Anyone Else Here Have Trouble With Walen?

BenStarkBJJ

I took my Alphabet test and was failed over minor sound differences in 2 letters but not 1 week later they passed people from my class that still could't pronounce things properly while reading off the page let alone from memory or just by site.

This makes no sense to me personally. Anyone experience something similar?

I want to go in and confront the desk people but I was told thats not culturally how its done here. I am to contact a 3rd party and have them argue my part...

Ideas? Suggestions? Experiences?

Hmmm ..well I'm currently attending a Thai university and when some students get F's they seem to have no problem going to ask teachers to change grades for them etc. or at least asking why they got such a grade.

I would say that it's culturally acceptable ^^ You could always get your parents to call for u :P I'm not sure how old you are though...

No offense, but if they failed me, I would just study harder so they won't fail me next time

wai.gif

If I had made major mistakes that would be reasonable. She acutually complimented me durring my test saying other than (in her opinion though my teachers disagree) the 2 letters I said wrong that i have "The best pronunciation of anyone she has tested in alphabet class"

Mind you, I went in with a friend who tested before me, she failed as well after we both tested she just turned to my friend and said "I changed my mind, you pass".

Sound shady yet?

Edited by BenStarkBJJ

No offense, but if they failed me, I would just study harder so they won't fail me next time

wai.gif

If I had made major mistakes that would be reasonable. She acutually complimented me durring my test saying other than (in her opinion though my teachers disagree) the 2 letters I said wrong that i have "The best pronunciation of anyone she has tested in alphabet class"

Were you also the most handsome man who ever took the test?

• Like 1

I took my Alphabet test and was failed over minor sound differences in 2 letters but not 1 week later they passed people from my class that still could't pronounce things properly while reading off the page let alone from memory or just by site.

This makes no sense to me personally. Anyone experience something similar?

I want to go in and confront the desk people but I was told thats not culturally how its done here. I am to contact a 3rd party and have them argue my part...

Ideas? Suggestions? Experiences?

These people are not real teachers and have no idea of what real assessment is

I would venture to say that many of them have no idea what they are doing other than following a book

Sent from my GT-S5660 using Thaivisa Connect App

Why not ask MacWalen, of said Walen school.

He is a member on here.

I didn't know he posted here. Maybe he will come in.

Why not ask MacWalen, of said Walen school.

He is a member on here.

I didn't know he posted here. Maybe he will come in.

just Pm'd him

Which brach you are referring to? I will look into it. Opinions differ about Walen school, some people love it, some don't like it so much, hard to please all. Everybody can take demo lessons, talk to other students and staff and decide if Walen system is for them.

Kilgore Trout, most of Walen teachers taught hundreds and even thousands of lessons. I assure you that they know what they do. If you are one of Walen students I would be happy to meet and have a chat about your complaint and see what I can do. If you are not, then not nice to make such remarks.

Which brach you are referring to? I will look into it. Opinions differ about Walen school, some people love it, some don't like it so much, hard to please all. Everybody can take demo lessons, talk to other students and staff and decide if Walen system is for them.

Kilgore Trout, most of Walen teachers taught hundreds and even thousands of lessons. I assure you that they know what they do. If you are one of Walen students I would be happy to meet and have a chat about your complaint and see what I can do. If you are not, then not nice to make such remarks.

I go to the branch by Asok. I understand that teaching style from the classes I've been to (Alphabet only this far) really its just memorization at the moment. Thats not an issue.

As per the teachers, they are not the ones who tested me. The lady at the front desk is. My teachers were quite surprised I wasn't passed. I was surprised to see her change my friends grade from fail to pass purely based on her mood. Then the following week she (or whoever) went on to pass students who couldn't even read the names of letters off the paper correctly let alone recall them from memory.

I haven't been back to the school since learning all this. I paid to learn a language not to be judged by a person's (who isn't even my teacher) particular mood at that moment and to receive an unfair shake because of it.

I am not trying to speak badly of your company. Your teachers are quite competent and maintain a good repor with the students and are genuinely excited to see them do well but my experience with the woman who tested me and her ability to just pass or fail someone on a whim because she felt like it (as per my friend who was failed then moments later in the office was passed with a "I changed my mind, you pass". yes I was present for that.) really gets my goat.

I go to the branch by Asok. I understand that teaching style from the classes I've been to (Alphabet only this far) really its just memorization at the moment. Thats not an issue.

As per the teachers, they are not the ones who tested me. The lady at the front desk is. My teachers were quite surprised I wasn't passed. I was surprised to see her change my friends grade from fail to pass purely based on her mood. Then the following week she (or whoever) went on to pass students who couldn't even read the names of letters off the paper correctly let alone recall them from memory.

I haven't been back to the school since learning all this. I paid to learn a language not to be judged by a person's (who isn't even my teacher) particular mood at that moment and to receive an unfair shake because of it.

I am not trying to speak badly of your company. Your teachers are quite competent and maintain a good repor with the students and are genuinely excited to see them do well but my experience with the woman who tested me and her ability to just pass or fail someone on a whim because she felt like it (as per my friend who was failed then moments later in the office was passed with a "I changed my mind, you pass". yes I was present for that.) really gets my goat.

A clear example of unprofessionalism in these types of environments, not surprising.

Please explain your way around this one, McWalen. Also, please tell me what qualifications these teachers have (experience without qualifications doesn'nt mean squat), how much are they paid? How much do you invest with regard to professional development per teacher per year? What are the goals and standards of the curriculum?

I'm not saying these places are a complete ripoff, probably serves the purpose of most students, but don't make it out to be something it is not. This is Thailand and those of us who have lived here a long time know what to expect. As I said before, these people are not real teachers, just somewhat educated Thais who can speak decent English.

I would say the teachers are about the same caliber of foreign teachers w/out degrees that proliferated in the 90's and early 2000's before the MOE put more serious restrictions on teachers in around 06.

As per the teachers, they are not the ones who tested me. The lady at the front desk is.

This has got to be a mistake. The receptionist is giving tests? Say it isn't so Mac. Even you wouldn't stoop to this level.

Leosmith. She is actually a student consultant and trained examiner. How well other students performed cannot be known to the student as exams are held one on one. We do a lot of exams and this is a first complaint in a very long time.

A clear example of unprofessionalism in these types of environments, not surprising.

Please explain your way around this one, McWalen. Also, please tell me what qualifications these teachers have (experience without qualifications doesn'nt mean squat), how much are they paid? How much do you invest with regard to professional development per teacher per year? What are the goals and standards of the curriculum?

I'm not saying these places are a complete ripoff, probably serves the purpose of most students, but don't make it out to be something it is not. This is Thailand and those of us who have lived here a long time know what to expect. As I said before, these people are not real teachers, just somewhat educated Thais who can speak decent English.

I would say the teachers are about the same caliber of foreign teachers w/out degrees that proliferated in the 90's and early 2000's before the MOE put more serious restrictions on teachers in around 06.

Fitst of all, it takes more than one person to judge an establishment, it is not mature to pass a judgment based on one persons experience. You need to talk to more people to have an objective opinion about anything. Hope you agree with this statement.

Walen teachers are trained on a regular basis. Lessons are also observed and students are regularly asked about their learning experience. The objective is to learn Thai. Perhaps you could attend some classes and see for yourself. I would be happy to introduce you personally to our teachers. We have thousands of happy customers so it cannot be that bad and I am doing my best to take good care of my students. I love what I do.

We are using our own method of teaching and we train our teachers to do it our way. What we do works. It works very well. Example of this student, after a short time he knows the entire Thai alphabet, consonants and vowels and how to put it togehter. With Walen first you learn the alphabet as we do not use any transliterated Thai at all.

Kilgore Trout, thank you for your post. Good to see many people participating not just reading.