How Did You Choose Your Username?

andrew

Given to me many moons ago on my first job in Thailand. At the time spoke zero Thai, for some reason the girls in the office found it absolutely hilarious to call me Changnaam, maybe because I had no idea what it translated to.

Never had picked up a Chang beer and "at the time" was still in 32in jeans so heaven knows what they were suggesting.

Still no idea aside from the obvious but thought it would make a good name.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Given to me many moons ago on my first job in Thailand. At the time spoke zero Thai, for some reason the girls in the office found it absolutely hilarious to call me Changnaam, maybe because I had no idea what it translated to.

Never had picked up a Chang beer and "at the time" was still in 32in jeans so heaven knows what they were suggesting.

Elephant Water. Piss in other words. cheesy.gif

I love the last generation of sailing trade ships, the windjammer. This name was taken. The proudest of those vessel was the five-mast Preussen,' the queen of the queens of the oceans'. Nearly 150 metres long, speed 20 knots+. As fast as the Dreadnought or Titanic a decade later, and not propelled by filthy 50,000 hp engines. A shame the technology was abandoned. Preussen was taken also. Potosi was another ship of the 'P' fleet. It caught fire off the Patagonian coast, and an Argentine warship sunk her by gunfire in 1925.

That was interesting. I'm now an expert on Windjammers.

post-4945-0-85947200-1355815974_thumb.jp

Edited by andrew

Girlfriend always calls me it...especially when she needs something that usually costs a lot of money and then she pronounces it Teeeeelaaaak and follows it up with a "please" and those puppy dog eyes.

Nothing after it, and 1 were taken, so I ended up with Teerak2.

When I was still working back in Germany, I was sent over to our BKK- branch, to help to introduce our new booking- system to the colleagues here. The Thais were actually very polite, thanking me everytime I would even explain the samllest things and I always replied "mai pen rai khrup"! After some time, I thought I loosen up the situation a little and replied a "kor khun khrup" by " There's nothing the doctor can't fix!" which my European colleagues took up to call me Doc...N is just my first names initial...so DocN!

When I was still working back in Germany, I was sent over to our BKK- branch, to help to introduce our new booking- system to the colleagues here. The Thais were actually very polite, thanking me everytime I would even explain the samllest things and I always replied "mai pen rai khrup"! After some time, I thought I loosen up the situation a little and replied a "kor khun khrup" by " There's nothing the doctor can't fix!" which my European colleagues took up to call me Doc...N is just my first names initial...so DocN!

Nice one Nigel. smile.png

I bought something [here in Thailand] and the company decided I was then a 'VIP' customer. So they gave me a 'VIP customer' card with both first and last names spelled incorrectly. But I quite like the name 'Rockderk' they decided was my first name.

NO not piss.. elephant piss if you don't mind, slightly different whistling.gif

I guess I'm pretty boring. I just used my real name with some numbers behind it. I don't see much sense in hiding who I am.

I don't see much sense in hiding who I am.

Not sure we know more about you with this non-hiding-who-you-are username whistling.gif

• 4 weeks later...

Mine is a "derogatory" term, I and many others were called many years ago, but the literal translation means "salty d*ck", for those of you who know the language...yes I know its spelt wrong..the "peel" should be spelt "piel".....laugh.png

But in essense what it means that someone has one foot in one country and the other foot in another country and your gentleman bits are hanging over the ocean...biggrin.png

Edited by Soutpeel

ahem, i think the correct translation is water elephant, due to the noun - adjective convention in thai grammar.