Kissing Thailand Good Riddance

Interman

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find the racism back home far worse.

My son ( Half Thai / Half Caucasian ) endured more than 10 incidents during our last year in the UK.

These were sometimes violent and always very unpleasant.

On another note, I also teach over here and agree about the schooling scenario ( my son is 14 )

For this reason we will probably move back next year :)

Edited by chonabot

Im sorry to hear that about your son. My first is also a Thai/caucasian. Im not from the UK, but is it possible the racism is because the history of the UK is one of a caste system?

The racism comes from small minded idiots in a small country town near Oxford.

He gets treated brilliantly over here by comparison...but there is the small matter of education.

In terms of a caste system the racists are probably at the bottom of the gene pool and need someone to feel superior over :(

• Like 1

in the UK theres more racism between black and asians within the cities than white racism agaisnt all others....

with kids you will always get issues and really can't base thats how everyone is....when I was a kid 'gingers' used to get grief, even me with blonde hair used to get targeted...

just saying...

• Like 1

Corruption: The former head of the UN Office on Drugs and Crime, Antonio Maria Costa, posited that four pillars of the international banking system are: drug-money laundering, sanctions busting, tax evasion and arms trafficking. As banks essentially call the shots in most western governments it is absurb to believe the west in also not completely rotten to the core.

Certainly, but this is a long way from your daily routine, it's background noise. Capitalism is all about corruption, ethics being overuled by profits after all. Corrupt police, courts, local authorities etc. add a whole new dimension however.

While racism is being wiped out in the West, and persists in a few individuals only, it continues to be politics in Thailand. Dual pricing, the 49% scam in condominiums, foreigners can't own land, foreigners at fault by default in traffic accidents, etc. etc. UK has nothing of this sort, and you don't think of foreigners being good for nothing than to be exploited.

Canada is very multicultural where I grew up. Perhaps my opinion on racism differs than others on here. I dont view racism as just getting picked on or called names because of ethnicity. Those are generaly personal opinions back home. My bone to pick is with Thailand as a whole, view on racism. I put on a video of Mariah Carey and asked the students if they thought she is beautiful, they answer yes. Then tell them she's half black and literaly see them change their opinion. Black teachers from America..... no job for you.

And I feel my kids would benefit 10 fold from being educated at home and then making the decision themselves if they wanted to live here. Like one posted before, being raised in Thailand and then going to a western country is a struggle for obvious reasons.

Corruption: The former head of the UN Office on Drugs and Crime, Antonio Maria Costa, posited that four pillars of the international banking system are: drug-money laundering, sanctions busting, tax evasion and arms trafficking. As banks essentially call the shots in most western governments it is absurb to believe the west in also not completely rotten to the core.

Certainly, but this is a long way from your daily routine, it's background noise. Capitalism is all about corruption, ethics being overuled by profits after all. Corrupt police, courts, local authorities etc. add a whole new dimension however.

While racism is being wiped out in the West, and persists in a few individuals only, it continues to be politics in Thailand. Dual pricing, the 49% scam in condominiums, foreigners can't own land, foreigners at fault by default in traffic accidents, etc. etc. UK has nothing of this sort, and you don't think of foreigners being good for nothing than to be exploited.

exaclty

• Like 1

Foreigners are not at fault by default in traffic accidents. It all to do with who you are, not the colour of your skin.

Granted, at first they might be considered tourists and as such will have no 'power' or 'influence'. However, there are many foreigners, living/working here for years, that have such things. If you're some guy who sits on a Pat Pong barstool 7 days a week, then a Issan farm worker will have more 'power/influence' than you.

• Like 1

After twenty years I've decided to become a Thai citizen. Like you I had my doubts Around 10 years and nearly moved.

However my children have grown up fine and are angels compared to my old mates' kids raised in the UK.

They have had so many advantages here being half caste compared to other countries.

I am so Glad I didn't move As I as well as my kids and wife would be miserable.

Granted the kids education would be better but a very large price to pay for the gamble that they want to become brain surgeons.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Thaivisa Connect App

I am a Father of 2 young girls living here and I totally can totally relate to the above post and I also thought the OP's post was very good too, and anyone that knows me on here will know that I don't hand out compliments easily.

Without going into it all too much I know that this country is far from the perfect place to raise kids and everything the OP mentions is fair kop BUT I am from the UK and the thought of putting my kids through school in the UK and taking my mrs back there to live sends a cold shiver through my spine, my kids will probably be on the smack by the time they are 14....I am 100% staying put, warts an all.

This perception by some that if you put your kids through school in the west that they will leave school at 16 being these perfect people with great careers ahead of them is totally laughable, at least here they will respect the culture and their elders etc...

It never did me any harm.... I had the opportunity to go to Pittodrie for the first time, and meet up with a couple of friends from Hong Kong (and elsewhere) who were delighted with their girls' education in Aberdeenshire. I think you underestimate your children if you think they cannot find smack in Thailand.

I can't imagine anyone leaving school at 16 with a career ahead of them nowadays, by the way

SC

SC

After twenty years I've decided to become a Thai citizen. Like you I had my doubts Around 10 years and nearly moved.

However my children have grown up fine and are angels compared to my old mates' kids raised in the UK.

They have had so many advantages here being half caste compared to other countries.

Granted the kids education would be better but a very large price to pay for the gamble that they want to become brain surgeons.

I am a Father of 2 young girls living here and I totally can totally relate to the above post and I also thought the OP's post was very good too, and anyone that knows me on here will know that I don't hand out compliments easily.

Without going into it all too much I know that this country is far from the perfect place to raise kids and everything the OP mentions is fair kop BUT I am from the UK and the thought of putting my kids through school in the UK and taking my mrs back there to live sends a cold shiver through my spine, my kids will probably be on the smack by the time they are 14....I am 100% staying put, warts an all.

This perception by some that if you put your kids through school in the west that they will leave school at 16 being these perfect people with great careers ahead of them is totally laughable, at least here they will respect the culture and their elders etc...

It never did me any harm.... I had the opportunity to go to Pittodrie for the first time, and meet up with a couple of friends from Hong Kong (and elsewhere) who were delighted with their girls' education in Aberdeenshire. I think you underestimate your children if you think they cannot find smack in Thailand.

I can't imagine anyone leaving school at 16 with a career ahead of them nowadays, by the way

SC

SC

School leaving age

Not what you're looking for? ↓

You can leave school on the last Friday in June, as long as you’ll have turned 16 by the end of that school year’s summer holidays.

Example

If you’ll turn 16 in August 2013, you can leave school at the end of June 2013.

From the summer of 2013 you must do one of the following until the end of the academic year when you turn 17 - you need to be in:

• full-time education
  • an apprenticeship
  • full-time employment (over 20 hours a week) with part-time education

SC

SC

Times have changed now, old bean.

I agree with your last comment, which of course gives less incentive to 'going back' As for the smack rebutt, I know where I'd rather place my bets.

H&H (I can leave my initials too, cool eh)

I'm from the UK, and if raising your children is an issue regarding education here in Thailand, then it would

also be so in the UK too.

Private schooling would be the only way you could give your children the best opportunities whether in Thailand

or back in the UK.

The OP should consider what kind of schools his country has to offer, whether public state or private.

SC

SC

Times have changed now, old bean.

I agree with your last comment, which of course gives less incentive to 'going back' As for the smack rebutt, I know where I'd rather place my bets.

H&H (I can leave my initials too, cool eh)

You may be more familiar with the UK than I am. It didn't seem that different to me. There were a lot more budget and mid-range hotels. Gogo bars had become strip bars, and were no longer open in the morning.

If there was one place i would keep my kids away from, it would be the Daily Mail.

SC

its the taboo against being critical thats going to set a child back here, esp if they migrate to a western country. it makes it difficult to learn how to solve problems in personal and professional life.

A non-issue in schools with western curriculum and western teachers.

Edited to add : . . . . and a non-issue in households that foster independent and critical thought.

Edited by Trembly
  • Like 1

its the taboo against being critical thats going to set a child back here, esp if they migrate to a western country. it makes it difficult to learn how to solve problems in personal and professional life.

do you go out for hamburgers afterwards and hide in a condo all night too?

You're not giving your hypothetical spawn much credit then are you, if you think that they'll revert to sheeple as soon as they as they step out of the condo.

I spent the first 16 years of my life living and being schooled in nowhere other than Thailand and I've yet to see the usual damning platitudes about what growing up in Thailand will do to children manifest themselves in any of my (international school) peers in the same caricature way that those platitudes are quite often bandied about, notwithstanding the prevailing behavioural politics in Thai culture at large and the worldwide distribution of common sense and character.

Edited by Trembly
  • Like 1

You're not giving your hypothetical spawn much credit then are you, if you think that they'll revert to sheeple as soon as they as they step out of the condo.

I spent the first 16 years of my life living and being schooled in nowhere other than Thailand and I've yet to see the usual damning platitudes about what growing up in Thailand will do to children manifest themselves in any of my (international school) peers in the same caricature way that those platitudes are quite often bandied about, notwithstanding the prevailing behavioural politics in Thai culture at large and the worldwide distribution of common sense and character.

I have a couple of grown up kids who were educated in Canada and Australia now have three teenage Thai step kids...none are angels by any stretch but gotta believe that a child's development is mostly about their own strength of character/personalities coupled with a good deal of parental involvement.

Sure all kids are influenced by their classmates positively or negatively...want to be one of the guys etc and want experiment...don't mean they are all gonna be junkies or the class bike.

Whilst the education system here in Thailand has it's faults I notice that the teachers, be they Thai or foreign, are very quick to summon the wife whenever there is any problems.

Have a mate who took his 1/2 Thai son out of private school and is now in public school.....the child is much happier and his work has improved. He is also trilingual......

So one cannot generalize.... it is about the individual methinks.

Attended a Brit mixed grammar school a hundred years ago.....we were all such perfect individuals.....no violence,no sex, no booze, no drugs, no racism ( unless you were born outside Middlesex ) , no class bike...............right!??

• Like 1

Im sorry to hear that about your son. My first is also a Thai/caucasian. Im not from the UK, but is it possible the racism is because the history of the UK is one of a caste system?

No it stems from the fact that at present white British people in London are now the minority,along with many other immigration problems but that's another story,good luck in your new move I hope it works out for the best for you and your family.

just want to correct you on that, white English people in London are the largest ethnic group living in London. Ignorrance is ignorance where ever you live. It ain't so far away from London where they throw stones at children as they come out of their churches for being a different religion.

Its only a short border hop from thailand to where ethnic groups are hounded out of their country and all land for having no home? being a different relgion? who knows

ignorance is ignorance, bigots exist all over the world - or same same to use the local colloqialism

• Like 1

No it stems from the fact that at present white British people in London are now the minority,along with many other immigration problems but that's another story,good luck in your new move I hope it works out for the best for you and your family.

just want to correct you on that, white English people in London are the largest ethnic group living in London. Ignorrance is ignorance where ever you live. It ain't so far away from London where they throw stones at children as they come out of their churches for being a different religion.

Its only a short border hop from thailand to where ethnic groups are hounded out of their country and all land for having no home? being a different relgion? who knows

ignorance is ignorance, bigots exist all over the world - or same same to use the local colloqialism

That's funny the statistics say otherwise,still you may believe what you will,and naturally racism is still a major problem the world over,more so in extreme nationalistic countries where they teach you nothing about the world outside.

The UK considering its immigration and ethnic diversity seems to get along pretty fine in fairness.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethnic_groups_in_London

thats quite a sentence methinks. hiw long did it take you to write it?

• Like 1