Small Bike Ride On Sunday The 23Rd

highonthai

Anyone interested in a wave (small bikes) ride on the 23rd Sunday?

Starting at the royal flora entrance parts of the Samoeng road and up to Mom Jam and back.

Some mini off road detours but very doable on a small scooter type bike,

Starting off at 10:30 am.

PM me if your interested,

For those of you who dont know of Mon Jaem. Its just a slight detour off the Samoeng loop ride. Its a Royal Project village on the ridge of a mountain.

Its a fantastic ride but the destination knocks the lovely journey there into a cocked hat.

Its a jaw dropping "wow" for me, cameras at the ready, lunch and beers in a bamboo shelter overlooking the mae taeng basin.

Ironically i think more Bang Cocky Ones are already aware of this place than Chiang Mai residents. Such a shame.

If you have the opportunity to get up there before the coaches and silver vans cotton on to this place then go sooner rather than later.

• Like 1

eyecatcher, can you give a bit more specific location? I have scoured the GT-Rider Mae Hong Son and Roadway Northern Thailand maps and haven't seen anything approaching a village by that name. It sounds like it would be a great little detour.

David

I probably mispelled it, try Mon Chaem. Its on the road where the x centre is/ and the elephant parks. the road to it is about 1km past the Queen Sirikit gardens (from the mae rim end) and from memory about a 7km climb from there.

The climb in the hills and valleys with the little coloured triangular roofed houses reminded me of switzerland.

Edited by eyecatcher

Naboo,

This ride has a couple of sections that you dont want to ride a regular street bike up. You would just not have the fun that you would if your on a wave/dream type bike.

Also in my experiance, when you mix the bigger bikes and the small ones it turns in to two diffrent groups and rides. Not as fun as when everyone is on the same type bike.

Hope you understand.

We were just up there the other day.

Careful as a lot of road work going on right now.

From the top you need to come part way down a different dirt road route

but there are guys there pointing the way. Maybe it was always that way?

dunno :)

Too late about the silver vans though they are there in force now

Prices at the top are touristy but very nice views.

If you want to buy fresh strawberries the prices drop

the further down the hill you go. Not surprising I guess as the vans are all near

the top. Actually prices are cheaper at the big market Wararot <sp?> in Chiangmai

Excluded by the clique.

???

I cannot join them as they don't approve of my bike.

'Clique' is a dig at a poster last week who could not find the group and suggested the 'clique' were being deliberately vague to exclude outsiders.

Excluded by the clique.

250 would do fine up there no worries

The dirt road sections are all hard packed

clay like dirt

It's not the area I was concerned about, my route from mae hia runs you up to some mountain villages chris crossing the samoeng road several times and also has a section that you have to ride on a couple of 12" wide cement tracks (you know the type) that have some exposure. Not a good ride for a real street bike. But purfect for wave/dream bikes if you have some ability. The road going up to mon chem is paved all the way and not a problem.

I'll be out again on wensday for a all day ride from Mae Hia to Samoeng out to Khun Kan national park over to Huai Mana and back down to mae wang and back to Mae Hia. A long ride and many dirt sections, If that sounds like your thing you welcome to join.

I'm not trying to exclude anyone, but don't want someone to thrash their motorcycle because I led them down a rough dirt road where a strret bike should not be. I was honest up front as to what kind of ride this was and what bike would be suited for it.

It's not the area I was concerned about, my route from mae hia runs you up to some mountain villages chris crossing the samoeng road several times and also has a section that you have to ride on a couple of 12" wide cement tracks (you know the type) that have some exposure. Not a good ride for a real street bike. But purfect for wave/dream bikes if you have some ability. The road going up to mon chem is paved all the way and not a problem.

I'll be out again on wensday for a all day ride from Mae Hia to Samoeng out to Khun Kan national park over to Huai Mana and back down to mae wang and back to Mae Hia. A long ride and many dirt sections, If that sounds like your thing you welcome to join.

I'm not trying to exclude anyone, but don't want someone to thrash their motorcycle because I led them down a rough dirt road where a strret bike should not be. I was honest up front as to what kind of ride this was and what bike would be suited for it.

I see..

What did you folks think of Monjam?

Did you check out the grape vinyards about 3/4 ways up?

Right where they were repaving the roads?

I thought it was pretty cool as I have never seen grapes grown

Could somebody pint this lactation and maybe a road on Google maps,please...

Are you using Hellodolly's smell checker?

Try here 18.93581,98.822848

Thanks...and for pinting it out too laugh.png...I guess,you did not have to big of a trouble understanding the essence of my question tongue.png

post-60959-0-55387400-1356273882_thumb.j

Could somebody pint this lactation and maybe a road on Google maps,please...

Are you using Hellodolly's smell checker?

Try here 18.93581,98.822848

Thanks...and for pinting it out too laugh.png...I guess,you did not have to big of a trouble understanding the essence of my question tongue.png

As clear as the air around Chiang Mai wink.png

eyecatcher, can you give a bit more specific location? I have scoured the GT-Rider Mae Hong Son and Roadway Northern Thailand maps and haven't seen anything approaching a village by that name. It sounds like it would be a great little detour.

David

The Gt rider map is meant more for off road and is missing a lot of roads. Edited by KRS1

David

The Gt rider map is meant more for off road and is missing a lot of roads.

Agree about the GT-Rider map ... plus it is hard to read the black lettering on the darker, shiny background. Hope they change it with the next edition.

While I have not found a site that gives a map location, I did find these directions on a page in the Chiang Mai Tourist Guide website. They are: "From town use the Chiang Mai - Fang Road (highway no. 107) and at kilometer 17 turn left onto the Mae Rim - Samerng highway (no. 1096). Keep going for another 15 kilometers and then turn right at Pong Yaek Village and follow the road for 6 kilometers." That is clear enough for me.

David