Two British Men Survive Plane Crash: Bangkok

webfact

Plucky Elderly Brit Survives Small Plane Crash

brit.jpeg

Two British men, one of them 77 years old, survived a small plane crash in a grassy field in Pathum Thani. The men were returning to Bangkok from a business trip when the plane’s engine failed. The plane skidded on the ground after landing and overturned. The men reportedly suffered minor injuries.

PATHUM THANI – December 17, 2012 [PDN]; at 3 p.m., members of the air squadron 203 went to check the site of a plane crash, after the Air Force control tower reported that the aircraft had disappeared from the radar screen.

The 2-seat, private plane of Asian Arrow Space had crashed in the middle of a field, about 200 meters away from the nearby houses. It had overturned, and its engine appeared to be damaged. The aircraft was stabilized to prevent an explosion.

Volunteers from Ruamkatanyu Foundation took the victims to Krung Siam St. Carlos where they were reported to be safe.Mr. Preecha Songkasing, an area resident who witnessed the incident, said he saw the plane flying in a wave-like motion through the air, before it hit the ground and slid down the middle of the field.

Full story: http://www.pattayada...ll-plane-crash/

-- Pattaya Daily News 2012-12-18

footer_n.gif

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

DA42 twinstar. It'll be interesting to find out what caused both engines to fail.

DA42 is a 4 seater, this was a 2 seater Looks like a single prop job

I'm no aviation geek, but is it possible that this was similar to the aircraft that crashed, as Mosha says, the DA 42 (Diamond Aircraft (Canada)is a twin prop 4 seater.

This looks like a single prop DA20 Evolution or close?

post-9891-0-05011400-1355833567_thumb.jp

HS-DWW

Twin engine da-42.

Both engines failed due to fuel starvation.

Sent from my GT-I9001 using Thaivisa Connect App

http://jetphotos.net....php?id=6627144 except in the op no wing engine looks to have been there reg looks like HS-OWW

HS-DWW Diamond DA42 c/n 42.254 ex OE-UDS

Regd 28-Jan-08 to David Wals Co.Ltd; noted Jun-08; new CofR 08-Oct-12; current Oct-12;

force-landed into a rice field near Ayuttaya 17-Dec-12 after both engines stopped due to fuel starvation whilst en route from Ranong to Bangkok

HS-OWW doesn't seem to appear on the Thai CAA Aircraft list although HS-DWW does. I agree, it's hard to see twin engines in the photo though.

Quite curious now!

Edited by Woodsie888
  • Like 1

www.thai-aviation.net/files/Thai_Civil_Register.pdf

No plane registered under HS-OWW

For HS-DWW following shows:

HS-DWW

Diamond DA42 c/n 42.254 ex OE-UDS

Regd 28-Jan-08 to David Wals Co.Ltd; noted Jun-08; new CofR 08-Oct-12; current Oct-12;

force-landed into a rice field near Ayuttaya 17-Dec-12 after both engines stopped due to fuel

starvation whilst en route from Ranong to Bangkok

From the article in the OP:

The men in the plane were identified as Mr. Davis Wall, 77 years old, nationality British; and Mr. Nicholas Phillippe, age unknown, also British.

So with the accident aircraft registered David Walls Co.,Ltd, it probably was HS-DWW which crashed!

Just saw the accident is already on the Aviation Safety Network, also listed as being a DA-42 Twin Star.

http://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/dblist.php?Year=2012&sorteer=datekey_desc

Just saw the accident is already on the Aviation Safety Network, also listed as being a DA-42 Twin Star.

http://aviation-safe...er=datekey_desc

Problem is they list the source as being the Bangkok Post and the link they provide to the story says it was a 2-seater and shows a full picture of the plane and to me it clearly seems to be a single engine but you guys up on this stuff would no better.

Edit: Here is the same picture from a different news source at http://www.aviationi...or.com/?p=12009:

454402.jpg

Edited by Nisa

Problem is they list the source as being the Bangkok Post and the link they provide to the story says it was a 2-seater and shows a full picture of the plane and to me it clearly seems to be a single engine but you guys up on this stuff would no better.

In the photo you are looking at the starboard side nacelle of the DA-42. Also, only the twin has the added vertical dorsal fin below the tail for yaw stability during single engine operation. The news sources all seemed to have added their own errors.

In the photo you are looking at the starboard side nacelle of the DA-42. Also, only the twin has the added vertical dorsal fin below the tail for yaw stability during single engine operation. The news sources all seemed to have added their own errors.

correct, you cannot see the cockpit as it is hidden by the wing/engine nacelle.

Well spotted I agree. Fuel exhaustion then for sure.....

The OP states it was a 2-seater and twice refers to it having a single engine.

Wouldn't be the first time a reporter got some details wrong smile.png

Another newspaper reported it to be a Cessna DA-42, something I think neither Cessna nor Diamond aircraft would be happy with laugh.png

Sent from my GT-I9001 using Thaivisa Connect App

No doubt regarding the news source and honestly I know little to nothing about these planes but the conversation peaked my interest in understanding if it has two engines or one ... since a poster pondered about it being odd to have two engines go out. And thanks for what I started to figure out on my own through a Google search regarding a "Cessna" DA-42

Some of the recent models have had problems with both engines quitting due to the engine controllers running on a single DC buss supply. Not sure if that is implicated here though.

So you don't think that mess in the front of the plane is the engine and what appears to be a propeller? The pics I looked at online of the twin engine appeared to show the back wheels on the wings and these appear to be on the fuselage. I'll take your guys words for it but just wanted to clarify.

Edited by Nisa

Some of the recent models have had problems with both engines quitting due to the engine controllers running on a single DC buss supply. Not sure if that is implicated here though.

That's an unforgivable design flaw then. Reminds me of a Maule I flew until the IA told me that both mags were driven by a single plastic gear.

Hard to interpret picture for sure...

But yeah, what you see is indeed an engine and a prop, but it's the right engine. You're not looking at the cockpit with a front engine.

And I have the registration list directly from the Thai DCA (Department of civil Aviation) on my PC, and it clearly shows HS-DWW to be a DA-42, and HS-OWW does not exist!

• Like 1

Cool you guys were able to spot this. Lets just hope the story is accurate about the both folks surviving and being safe. I can only hope when I am 77 I am not just capable of flying around Thailand in a small plane but also be able to withstand this type of an event without having a major heart attack.

• Like 1

Cool you guys were able to spot this. Lets just hope the story is accurate about the both folks surviving and being safe. I can only hope when I am 77 I am not just capable of flying around Thailand in a small plane but also be able to withstand this type of an event without having a major heart attack.

Yeah, it is great to see age not being a barrier. Recently there was a story on AvWeb from the USA of a guy that celebrated his 100th birthday by taking his own plane up for a short flight. I think he had a safety pilot but it did sound like he flew regularly.

And the 77 year old owner/PIC seems to have done a pretty good job deadsticking the plane in.

Putting it down in what looks to be a muddy rice/grass field without damaging a plane is rather impossible (looking at the landing gear it seems very muddy), and they got away with very minor injuries.

One wouldn't really expect a total engine out situation in a twin anyway, musta been a surprise...

DA42 twinstar. It'll be interesting to find out what caused both engines to fail.

It'll be interesting to know why you think it's a twin.

the image is a DA42 upside down in a rice field.

Interesting because there is a bit of unproven technology in these aircraft, hence why there is the lycoming engine option.

And some interesting tidbits, it runs on diesel (Thielert Centurion Diesel engines on the older models or Diamonds own Astro Turbo diesels)

The Royal Thai Airforce owns 26 of them as trainers!

in short, the diesel engines are actually all Mercedes engines. Thielert went broke in the development, and diamond took over otherwise they were left with an aircraft without an engine.

And they run Diesel engines, but actually run on jet fuel, not diesel fuel (though they can run diesel fuel with limitations)