Thai Woman Attempts To Carry $850K Worth Of 'ice' Through Singapore

webfact

The Singaporean government has recently announced a relaxation of the mandatory death penalty for drug mules. The sentence will in future depend on how forthcoming the mule is with information about the principals, the results of the enquiries, and how productive the information is found to be. I doubt mules will be set free, but there is now a better than even chance they won't be executed if they cooperate with authorities.

Even though the drugs were not intended for the Singapore market the Singaporeans will still kill her.

Singaporeans don't go round killing people...use some gray matter..

chuang, you're right, Singaporeans don't go around killing people, and the Singaporean government DOES apply a mandatory death penalty for trafficable quantities, but as another poster pointed out, there have been exceptions, albeit not many.

The Australian government, and Amnesty International, put an unbelievable amount of pressure on the Singaporean government to spare a young Australian Vietnamese guy, Nguyen Van Tuong (sometimes the name order is different) , but he was executed in December 2005 after exhausting all avenues of appeal.

The Singaporean government has recently announced a relaxation of the mandatory death penalty for drug mules. The sentence will in future depend on how forthcoming the mule is with information about the principals, the results of the enquiries, and how productive the information is found to be. I doubt mules will be set free, but there is now a better than even chance they won't be executed if they cooperate with authorities.

Whatever her fate, it doesn't sound good.

Death or rotting away in hell.

I wonder what (who?) tipped them off?

It is said that sometimes one mule will be reported -- and therefore is sacrificed and arrested -- to divert attention while another larger shipment goes unimpeded. However, her stash was so substantial that I doubt that was the case here.

Every now and then they catch hauls worth tens to hundreds of millions of dollars in street value, whereas this haul barely scrapes a million. Don't forget that by the time it reaches the street it has been sold and resold so many times that the margins are relatively thin.

Depends on the Gov backing the Mule. As with the German girl who got a reduced sentence to 5 years and was set free after serving 2/3rds of the sentence due to good behaviour. They narrowed down the 'effective drugs' that were in the found drugs to just be below the treshhold for the death penalty. She left SG for good.

( They found something above half a kg of cannabis that she had in her apartment with some other drugs, but after a re-investigation the labor reported that the 'effective drug weight' was below the half a kg. )

This is all from the top of my head, please Google for correct numbers.