody says and do not leave your belongings anywhere not even

for a half a second, Thai men and foreigners will watch you to see if you leave something somewhere even the dogs!

You're right. Jomtien can be a bit boring.

but I don't pay

for sex smile.png thanks for the idea. I know you haven't been to China. smile.png

You don't pay for sex?

Then I assume you don't have sex. You will pay one way or another. I'd make dam_n sure you paid if you were with me.

• Like 2

but I don't pay

for sex smile.png thanks for the idea. I know you haven't been to China. smile.png

You don't pay for sex?

Then I assume you don't have sex. You will pay one way or another. I'd make dam_n sure you paid if you were with me.

Ok ic, if we roll I can find better ways for you to spend your money

believe me, If you like booze, bottles, and balling pm me. We can mack it

anytime. If you don't mind a 700 baht cover charge. Please tell me

you don't get laid for that price. You don't want to look like the jolly green giant.

Edited by beachguy

Hi Guys,

to post.

What I saw:

You're right. Jomtien can be a bit boring.

actually that was the icing on the cake I rather stay in Bangkok

i'm glad you agree clap2.gif

Don't go to Phuket, it's the crime capital of Thailand.

The beaches are all filthy and overun with Russian tourists.

All locals, and most expats, will rip you off in any transaction you try to do, and the mafia will rob you blind.

You will have a better than even chance of being murdered in your first year there.

Don't go to Phuket, I spent five minutes in Patong 15 years ago, and am an expert on the place.

And I ran away even before that Croc! I came there for the first time more than 30 years ago....PURE paradise..but long gone sad.png

That's why Kerrie and Donna ran away also and can't blame them; you have to admire them that they staid that long.

What about yourself? where do you go these days, coming from P?

Don't go to Phuket, it's the crime capital of Thailand.

The beaches are all filthy and overun with Russian tourists.

All locals, and most expats, will rip you off in any transaction you try to do, and the mafia will rob you blind.

You will have a better than even chance of being murdered in your first year there.

Don't go to Phuket, I spent five minutes in Patong 15 years ago, and am an expert on the place.

And I ran away even before that Croc! I came there for the first time more than 30 years ago....PURE paradise..but long gone sad.png

That's why Kerrie and Donna ran away also and can't blame them; you have to admire them that they staid that long.

What about yourself? where do you go these days, coming from P?

LP, haven't seen you on the board for some time! Good to see you still alive and kicking.tongue.png

I am actually living in Phuket these days, I have a nice little semi-rural place a fair way removed from most of the crap in the tourist areas of the Island.

There was a certain amount of sarcasm in that post of mine, directed at the idiots who condem a place without really knowing it.rolleyes.gif

Haven't heard much from Kerrie or Donna for some time, I think they have moved on and are happy living in other parts of the world.

What about yourself, where are you living now?

actually that was the icing on the cake I rather stay in Bangkok

I'm glad you agree clap2.gif

Go have a look in Chanthaburi, Chao Lao to Laem Singh. It will give you some hope to find a nice clean place.

Find the small beach on Ao Khrating, best on a weekday if you like quiet.

That area is not perfect but much much better then the sewer that is called pattaya and surroundings.