Kissing Thailand Good Riddance

Interman

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't take that. Again it all depends on where you are. The UK's healthcare system still provides a large proportion of the leading medical research in the world along with superb professionals. Some hospitals in the UK do fall below the mark, but a lot of the UK's hospitals rank amongst the best in the world.

I spent 3 years working providing software solutions into the NHS and, as such, have been around a large quantity of the UK's healthcare trusts as a guest of the trustees. I have seen the good and the bad. I have also traveled the world and seen healthcare all over the world. What the UK has is still world class and, more importantly, available to all.

------EDIT - Just remembered------

Trembly. I remember you stating Staines, Sunbury and Ashford. Unfortunately your experience of the NHS will not have been good if you had ever been to Ashford Hospital as Ashford and St Peter's Hospital Trust is not (by a long stretch) the best in the country. Nearby Heatherwood, Upton Park or Windsor Hospitals are no better either.

You have to balance this with a hospital like Addenbrooke's (Cambridge). I was unfortunate enough to leave the side of the road at 70mph in my car and land in a field. From that point on I got more and more fortunate. I was taken to Addenbrooke's which just happens to be one of the best A&Es in the country. In another example I took a friend with a dislocated shoulder (rugby injury) to Kingston A&E at 10pm on a Saturday night. They took one look at him and he was in the theater within 30 minutes, jumping a queue of undeserving drunkards. These 2 hospitals can show you why the NHS is so good (you don't want to be ANYWHERE other than Kingston if you have a neurological problem....ANYWHERE).

The only criticism I can give of the NHS is that the treatment is not consistent throughout the country. Again this is something you can choose. Live in Kingston-Upon-Thames and you might have some crime issues but you can have access to 2 top ten government schools (Tiffin Boys and Tiffin Girls) and a world class hospital.

Kingers is just generally rather good. thumbsup.gif

Off topic post removed, this thread is not about US gun laws.

Apologies.

I thought the topic was about leaving Thailand because OP though it's not the best place to bring up their kids, and to quote OP he saw it as "an uphill battle having to fight against culture, TV and people as a whole"

Someone raised the gun issue which as a parent I thought was valid. My wife and I were discussing where best to bring up our kids last night, and both agreed we wouldn't want to raise them in the US. US has guns as part of its culture, in a way that's not part of our culture in Thailand or UK culture. We see guns as part of US culture, frequently on TV and many Americans as a whole see guns as a right that is enshrined into their constitution. Unfortunately, regardless of whether someone is pro or against guns they have the ability to escalate the adverse impacts of racism and corruption which OP highlights.

While I see many of the points raised by OP, it's important to look at the values and culture of what he considers alternatives.

Anyway apologies if someone thinks it's off topic or not relevant.

smile.png

Edited by fletchsmile

If your kids are partly Thai and you can afford private education and private healthcare, I think Thailand is a better option.

Otherwise I'd head back home.

Having said that, I guess that depends where home is.

We tick those boxes. Like OP though I often wonder about is Thailand the right place. Anyone that thinks it's black and white - either way - is kidding themselves. :)

Edited by fletchsmile
  • Like 1

OP writes:

Adultery. Not to get into ones sex lives,, but lets face it, anyone with a little girl here must be worried about their little princess' future.

so... you are worried about your little princess' future because of extra marital sex during her marriage?

OP writes:

Adultery. Not to get into ones sex lives,, but lets face it, anyone with a little girl here must be worried about their little princess' future.

so... you are worried about your little princess' future because of extra marital sex during her marriage?

I think he's worried about her grassing him off to her mother

SC

If your kids are partly Thai and you can afford private education and private healthcare, I think Thailand is a better option.

Otherwise I'd head back home.

Having said that, I guess that depends where home is.

We tick those boxes. Like OP though I often wonder about is Thailand the right place. Anyone that thinks it's black and white - either way - is kidding themselves. smile.png

It's not black and white and I have at times thought about it but, all things considered, I believe Thailand remains a better option for my kids at the present time.

• Like 1

I can only go on the hospitals I've seen in the UK and other peoples many complaints. Anyway, you don't make a decision to live somwhere just because you might be sick one day. Some people go their whole lives without going into hospital, plus as an expat you should have health insurance anyway. Certainly NOT a reason to go home if you are a healthy person.

It's not black and white and I have at times thought about it but, all things considered, I believe Thailand remains a better option for my kids at the present time.

I think Thailand is a great place for kids.

In the UK, my kids wouldn't be having much fun, now or in the future.

As the OP seems to be talking about returning to the UK, let me point out bullying in UK schools is endemic. As your kids are half-Thai they will be mercilessly victimized. Not only the racist insults, but my mum says your mum was a hooker, etc. I used to work in schools in the UK, and it's a pretty nasty scene.

Edited by TommoPhysicist
  • Like 2

As the OP seems to be talking about returning to the UK, let me point out bullying in UK schools is endemic. As your kids are half-Thai they will be mercilessly victimized. Not only the racist insults, but my mum says your mum was a hooker, etc. I used to work in schools in the UK, and it's a pretty nasty scene.

'your mom is a hoe' that's been goin on since I was in school and many years previous to that. it's not new.

i have heard some reports of 'buggery' in the uk which would disturb me if i had kids there.

yes bullying in schools is endemic and not just confined to the UK....gingers-fat kids-weird quiet kids-you name it I took the piss out of them and also suffered a fair bit back myself, it's all part of growing up and toughening up...

you lot over there can wrap your leuk krueng kids up in cotton wool and have all the old hags pinching their cheeks saying narak mak mak and all that.....when your kids are old enough to go to school on their scooter and somchai and his teenage gang don't like the look of them cos they are prettier and paler skin than him and his cretin mates how you going to handle that situation...I know of full thai kids no half breed that returned to Thailand after a couple of years over here and they had a terrible time when they went to see their old school friends...one was told you are a farang in our eyes now and not wanted back here...he cut his trip short and returned to the cold and som tum less land of the UK.

OP writes:

I think he's worried about her grassing him off to her mother

SC

that does make more sense indeed.

Edited by manarak

yes bullying in schools is endemic and not just confined to the UK....gingers-fat kids-weird quiet kids-you name it I took the piss out of them and also suffered a fair bit back myself, it's all part of growing up and toughening up...

you lot over there can wrap your leuk krueng kids up in cotton wool and have all the old hags pinching their cheeks saying narak mak mak and all that.....when your kids are old enough to go to school on their scooter and somchai and his teenage gang don't like the look of them cos they are prettier and paler skin than him and his cretin mates how you going to handle that situation...I know of full thai kids no half breed that returned to Thailand after a couple of years over here and they had a terrible time when they went to see their old school friends...one was told you are a farang in our eyes now and not wanted back here...he cut his trip short and returned to the cold and som tum less land of the UK.

norrona - nice try, but a pretty weak effort to be fair..

norrona - nice try, but a pretty weak effort to be fair..

a try at what exactly?

...Most ex-pats that do not succeed here, do so mostly by their own incompetence and then try to blame the country as a whole for their failings.

Not me. I blame my own personal weaknesses and the demon drink. think, in retrospect, I should've gone elsewhere, though at the time that the decision was made, on the basis of the evidence available, it was the right decision; I didn't review that decision with adequate research later, though.

Nevertheless, I still appreciate the OP's concerns, and share many of them. I am still considering relocating back to the Old Country, for the sake of freedomandsafety

I was slightly surprised with the enthusiasm which my HK friend showed for her life, and her daughters' lives, in the bosom of Aberdeenshire

SC

SC

in retrospect, I should've gone elsewhere, though at the time that the decision was made, on the basis of the evidence available, it was the right decision; I didn't review that decision with adequate research later, though.

forgive my curiosity, but what did your research tell you later and where would you rather have gone then, "if you had known"?

in retrospect, I should've gone elsewhere, though at the time that the decision was made, on the basis of the evidence available, it was the right decision; I didn't review that decision with adequate research later, though.

forgive my curiosity, but what did your research tell you later and where would you rather have gone then, "if you had known"?

Malaysia

Malaysia

what's better there?

Malaysia

what's better there?

There was more work coming up, it's easier to do business with government, it's generally an easier place to live, the weather's better...

everybody is rascist against some nationality.

if you have ablack or asian friend, when you fight with them watch what comes out of you mouth, you will be shocked.

of course we are all aware of differences like skin colour, to pretend otherwise would be ridiculous. However, that has nothing to do with whining about the colour of people's skin on an Internet forum - that's a little more sinister to my mind.

I have had Asian and black friends but I never did what you are suggesting....it wouldn't have occurred to me to be honest.