Thai Drivers / Farrang Drivers

kurgen

This is supposed to be a bit of fun so don't spit your dummies out :o

I use the word farrang but it is mainly based on English male drivers, cos we're the best :D

Thai's put their hazard lights on to show you they are going straight ahead , farrangs put their hazard lights on to show there's a hazard ahead.

Thai's flash their lights to let you know they're coming through and not stopping , farrangs flash their lights to let someone pull out in front of them. (this has caught me out a few times)

Thai's see a red light and think speed up and flash my lights before someone pulls out , farrangs see a red light and stop , then whack the steering wheel and shout obscenities at no-one in particular.

Thai's come to a junction and freewheel out until they force someone to let them out , farrangs stop at a junction and after 30 seconds shout about how he would have let someone else pull out by now at no-one in particular.

Well I could go on but maybe someone else can carry the torch for a while.

:D

This is supposed to be a bit of fun so don't spit your dummies out :o

I use the word farrang but it is mainly based on English male drivers, cos we're the best :D

Thai's put their hazard lights on to show you they are going straight ahead , farrangs put their hazard lights on to show there's a hazard ahead.

Thai's flash their lights to let you know they're coming through and not stopping , farrangs flash their lights to let someone pull out in front of them. (this has caught me out a few times)

Thai's see a red light and think speed up and flash my lights before someone pulls out , farrangs see a red light and stop , then whack the steering wheel and shout obscenities at no-one in particular.

Thai's come to a junction and freewheel out until they force someone to let them out , farrangs stop at a junction and after 30 seconds shout about how he would have let someone else pull out by now at no-one in particular.

Well I could go on but maybe someone else can carry the torch for a while.

:D

When driving in Thailand, I expect the unexpected!

One thing I can always be sure of though is that when I'm driving on the highway from Chon Burri to Pattaya, no matter what speed I'm driving at, there will be a Thai driver so close behind me that I sometimes wonder if they want to pass me or 'enter' me!

The good thing about driving in Thailand though, is that unlike in Britain you dion't have to suffer the tiresome phenomenon that is road rage (unless your driving in Koh Samui of course!) :D

I wrote this a couple of years ago, but it seems to have stood the test of time:

KING OF THE ROAD

Being a passenger in any motorized vehicle in Thailand could be justifiably described as unwise. To actually drive oneself runs the risk of being labelled mentally unstable, despite personal driving skills.

Thai drivers are much maligned for their perceived lack of road sense, particularly by farang. Of course farang believe they know better and in some cases may have the notion of commonsense on their side. Have you ever wondered why a Thai driver who only escapes death by the fact that you stood on the brake looks at you in complete bewilderment? Why you have given him/her the single-digit salute as your mouth moves uncontrollably whilst your face contorts is a total mystery to the person whose life you spared. Most often, Farang wish they had not bothered hitting the brake when they realise that their act of saving another's life is met with contempt. Many a time they wish they had run over them and then reversed over their head, just to make sure they got the bastard.

Perhaps the biggest difficulty from the farang perspective is the failure to grasp the fundamental principle of Thai driving.

The classic Thai driver knows exactly where he/she wants to go and sees absolutely no reason why their intentions should be shared with anyone else. Yes, of course, they may well have a last minute change of strategy, but that is their right as they have the freedom of choice. It is not the business of others to be apprised of where they are going in advance. That is why those amber winking lights on vehicles are regarded as a recreational addition to the drivers' enjoyment of the driving experience.

Flashing lights, including those at junctions where the traffic lights have given up the ghost, are regarded only for their entertainment value. As a driver approaches a T-junction with the 'clear' intention of turning left, the very sight of the winking light on the driver's side of the vehicle adds to the feeling of independence.

To put on the hazards causing all the lights to flash at once is bordering on the orgasmic. They appear blissfully unaware that fellow road users may glean some meaning from their antics; some may even believe they have a mechanical problem. Regardless, certain drivers firmly believe this is the internationally recognised way of indicating the intention of going straight ahead at a crossroads, regardless of the fact they will turn either left or right at their whim.

It should be obvious that the use of rear-view mirrors is optional as far as the law may be concerned, yet obligatory from a Thai social standing point of view.

From the male perspective, mirrors are a must to ensure that nose picking is executed in a stylish manner. From the female perspective, whilst nose picking is far from out of the question, the primary purpose of any mirror is for checking and re-applying make up.

There are of course fundamental physiological differences vis-à-vis Farang and other races, one of which is seemingly endemic to the Thai. I refer to peripheral vision. Should horse racing ever become the rage in Thailand, the sports press will not have to waste time suffixing the names of the Thai horses with , as it will be assumed they are all blinkered, allowing them only to see what is directly in front of them through a six inch tunnel of vision. Anything left or right of their main focus is guaranteed not to interfere with their chosen path, because as far as they are concerned there is nothing there in the first place.

I cannot leave this topic without mentioning the Thai ladies who drive top of the range motors, typically silver in colour although distinguishable by other factors. The mainstream dead giveaways include: the car is apparently being driven on autopilot as there is no sign of a head protruding above the driver's seat; the car is travelling at slightly faster than buffalo strolling pace; the person in control of the vehicle seems to have no idea where it wants to go and is prone to unexpectedly stop in order to practice a thirty-nine point turn whilst attempting to park.

The antithesis of the Thai female 'quality' car driver is of course the Thai male. These most often soon-to-be Non-Performing Loans are easy to spot.

The speeds they employ are either foot to the floor or dead stop (the latter speed usually due to ramming the vehicle in front). They seems to have some misconception that any lane in which they choose to travel should be clear at all times.

If some selfish motorist has the audacity to get in their way, despite the fact that the traffic ahead would only be avoidable if they were in a helicopter, the automatic reaction is to tailgate them from a distance of less than a foot whilst flashing their headlights. If this scare tactic does not work, then they will dart in on the inside and take off a layer of paint as they gain that imperative vehicle length advantage by cutting back in.

The above may come across as suggestive that Thai drivers are not as well versed in driving skills, common courtesy, road etiquette and the sense they were born with as farang. That, whilst empirically speaking being not far from the truth, is not always the case: cue the Farang King of the Road!

I of course allude to some of the inadequates who need to look down on other road users from their lofty driving position behind the wheel of a 4 WD vehicle. These specimens live in their own little world and certainly do seem to believe that they are invincible. Why oh why they delude themselves by mentally placing themselves in the make believe and exalted position of road supremo is quite beyond me. I have many theories but the fundamental has to be an inferiority complex.

Perhaps they were bullied at school; they have no friends as people think they are tossers; their genitals are so small that paid for company laughs out loud that at them even after they have swallowed a four pack of Vitamin V; they always wanted to be a lorry driver or Fireman since the age of seven.

There are many more possible reasons but I think you will get the gist of the breed.

Of course not all drivers of such vehicles never to be used for the purpose they were designed are arrogant inadequates devoid of the required skills to control of the vehicles they mistakenly believe give them 'status'. The inability to be able to: keep their vehicle within the boundaries of their chosen lane, park in a space that a novice Tour Bus driver could drive into without reversing and to show a modicum of regard to other road users are but a few of their traits.

Many of these people delude themselves by truly believing other road users revere them. The sad truth is that many are seen for the incompetent, dangerous and arrogant pains in the arse they so often prove themselves to be.

Much criticism is directed at Thai drivers by farang and often justifiably so in my view.

That said, whilst many Thai drivers are indeed a menace, the farang ‘Kings of the Road’ in their inappropriate conveyances are an infuriating nuisance who give farang drivers in general a bad name.

Time they gave themselves a reality check methinks.

I bet that several of the people I am referring to will read this and sagely nod, as they do not see themselves as the subject.

The 'I'm a great driver!' syndrome is sadly an incurable condition once the sufferer has been crowned 'King of the Road'…

It always seemed to meet that Thai drivers, on the whole, exhibit a sort of Buddhist fatalism that you don't really see in the West: i.e. shit happens and you are powerless to prevent it, so why even think about it?

Have you ever noticed how often a Thai driver will do something that could be very dangerous -- go right through an uncontrolled intersection without slowing down or make a sudden lane change, for example -- and hold his head in such a way as to make it absolutely clear that he is NOT looking out for any possible consequences of his act?

If you don't see it, it can't be happening, can it? That's a fundamental principle of Thai life in all sorts of situations.

Edited by OldAsiaHand

There's a Thai saying - "arai ja gerd gaw hai man gerd", meaning whatever happens is meant to happen.

Maybe this has some relevance to the way Thais drive.

If there is going to be an accident, it's meant to happen, so why slow down or drive carefully.

Farang worry too much, Thais relax.

The one thing that scares me is the little macho guy in his big pick-up truck.

I don't know about now, but in the mid 90s there was a road hierarchy based on what vehicle was driven. If it was a Merc or a BMW, the driver controlled the road. Hondas were the middle of the road vehicles. If you were a lowly pickup truck/ute or a Toyota owner you were at the bottom of the heap, save the motorbikes...

Here in Isaan we have a terrific road network, in many areas there are as many as six lanes in each direction, but still you will find people driving down the wrong side of the road, (not only on the hard shoulder). I have asked about this and found that not one Thai seems to consider these actions the least bit strange or dangerous. Another favourite up here is driving a motorcycle without lights, without crash helmet, with 4-5 passengers and a with a few months old baby balanced on the handle bars, the wrong way down the highway.

There is a hiarachy depending on how many wheels you've got and how big they are, if you are a motorcycle or TuK TuK then you are pray to the cars and songtauws, who are, inturn, prey to the inter-city busses and the truck drivers.

Perhaps the worst aspect of Thai drivers is their propencity to "run away" from the scene of the accidents they have caused. It is a pretty futile exercise as the cops will propably catch them, (Unless they are rich or famous).

BTW does anyone know the Thai words for "Give Way" or "You Go first" ( I don't think they exist)

After 4 years of daily driving here I know have the necessary knowledge to drive the Thai way.

Don't signal before you manoeuvre, its a sign of weekness. signal after you manoeuvre.

If you are unsure about which lane to be in just drive in the middle.

If you have to go the U turn and it is too far, switch the hazards on and go down the wrong way.

If you see a red light and there are no police around go through. Simple

Don't worry about motorbikes, in fact pretend that they don't excist on the roads.

Don't sit in a que, go on the hard shoulder and push your way in.

Whilst driving make sure you use your mobile as much as possible either texting or talking.

Always pick your nose whilst driving.

Make sure that you get as close as possible to the driver in front especially over 90 kilometres an hour. Then flash your headlights to get out the way even if they can't.

There is many many more. :o

Edited by Laughing Gravy

Here in Chiang mai we sometimes have the battered old hill-tribe pick up in town. All the guys inside protected from the rain and sun, women in the back with the kids and chickens. They always seem happy, but they have this habit of driving straight through junctions, controlled or not. Someone told me, and I believe, it's because many have never seen a traffic light and do not understand the rules.

Noel

The difference:

The Thai ladies who drive top of the range motors

Yes I enjoy my freedom because I work very hard to buy a top range motor :D .

The car is apparently being driven on autopilot as there is no sign of a head protruding above the driver's seat.

My head is protruding above the drivers seat, cant you see that :D .

The car is travelling at slightly faster than buffalo strolling pace.

Maybe reading to many buffalo stories, everything comes down on these animals :o .

Noel; really enjoyed your write-up! Very funny (and true) indeed! :D

Joyeves: I know some Thai girls in top cars that drive very, very well - so that stereotype is probably the least clear in Noels write-up. If it is you in your avatar and you have a top range motor we should hang out more! :o - heck; forget the motor!

Cheers!

Noel

The car is travelling at slightly faster than buffalo strolling pace.

Maybe reading to many buffalo stories, everything comes down on these animals :D .

joyeves you could say that they are being made scapegoats of, I mean scapebuffaloes. :o

Noel-well funny story mate. :D

Edit: Firefan you beat me to it; just what I was thinking, too right sod the motor!

Edited by Chopper

I suppose the main differences are that the rules of the road are enforceable for Farangs but merely advisory for Thais.

Only if they know you're a farang. Used to get stopped all the time, then bought an SUV and put a very dark film on it. 3 years down the line - never been stopped - the cops aren't sure who's at the wheel, so they leave me alone. Only problem is I can't see much at night - well you can't have everything. :o An interesting fact: My ex Thai wife used to drive immpeccably in the Uk, but as soon as she hit Thailand, she drove like a Thai maniac. I also reckon there are loads of farangs (myself probably included) who drive not a lot different to the Thais - when in Rome etc. :D

Joyeys, I could look at your head protuding above the seat all day long, but maybe it would be better if you reamined hidden. Too much risk of rubberneck accidents!! :D

I also reckon there are loads of farangs (myself probably included) who drive not a lot different to the Thais - when in Rome etc. :o

I agree with that. There is a certain group of drivers who see how certain Thais drive and think that it's okay to copy them!

Don't forget that the standard of driving throughout Europe is by no means uniform. Dodgy, macho driving is everwhere & i'd say i've seen just as bad in France, Italy, Spain & Greece. Not all "farang" are good drivers but there are countries where people drive a little less aggresively.

A lot of the usual, perhaps not entirely unjust, comments here.

But I wonder, how many people decrying Thai drivers are themselves partial to a few beers before driving, or can put their hand on their heart and say they haven't driven in Thailand while having more drinks than they would dare to have and drive back home?

I also reckon there are loads of farangs (myself probably included) who drive not a lot different to the Thais - when in Rome etc. :o

I agree with that. There is a certain group of drivers who see how certain Thais drive and think that it's okay to copy them!

Don't forget that the standard of driving throughout Europe is by no means uniform. Dodgy, macho driving is everwhere & i'd say i've seen just as bad in France, Italy, Spain & Greece. Not all "farang" are good drivers but there are countries where people drive a little less aggresively.

That's true, I just had a blazing row with a farang guy today about the speed he drives round our condo carpark on his motorbike. Someone is going to get hurt the way he is carrying on.

Here in Chiang mai we sometimes have the battered old hill-tribe pick up in town. All the guys inside protected from the rain and sun, women in the back with the kids and chickens. They always seem happy, but they have this habit of driving straight through junctions, controlled or not. Someone told me, and I believe, it's because many have never seen a traffic light and do not understand the rules.

thats funny and if its true its even funnier

A lot of the usual, perhaps not entirely unjust, comments here.

But I wonder, how many people decrying Thai drivers are themselves partial to a few beers before driving, or can put their hand on their heart and say they haven't driven in Thailand while having more drinks than they would dare to have and drive back home?

I can :o

If I'm driving then I won't drink, no matter what country I'm in :D

One thing I have noticed is the Thai's drive fast in a straight line but slow down to below walking pace to turn a corner.

Yep makes me laugh on the expressway or motorways...some nutter in his 4wd pickup right on my tail flashing lights (even though theres nowhere for me to go to get out of his way)...come to even a gentle curve and he disappears and takes another 2-3min to catch me up and start his light flashing antics again!!!! mad :D

I love driving in Thailand and have no complaints about the way Thais drive (or farang). I probably have the rare opinion but I don't have any of the problems voiced here, either. Duck.gif
Love driving in thailand, I think most of the thai,s sneak over to Queensland for driver training :D drive into Brisbane on a monday morning , as good as driving in bangkok anyday,I will probably get shredded by old croc for this but I genuinely think there are more Brain amputees on the road in Queensland than anywhere else in the world!! used to think driving in london was crazy even worse than Los , as far as drink driving goes the Qld police are famous for it, another couple were caught on saturday guess what they were driving a booze bus, and one of the people they pulled noticed alcohol on their breath, of course the thai,s change mentality once behind the wheel, as a thai friend explained once ,if driving in Bangkok, no room in traffic , Make room, lane of traffic blocked ,make yourself a new one :D if driving up north any side of road will do,if driving in laos must hit one motorbike everyday otherwise Bad Luck :o lousy drivers all over the world, just a few more in Los. Remember Holdens were created so that pricks wouldnt drive Fords :D Nignoy

I think that just about encapsulates the differences…..but what puzzles me is why? What is the basis of Thai driving philosophy? I think that certainly the expression "arai ja gerd gaw hai man gerd", - whatever happens is meant to happen, goes some way to explaining some behaviour.

In Western countries we have grown up with the car for over 50 years, we expect to drive and our national psyches are geared to this as are our road systems and behaviour on them.

On the other hand, mass motorised transport is a relatively new thing here, it has only taken hold with rampant industrialisation, before this the 2 main forms of transport were hand or animal pulled cart or perhaps more importantly, river transport.

So it has been suggested, and I like the idea, that the Thai national psyche is orientated towards river transport – this would indeed account for a lot of traffic behaviour, for who could deny that especially in towns it flows much more as if on water than on asphalt. No sudden halts just gentle drifting out into mainstreams, slowly moving up alongside the bank (hard shoulder) sheltering from the oncoming current…… moving off so slowly so as not to upset the load…..and of course parking nose first and hoping the stern will drift in round behind. Needless to say that add to this the speed capability of the motor vehicle and you get a somewhat dangerous situation…..but next time you’re out driving, just keep repeating to yourself “I’m in a boat, I’m in a boat, I’m in a boat” and see how it all comes together!

After reading your post, Wilko, it brought to mind what I feel about driving in LOS - it's poetry in motion. Not sure that's an analogy most could relate to. But for me it means that you get out on the road and find yourself with a multitude of others who all have differing intentions; some are in a hurry and some are not; some like to drive fast while others enjoy to drive as if it were Sunday everday; some are fearful whenever they find themselves behind the wheel while to others driving is strictly sheer enjoyment; some trust implicitly in themselves while some most believe that their live's are in everyone else's hands and certainly not in their own.

Despite the mix of all of these different intentions out on the road traffic for the most part flows rather smoothly and people are on the whole able to get from point A to point B without incident. I truly appreciate the synergy of that.

Somedays I'm in a hurry and I'll drive just like the so-called maniacal Thais while on other days I drive so slowly that I'll actually pull onto the shoulder to allow others to pass me by. I'm never fearful while driving because it's only fun for me. I trust myself always and that allows me to allow others to do as they please on the road; they don't need to affect me and I don't let them effect me, either.

The driving experience to me is all attitude. I'm thankful for mine since it causes me to have one less thing to complain about and therefore one more happy thing to think about. Again, Duck.gif.