Uk Old Age Pension How To File Initial Claim If Living Abroad

candid

Not the ususal bitching thread, just some info required please.

I have a buddy who has lived in Pattaya for years, before that he lived in South America. He is British, an ex soldier who has worked all his life. He is now 64 and has no idea what to do to claim his old age pension in about 9 months time. He is still employed offshore but will need to retire sometime.

He has no adress in UK, no UK bank account, no family, no relatives, no nothing really.

Can he claim it from Thailand or does he need to go to UK? Can anyone point him in the directions of the formalities required to claim his Old Age Pension?

Just google 'International pension centre UK' and take it from there. There's a specific downloadable claim form for claimants living abroad and the claim should be sent at least four months before reaching retirement age.

Not being a pensioner I can't claim to be an expert on this, but I would imagine there could be advantages in appearing to be based in the UK while taking extremely long holidays abroad.

• Like 1

"I have a buddy who has lived in Pattaya for years, before that he lived in South America. He is British, an ex soldier who has worked all his life. He is now 64 and has no idea what to do to claim his old age pension in about 9 months time. He is still employed offshore but will need to retire sometime.

He has no adress in UK, no UK bank account, no family, no relatives, no nothing really."

Does he have 30 full years of NI stamps accredited to him? If not he probably wont be getting a full state pension. He can only catch up for the latest 6 years.

He may be entitled to some sort of extra army pension, and his time in the service will also get him NI credits.

"I have a buddy who has lived in Pattaya for years, before that he lived in South America. He is British, an ex soldier who has worked all his life. He is now 64 and has no idea what to do to claim his old age pension in about 9 months time. He is still employed offshore but will need to retire sometime.

He has no adress in UK, no UK bank account, no family, no relatives, no nothing really."

Does he have 30 full years of NI stamps accredited to him? If not he probably wont be getting a full state pension. He can only catch up for the latest 6 years.

He may be entitled to some sort of extra army pension, and his time in the service will also get him NI credits.

Your question seems to drift off topic but he will definitely have some entitlement, full or partial. Both your points he knows about already, but thanks for responding anyway

The original question was "how does he go about claiming"

He knows about both those points yet hasn't managed to find the UK government department that deals with pension claims? I am surprised. With most people it would be the other way around, hence my comment.

The straightforward Google suggestion given earlier will take him right to it, and so I saw no need to repeat that information. The extra information I gave may be of help to others though, and that makes it worth the effort of typing it out as far as I'm concerned.

Here is all the contacts needed, for the UK DWP (Department of Works and Pensions)

International Pension Centre

[email protected]

Telephone: +44 (0)191 218 7777

Textphone: +44 (0)191 218 7280

Monday to Friday, 8am to 8pm

Download ‘International claim form’ (PDF, 1MB)

Tyneview Park

Newcastle Upon Tyne

NE98 1BA

United Kingdom

https://www.gov.uk/state-pension-if-you-retire-abroad

Good Luck!

& Please remember,your friend should be applying 4 months before his 65th Birthday (retirement date) and also time difference UK/Thailand.

• Like 1

He knows about both those points yet hasn't managed to find the UK government department that deals with pension claims? I am surprised. With most people it would be the other way around, hence my comment.

The straightforward Google suggestion given earlier will take him right to it, and so I saw no need to repeat that information. The extra information I gave may be of help to others though, and that makes it worth the effort of typing it out as far as I'm concerned.

Your original points are pretty common knowledge and can be gleaned from anywhere. Your surprise is surprising. But thanks anyway..

Here is all the contacts needed, for the UK DWP (Department of Works and Pensions)

[email protected]

Telephone: +44 (0)191 218 7777

Textphone: +44 (0)191 218 7280

Monday to Friday, 8am to 8pm

Download ‘International claim form’ (PDF, 1MB)

Tyneview Park

Newcastle Upon Tyne

NE98 1BA

United Kingdom

https://www.gov.uk/s...u-retire-abroad

Good Luck!

& Please remember,your friend should be applying 4 months before his 65th Birthday (retirement date) and also time difference UK/Thailand.

Thank you very much for this information. I shall pass it on to him today

Just a point to remember, if he worked overseas [still working ?] and is paying tax in that Country he need to get the Certificates and send to Newcastle-upon-tyne UK, ASAP as these papers take time to get and need to be in the UK Pension system before the 4 months before he is 65.

I got all mine took about 9 months to get them all, [5 different Countries] and have a letter from The Pension Services UK to say these years have been added to my file,

Also if he worked in the same Country for many years he maybe able to get a pension from that Country ? he would than have to way up this... say/ inform no one + get 2 small pensions, or send all the paperwork to UK and just get the one pension.

Edited by ignis

Just a point to remember, if he worked overseas [still working ?] and is paying tax in that Country he need to get the Certificates and send to Newcastle-upon-tyne UK, ASAP as these papers take time to get and need to be in the UK Pension system before the 4 months before he is 65.

I got all mine took about 9 months to get them all, [5 different Countries] and have a letter from The Pension Services UK to say these years have been added to my file,

Also if he worked in the same Country for many years he maybe able to get a pension from that Country ? he would than have to way up this... say/ inform no one + get 2 small pensions, or send all the paperwork to UK and just get the one pension.

Actually, when I said he was still working, he works via an agency and only visits a country to pick up a vessel. I am unsure about his local tax situation but I'll let him know your comments. Thanks for that