New Years Resolutions (Training / Fat Loss Ect)

robblok

Thanks, i think i break every principal there is at the moment

Thanks, i think i break every principal there is at the moment

You cant expect to turn your bad habbits into good ones over night.. you have to start training and slowly change. It has to be manageable else you won't keep to it on the long run.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok some new measurements, actually amazed my biceps flexed is still 42 cm (after all the weight that i lost)

Waist tucked in exhaled 72cm and 76 normal breath.

Still no chest measurements but i found a 4 meter tape measurement so it would barely fit i guess. biggrin.pngbiggrin.png

Ok some new measurements, actually amazed my biceps flexed is still 42 cm (after all the weight that i lost)

Waist tucked in exhaled 72cm and 76 normal breath.

Still no chest measurements but i found a 4 meter tape measurement so it would barely fit i guess. biggrin.pngbiggrin.png

That's very skinny! Only 28" sucked in and 30" normal. That's 2 inches below what you gave us last time - and with 16 1/2 arms. You're turning into a beast. Well done!

tropo + robblok

Have you guys tested you resting heart rate first thing when you wake up?

That should give you a good idea of your aerobic conditioning?

As I said before you might be surprised how easy it is to get it into the low forties.

I know you guys are primarily body builders but you are still doing a fair bit of cardio.

tropo + robblok

As I said before you might be surprised how easy it is to get it into the low forties.

I know you guys are primarily body builders but you are still doing a fair bit of cardio.

Yes, I get my HR when I measure my blood pressure on my wrist monitor. As I said in an earlier post, when I was doing a lot of cardio it was in the 55 - 60 range. The lowest I ever saw (this year) was 50. It's not as low now because I've cut back on cardio and had a long break.

I always monitor my heart rate during cardio exercise.

Personally I'd rather be strong with a good muscular physique with a higher heart rate than a skinny runner with a very low resting heart rate.

I do the cardio to help with fat loss. I don't care how far or how fast I can row - I count the calorie burn. Just my training alone is cardio. I do fast timed workouts. For example, 10 sets of squats with 90 seconds rest between is pretty intensive for the heart. That's fairly similar to HIIT.

70-80 but i only started cardio in july. Anyway this year ill improve on it.

I like to get it lower for the freediving, not that i do that much but when i get a chance i love it.

Anyway a bit of extra stamina is a good thing. Next year will be interesting to see what i can improve.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect App

I like to get it lower for the freediving, not that i do that much but when i get a chance i love it.

Anyway a bit of extra stamina is a good thing. Next year will be interesting to see what i can improve.

Which starts in just over 8 hours. Are you going out to party tonight? Will you be training tomorrow?

I'll also do a row today.

tropo + robblok

Yes, I get my HR when I measure my blood pressure on my wrist monitor. As I said in an earlier post, when I was doing a lot of cardio it was in the 55 - 60 range. The lowest I ever saw (this year) was 50. It's not as low now because I've cut back on cardio and had a long break.

I always monitor my heart rate during cardio exercise.

Personally I'd rather be strong with a good muscular physique with a higher heart rate than a skinny runner with a very low resting heart rate.

I do the cardio to help with fat loss. I don't care how far or how fast I can row - I count the calorie burn. Just my training alone is cardio. I do fast timed workouts. For example, 10 sets of squats with 90 seconds rest between is pretty intensive for the heart. That's fairly similar to HIIT.

I suppose I have been doing heavy cardio for thirty odd years and that is why I have the lower RHR and as I said it is not unusual for squash players.

Conversely you guys have been doing serious body building for years and that is why you got the big muscles and can lift the heavy weights.

I have always done a big of weight training but it was primarily to improve my squash performance.

So I have never developed the big bulging type muscles although I am reasonably strong.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect App

Is that first thing when you wake up in the morning?

That is when you need to measure it.

During the day it flucuates and is much higher according to what you are doing.

I believe its first day in the morning, i will measure it again soon.

Now i try to do 3 cardio sessions of 45 min a week. I will see, but im sure if i continue what i have been doing i will see improvement. Its good for the overall health.

@tropo,

Probably no party just had a fight with Maew, im pissed off anyway. But was not really planning on a party was going to have people come over and celebrate here.

I also was going to do a row, and the way things are now i might just do it to blow off some steam. I was going to skip today because im sore all over and do a nice shoulder / leg workout tomorrow. The shoulder leg workout stands for sure tomorrow.

I believe its first day in the morning, i will measure it again soon.

Now i try to do 3 cardio sessions of 45 min a week. I will see, but im sure if i continue what i have been doing i will see improvement. Its good for the overall health.

@tropo,

Probably no party just had a fight with Maew, im pissed off anyway. But was not really planning on a party was going to have people come over and celebrate here.

I also was going to do a row, and the way things are now i might just do it to blow off some steam. I was going to skip today because im sore all over and do a nice shoulder / leg workout tomorrow. The shoulder leg workout stands for sure tomorrow.

That's bad timing for a fight. We'll be heading down to the beach to watch the fireworks, then I'll be heading off home to peace and quiet - while the wife goes with her friends to a disco. I hate crowds. The traffic here right now is very bad - and that's late afternoon.

I am gaining weight, as my diet has not changed i think its my muscles who are used again filling up with water and energy. I will see how it goes but feeling bigger again and a lot less sore. In the end i did not do the row yesterday.

But today legs and shoulders.

Any idea on weighted ab exercises ? I do take a plate of 25 kg and do some movements on a ab board of 45 degree. (cant do that with crunches yet). Thinking of buying those weighted leg things for when i do (look down for the image)

http://www.craftsmanspace.com/sites/default/files/free-plans-category/vertical_knee_raise_chin_dip_station.jpg

I am gaining weight, as my diet has not changed i think its my muscles who are used again filling up with water and energy. I will see how it goes but feeling bigger again and a lot less sore. In the end i did not do the row yesterday.

Any idea on weighted ab exercises ? I do take a plate of 25 kg and do some movements on a ab board of 45 degree. (cant do that with crunches yet). Thinking of buying those weighted leg things for when i do (look down for the image)

http://www.craftsman...dip_station.jpg

If you have lost a lot of weight you might need to adjust your diet to compensate - if you are eating the same as you were but carrying 25 per cent less weight around you may not be burning as many calories as before.

Edited by Orac

Never mind, i found that you could use dumbbells but i was more looking at the stretched leg version of the exercise and that would be hard with dumbbells.

I seriously need to find some exercises to get my lower abs bigger, so it has to be something i can ad weight to as i believe that the abs are just like every other muscle if you want to get them big low reps (ok higher as normal) but weighted to increase resistance.

http://www.craftsman...dip_station.jpg

If you have lost a lot of weight you might need to adjust your diet to compensate - if you are eating the same as you were but carrying 25 per cent less weight around you may not be burning as many calories as before.

I mean im eating as much as i was when i was loosing weight, so my diet is still solid. Only thing that changed is that i could not exercise for a month (and still lost weight on my diet). So now i just exercised again and am sore all over and see my weight go up quite fast in those few days. Calorie wise it can't be fat because to get such an increase i would have had to eat 4 times as much as i had over those days.

So its water or something else.. i think its being held because of my muscles having to work hard again. So far the theory, im still on the same diet and am sure i will loose some weight again. This increase does not do anything to me but please me as i feel fuller and look fuller but just as lean.

Robblock

Do you have access to a trx... I see you asking about weighted ah exercises, but for working and trx is unbelievable.. it uses your own body weight so you will always get maximum benefit. Check it out on youtube. Look for trx atomic pushups and pikes

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect App

Sorry im a non believer in that kind of stuff, the only way to get bigger muscles is by weighted exercise its a scientific proven fact. I don't doubt that you get a good workout but your goals are different from mine.

Right now im lean and muscular, i want to become even leaner and more muscular, and increase the size of my abs so they are better visible. Bodyweight exercises would not do that because you lack (unless you ad weight to your body) ways to increase strain. Growth in size only happens at a certain rep range.

Strength training[/url] typically produces a combination of the two different types of hypertrophy: contraction against 80 to 90% of the one repetition maximum for 2–6 repetitions (reps) causes myofibrillated hypertrophy to dominate (as in powerlifters, olympic lifters and strength athletes), while several repetitions (generally 8 – 12 for bodybuilding or 12 or more for muscular endurance) against a sub-maximal load facilitates mainly sarcoplasmic hypertrophy (professional bodybuilders and endurance athletes).[citation needed] The first measurable effect is an increase in the neural drive stimulating muscle contraction. Within just a few days, an untrained individual can achieve measurable strength gains resulting from "learning" to use the muscle.[citation needed] As the muscle continues to receive increased demands, the synthetic machinery is upregulated. Although all the steps are not yet clear, this upregulation appears to begin with the ubiquitous second messenger system (including phospholipases, protein kinase C, tyrosine kinase, and others).[citation needed] These, in turn, activate the family of immediate-early genes, including c-fos, c-jun and myc. These genes appear to dictate the contractile protein gene response.[citation needed]

Progressive overload is considered the most important principle behind hypertrophy, so increasing the weight, repetitions (reps), and sets will all have a positive impact on growth. Some experts create complicated plans that manipulate weight, reps, and sets, increasing one while decreasing the others to keep the schedule varied and less repetitive. It is generally believed that if more than 15 repetitions per set are possible, the weight is too light to stimulate maximal growth.[1]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muscle_hypertrophy

1] What is the optimal rest time between two exercises ?, (like dumbell press)

2] and what is the optimal rest time moving from one exercise to another type of exercise ?

#In 1] i mean i'm doing the same exercise, just how much should i rest before i do it again ?

There might come a day when i want to be more durable, but right now its big & strong that counts.

Edited by poanoi

I personally keep 1.30 for big compounds and a minute or less for the others. I don't believe these things are set in stone and can be changed to suit your needs. But too much of a rest would defeat the purpose same as not enough rest.

HIIT ? That is different that is more for cardio, like going super fast for 1 minute (sprint) then 2 minutes jogging .. repeat 5 times. Put a warmup and a cool down before it.

You can also go for 30 seconds and 1 minute as 1 minute sprint is too much.

I do it on a rowing machine or spinning bike. Personally i don't think you should do it too much as you do other training too and all together it might be too much.

Robblock

Do you have access to a trx... I see you asking about weighted ah exercises, but for working and trx is unbelievable.. it uses your own body weight so you will always get maximum benefit. Check it out on youtube. Look for trx atomic pushups and pikes

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect App

Sorry im a non believer in that kind of stuff, the only way to get bigger muscles is by weighted exercise its a scientific proven fact. I don't doubt that you get a good workout but your goals are different from mine.

Right now im lean and muscular, i want to become even leaner and more muscular, and increase the size of my abs so they are better visible. Bodyweight exercises would not do that because you lack (unless you ad weight to your body) ways to increase strain. Growth in size only happens at a certain rep range.

Reverse crunch leg raises on an incline board. You keep the knees slightly bent and bring them all the way up to near your head....slowly. This is the hardest exercise and you won't need weight. You adjust the angle to increase intensity as you get stronger. Best to use a towel or rope to hold yourself at around the neck or upper chest for maximum stability. I hate this exercise - but it gets the job done. If you really want to suffer then superset this with cable crunches.

When your knees are nearly touching your head pause momentarily and consciously squeeze your abs..

I'm not a believer in this upper ab lower ab "nonsense". All the abs work as a unit on all movements that involve flexing of the spine or raising the knees. The difference when you do leg raises is that activate the hip flexors and this can minimize the benefit of the ab work if you're not aware of it and don't compensate for it.

Edited by tropo

HIIT ? That is different that is more for cardio, like going super fast for 1 minute (sprint) then 2 minutes jogging .. repeat 5 times. Put a warmup and a cool down before it.

You can also go for 30 seconds and 1 minute as 1 minute sprint is too much.

I do it on a rowing machine or spinning bike. Personally i don't think you should do it too much as you do other training too and all together it might be too much.

HIT stands for "high intensity training" whereas HIIT stands for "high intensity interval training".

HIT is a rather vague term. It was used to describe extreme training to failure in one set - popularized by the late Mike Mentzer back in the 80's. Arthur Jones, the designer of Nautilus equipment took hold of the concept in the design of their machines.

Edited by tropo

• 8 months later...

Its still a big disappointment, i had devoted this year to fundamentally transform, i also lost a bet and i'm a poor loser

Not as big a disappointment as my year. From October last year until the end of June I had succeeded in gaining 3 kg of fat and losing 1 kg of muscle..... all while training like a demon possessed, 4 times a week without fail at 2 hours per session and extra cardio.

... and also have had to deal with quite few injuries, including a very bad, arthritic left knee.

Don't feel you're alone - you have company.biggrin.png