Phantom

Potter

Considering buying one. I appreciate any advice. 200CC 4 stroke and 85,000 baht.

* Buying my first bigger bike.

* Inside is simple.

* Everything inside made from Thailand, so repairs are easy and can be done everywhere.

* First models were bad, but now everything is good.

* Good bike for the mountains.

* More safe than a small bike.

Thanks

Potter

Yes they are better than your general 'ped...

I currently own a phantom and my opinion is...

they handle like poo, too long and light

they are cheap thai metals, so corrode quite quickly

they are cheap to maintain

not so hot for off road

If a super moderator got the bike I am considering to buy... Then it cant be bad :o:D:D:D

Are you happy with your bike?

With hindsight, would you rather have bought a different bike?

Can you recommend the bike as a first "big" bike?

Those quistions goes to anybody who has or have had a Phantom.

Thanks

Potter

If a super moderator got the bike I am considering to buy... Then it cant be bad :o:D:D:D

Those quistions goes to anybody who has or have had a Phantom.

Thanks

Potter

I have had my Phantom for about two years now, and although I would not call it a "Big Bike", I find it much more enjoyable for country road riding than those little 100cc to 125cc Scooters... In town (Kalasin) it is a bit more to try and ride and park in traffic, but the size and extra power and gears more than make up for that when cruising the countryside... For the most part I find that I can keep up with, and drive it like most cars, avoiding the little leftside lane normally reserved for the smaller bikes...

If the cost of "legal" Big Bikes (400cc+) was not so prohibitive, I would prefer to have a small scooter for around town stuff, and a true "Big Bike" for the longer rides...

Pianoman

Yes i'm happy iwth the bike, considering the purchase price...

I have to be careful when its wet, or when the road surface is covered in mud/sand/water etc (but thats fairly standard anyhow) - The only times i've come off the bike is down to the road surface, just keep that in mind. The back end is very slippy, your sat in the middle of the bike, not over the back tyre so theres no real weight on the back to keep it stuck to the road... the bike is a bit too long for its weight making the handling worse than it could be.

My bike is exposed to the elements, not kept under cover, i live on phuket. The 'chrome' on the bike is covered in rust spots (lots of them, the bike is just 2 years old) which makes the bike look a bit naff. I keep an eye on it and whilst the rust hasnt eaten away the metal (yet) it will need to be replaced soon.

Keep the bike regulary serviced, _watch_ the guys whilst they are doing it, i had an incedent where they serviced the bike but didnt check the oil, subsequently i was riding with little/no oil for a while which didnt do the engine any good.

Bottom line its a Honda, they run for ever, they can take a good amount of abuse before they complain... Phantoms are not quite as hardy as the peds, but over all its a good bike.

I would seriously look into the Kawasaki Boss (spelling?) its only a 175 but i've been told its a better bike than the Phantom, and its similar specs/price range, i dont know how the spare parts costs compair with the phantom, but i doubt they would be hugely different.

If your looking for a bigger bike than the 200, i'd look into a Steed (400cc) It really depends on what your looking for, what your into and what you can afford.

Hope that helps!

:o

I wanted to rent one and try it. Lots of shops had previously had Phantoms, but were all sold. I see this as a bad sign. I live in Chiang Rai, which is 90% mountains. How does the bike ride in the mountains?

Thanks for all your detaialed answers :o:D:D

I have had one for about two years and really really like it. I have had hundreds of motorcycles over 30 years and this one is pretty high on the list especially for driving in Thailand.

Large frame and lightweight makes for decent comfort and easy handling at slow speeds. Its a honda, with minimal maintenance it has proven exceptionally reliable. Drive it up into the mountains around Chiang Mai every year, lots of shifting but never had to push it over a peak yet.

Easy on gas, easy and cheap to service, good cruising, just fine for splitting lanes in Bangkok, it is an excellent compromise.

The gearbox is pure junk, feels like shifting a bag full of marbles. Misses gears alot, could use better rear shocks than the 240 baht standard equipment. The OEM tires and brakes are junk too, the bike performs much better when these are replaced with quality components.

This year I think I will punch mine out to 250cc, thats what they were originally designed as in Japan, our Thai Phantoms are undersized to comply with regulations. The 250cc kit is just pistons and rebore, easy and makes a big differance.

Great bike, great choice, you will enjoy it with few problems and have something to resell easily when your done.

This year I think I will punch mine out to 250cc, thats what they were originally designed as in Japan, our Thai Phantoms are undersized to comply with regulations. The 250cc kit is just pistons and rebore, easy and makes a big differance.

I am convinced. I will buy this bike. If either of you guys come to Chiang Rai, please let me know and I will buy you a beer.

PS: I was told an advantage of the 200CC Phantom is all spare parts inside the bike are made from Thailand. This might not be true for Phantoms with a different CC.

Thanks for all the advices.

Potter

Well, thats true, if you take a thai phantom and punch it out to 250ccs you will need to install the Honda Phantom pistons and rings from japan. You will need to replace piston rings in a single cylinder bike realistically around 70 to 90,000 kilometers if you dont change the oil, around 200,000 kilometers if you do change the oil regularly. In either case, the rings will need to be from Honda Japan. In all my years and radical messing about with motorcycle engines, I have never had to replace a set of pistons other than voluntarily (increasing compression or to cut deeper valve reliefs for high lift valves). Pistons undergo no wear at all and never fail under normal use. The bearing sleeves at the end of the wrist pins are the same size at the 200cc model so in the end, only the rings would be a parts problem in Thailand and they are in stock at numerous shops here that offer the 250cc conversion.

PLEASE KEEP IN MIND THAT IF YOU INCREASE THE BORE TO 250CC DURING THE WARRANTY PERIOD YOU WILL VOID THE WARRANTY.

Try driving it a year or two before you decide but remember that a 25% increase in engine size will yeild about a 30-35% increase in rear wheel power. There are no additional parasitic losses and the carburettor is already designed for the increased capacity, it might need to be rejetted but that is cheap and easy.

You will find that the stock phantom has adequate power for 95% of your driving needs and is comfortable at 110 kmh in sixth gear with some left over. After a year or two though you will start thinking about a 1/3 increase in usuable torque, especially in the mountains....

I have been toying with the idea of a Phantom for the past year. I drive past a shop everyday that always has a few on display. Its the dangerous roads that have stopped me getting one already. If only the indigenous population had a bit more road sense and less gungho attitude.

I looked at the Phantom and the Kawasaki Boss. I bought a Boss. It was faster than my friend's Phantoms and to me it seemed more stable besides costing less money. It never missed a beat or let me down. After having a few near misses I sold it.

Have owned a Phanton since 2003. Bought mine for 71000 bht at the time. Now done nearly 15,000 kms and still looks very good

I Live in Bangkok and find navigating the traffic no problems, skinny enough and comfortable around town.

Out on the road she performs well for a 200cc, nothing to shout about but holds a steady 90kmh without comlaining 2 up. Have to stop after about 100kms for a numb bum break.

As for hills & mountains she is fine so far. Been to Kho chang ( very steep) Kanchanaburi and sanklaburi ( 3 pagodas pass) all mountain areas 2 up it's doable but better i up then no problems.

As for rust I have none. I make a point of drying her after a wet run and after being near the sea I give a proper detaied clean> Sea spray/water just kills paint and chrome.

Next time I am back I will convert her to 250cc. it's a shame about the big bike restrictions here but TIT

I like the boss and nearly bought one. Also a couple of Thai friends say they are not so good on hills ?Just preferred the lines of the Phantom I ended up with Honda as there are so many dealers around the country. That said Ive only needed a couple of stops in to get the occasional missing nut and flat tyre.

I also decided on the gold colour slapped on a police sticker on the tank and got 191 on the plate. Result is I can leave it anywhere and it's left alone. Even in police stations which I find to be real convenient as bike parks. :o

Very happy with her other than

Well, thats true, if you take a thai phantom and punch it out to 250ccs you will need to install the Honda Phantom pistons and rings from japan. You will need to replace piston rings in a single cylinder bike realistically around 70 to 90,000 kilometers if you dont change the oil, around 200,000 kilometers if you do change the oil regularly. In either case, the rings will need to be from Honda Japan. In all my years and radical messing about with motorcycle engines, I have never had to replace a set of pistons other than voluntarily (increasing compression or to cut deeper valve reliefs for high lift valves). Pistons undergo no wear at all and never fail under normal use. The bearing sleeves at the end of the wrist pins are the same size at the 200cc model so in the end, only the rings would be a parts problem in Thailand and they are in stock at numerous shops here that offer the 250cc conversion.

PLEASE KEEP IN MIND THAT IF YOU INCREASE THE BORE TO 250CC DURING THE WARRANTY PERIOD YOU WILL VOID THE WARRANTY.

Try driving it a year or two before you decide but remember that a 25% increase in engine size will yeild about a 30-35% increase in rear wheel power. There are no additional parasitic losses and the carburettor is already designed for the increased capacity, it might need to be rejetted but that is cheap and easy.

You will find that the stock phantom has adequate power for 95% of your driving needs and is comfortable at 110 kmh in sixth gear with some left over. After a year or two though you will start thinking about a 1/3 increase in usuable torque, especially in the mountains....

any idea about the cost for this upgrade to 250 cc ?

The gearbox is pure junk, feels like shifting a bag full of marbles. Misses gears alot, could use better rear shocks than the 240 baht standard equipment. The OEM tires and brakes are junk too, the bike performs much better when these are replaced with quality components.

where do you buy those quality components sucha s gear, shocks, tires, brakes?

where do you buy the kit?

Great bike, great choice, you will enjoy it with few problems and have something to resell easily when your done.

was reading all the "phantom" posts last weekend and ordered a phantom yesterday, have to wait a few days to get all the options installed.

Rono

I did buy a Phantom. I like it. I have never driven a bigger bike before. I paid cash and then my bike was taken to the back. I could not get it started so I said I wanted it

* I got disbrakes both in the front and in the back. The work a lot better than my yamaha scooter.

* I am new to bigger bikes. I got problems with the low gears. In town the engine sometimes stop when driving slow in a traffic jam. Is this normal or is it because I am new to a big bike? Can it be advised to change the gears and what gears should I then chose? Also I sometimes miss them when changing gear.

Thanks

Potter

Potter, thats the junky gearbox, I find myself in the wrong gear at low speeds too because the shift does not register. It misses gears a lot, just takes some getting used to I guess but I miss the precision shifting of BMW or Ducati.

I considered opening my gearbox and taking a look at why its so bad but I am half afraid of finding plastic gears or some such nonsense. Then it will be two weeks at the CNC shop redesigning and chamfering, I want to drive it, not rebuild it, the reason I bought a Honda in the first place.

I am of the age where if it aint broke DONT FIX IT.

Stomp that gear level a bit harder next time......

I've met two farang who just love their Phantoms. The first guy remarked how comfortable his was. Neither said it handled well on turns, which makes sense because chopper frames are long and the fork is extended at an angle. Both said their bikes were trouble free.

Hey, I drive a CBR150 - smallest of the eleven bikes I've owned - and am slightly amused at a 200 being considered a 'big bike.' But if Honda ever makes a CBR200, I'll probably buy one.

I can't believe people would spend so much money (relatively speaking), on a bike that is average at best.

For 70,000 you can get an imported 400cc naked bike in really good nick. More power, more torque, more acceleration, better components, more long distance ability, better handling, better stability, better looks, Japanese reliability... the list goes on.

The jap imports aren't even that expensive to get fixed should you have a problem, and they hold their value much better too.

Then again, what am I saying. Stick to your crappy Phantoms and Bosses. If you all get 400s then the increase in demand may well push the prices up, and I don't want that do I... :o

Hi Lormaak,

I bought my 200cc becuase I liked it and becuase the dealer nearby has spares in stock and experience with this model. Futhermore, I don't need more power nor speed, this phantom suits me fine for what I need it for. Not to forget the 3 year warranty.

Some want a small bike, some want a bigger, good that nobody wants the same, indeed prices would go up...

Hi Lormaak,

I bought my 200cc becuase I liked it and becuase the dealer nearby has spares in stock and experience with this model. Futhermore, I don't need more power nor speed, this phantom suits me fine for what I need it for. Not to forget the 3 year warranty.

Some want a small bike, some want a bigger, good that nobody wants the same, indeed prices would go up...

I know... I was only being an arse. I am English after all.

However, if you do tire of small ccs, the 400s are a pretty good next step.

Hi Lormaak,

I know... I was only being an arse. I am English after all.

However, if you do tire of small ccs, the 400s are a pretty good next step.

Does this mean all English are arse? I have quite a few English friends here and in UK and they certainly are not :D

Well, this 200 will stay a long time I hope, only use it for fun...we will see... :o

I learned a lot from this thread. Thanks to all of you. :o

Noticed that you seem to have a Custom Seat... I am not so much interested in the studs as the seat appears to be much softer than the orginal stock seat... My old butt gets a bit sore after a couple of hours of riding, and would like to consider a softer alturnative... Where did your come from, how comfortable is it and how much did it cost??

Pianoman

Noticed that you seem to have a Custom Seat... I am not so much interested in the studs as the seat appears to be much softer than the orginal stock seat... My old butt gets a bit sore after a couple of hours of riding, and would like to consider a softer alturnative... Where did your come from, how comfortable is it and how much did it cost??

Pianoman

I bought the custom seat at Dr.Bike in Soi Chockchai 4, see my post in this forum about choppers.

Indeed this seat is much softer than the standard one, I brought my standard seat to the shop and paid 1,200 baht for the custom one, you know they use the standard seat frame and refurbish it with new leather, you can ask the shop to have it made without the studs.

good luck, rono

Pianoman

I bought my phantom in Chiang Rai. My butt too gets sore after a couple of hours. But then again shoulders and back are just fine (where i used to get problems with my 105cc yamaha.)

Pianoman

I bought my phantom in Chiang Rai. My butt too gets sore after a couple of hours. But then again shoulders and back are just fine (where i used to get problems with my 105cc yamaha.)

I will be 50 this year, no problem with my butt, very soft seat, would recommend the switch.

Contact Dr.Bike at 02-538 7638 or email [email protected], maybe he can send a soft seat to you or has a dealer in the north, they have manufacturing facility and do wholesale.

You can make a very nice cruiser at a low cost from these bikes I have an old 150 that I tripped out with large side cases and back case. I have riddentthis bike to Chaing Ria and Chaing Mia and back to Udon. I hadaa 200 and just w not happy with the perofirmance, beliee it out not I have cruied to people up on the 150 at a 140 and top end is 160.

With the conversion kit availble I may have to rethink all this, the 200 is a much easier ride. The 150 being a 2 cycle requires a lot more gear changes. They are right about the back end being lite adn you really have to have a good tire on the back with good tread or you will find your self sliding on heavy stops.

I tried to find a photo of it but I couldn't I did find one of my old restored 750 Yamaha, I attached it because the 150 is fixed up jut about the same o give you nad idea of what can be done. But I would caution stock 200's are under powered for this. Kick it up to 250CC and you might have a heck of a cruiser, much better then I have.

If you think the 200 is hard to handle they are a piece of cake compared to this old beast of a 750, things are done much better today.

post-662-1141482817_thumb.jpg

The phantom and the boss are way to fat and heavy for a 200 cc bike and don't have power off the line, way too dangerous to ride.

How fat r u ? err it's a cruiser so it's not going to go like a rocket is it ? Way too dangerous ? what are you talking about ? it goes fine it stop fine it's a 200cc what do you expect ? .....

can't believe people would spend so much money (relatively speaking), on a bike that is average at best.

For 70,000 you can get an imported 400cc naked bike in really good nick. More power, more torque, more acceleration, better components, more long distance ability, better handling, better stability, better looks, Japanese reliability... the list goes on.

try getting a part by popping into a dealer when you need it though ...... anyway 70,000 is v cheap and expect that for many the power of a phanton is more than enough ......... letting most farang loose on a lot of power in thailand would probably get them in more trouble than they need......