Just Had An Accident.

WebBangkok

Hmm, vehicles on the left have right of way. Is that the reason roundabouts are such a mess?

That is odd as I know in a roundabout the one on the right that has already entered into the roundabout has the right of way.

I have a feeling that that is a bad translation. It comes from a law firms site and my guess is that on reading it an american substituted right for left as that is what he is used to.

Sorry, but here is the correct section on roundabouts (right of way to vehicles coming from the right):

post-156158-0-94210100-1356270514_thumb.

And here are the sections on turning right and left, as also the meaning of signal lights: orange does not mean you can speed through...You may go through only if you are already beyond the line. The other obvious consideration is if you do not have a speeding red light runner tailing you. I guess the traffic laws should be made compulsory reading for us farangs driving in Thailand (I had to study them to get my license...).

post-156158-0-06721800-1356271059_thumb.

post-156158-0-25392900-1356271110_thumb.

post-156158-0-68359900-1356271166_thumb.

Sorry, Americans don't do roundabouts either.

Actually they do, just not as common.

Curious there is a site dedicated to it - RoundaboutsUSA

Maybe I should have said that Americans don't do them so well? An engineer from the Houston office came over to Hull for a startup and got himself a rental car as he was pretty confident about driving on the 'wrong side' after other UK trips. Unfortunately, he had never experienced the multi-entrance, multi-lane roundabouts during morning rush-hour of which there were a couple between his hotel and the docks. He got 'trapped' going round and round as he was unaware who had right of way when trying to exit! He never did call them roundabouts, he called them '[expletive deleted] circles'.

And here are the sections on turning right and left, as also the meaning of signal lights: orange does not mean you can speed through...You may go through only if you are already beyond the line. The other obvious consideration is if you do not have a speeding red light runner tailing you. I guess the traffic laws should be made compulsory reading for us farangs driving in Thailand (I had to study them to get my license...).

Nice info, especially the roundabouts. Maybe ask a moderator if a link to the Thai Highway Code and these laws in English that you are posting can be made a sticky in this forum? Pretty sure there's a few eye-openers in there, even for the 'been there, done that' brigade.

I once lived near DuPont Circle in Washington DC and there are loads more there. But DC was originally designed (so very well) by a Frenchman so I blame the Euros for it. (Can't say for sure his designs included the circles too but I'll blame him anyway).

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa ap

Thai road laws are very similar to those in many western countries but driver behavior in Thailand is very different. Confidence in right of way given by the law in Thailand should be kept to a minimum. Many drivers here have their own ideas about who has right of way that is totally different to the law. E.G. at roundabouts many give way to the vehicle entering. Or at uncontrolled T junctions many drivers going straight assume they have right of way, regardless of priory route markings / stop signs etc.

It important to know both the law and common habits. These habits are not likely to change with the lack of driver eduction and law enforcement.

• 2 weeks later...

Like chevy chase. I n national lampoons european vacation. .Lol..

Sorry, Americans don't do roundabouts either.

Actually they do, just not as common.

Curious there is a site dedicated to it - RoundaboutsUSA

Maybe I should have said that Americans don't do them so well? An engineer from the Houston office came over to Hull for a startup and got himself a rental car as he was pretty confident about driving on the 'wrong side' after other UK trips. Unfortunately, he had never experienced the multi-entrance, multi-lane roundabouts during morning rush-hour of which there were a couple between his hotel and the docks. He got 'trapped' going round and round as he was unaware who had right of way when trying to exit! He never did call them roundabouts, he called them '[expletive deleted] circles'.