Hello All! 30Yo Male Just Moved To Cm, Looking To Make Friends!

JonnyRock

Hi guys

My name is Jon and I have just moved to Chiangmai. I am 30 (repeating my topic subject but whatever :)) and don't know too much about the area. Been to Doi Suthep, the opium gardens, night market, and Bubble/Spicy disco whilst my friend visited (not so interested in the "naughty" areas but he was).

I am coming here just for information of what is going in the area and what's good to do if you're single, erm, not sure whether I am young or old at 30 haha, male. Making a friend or two would be great too! I've met a few girls from online but they're either looking for a "love job" or in 1 case money for sex (after the 2nd date, she was rebuffed!)

Love sports, am a Leeds United fan, NFL, Tennis, chasing girls, drinking, going to the gym (Duangtawan) etc etc.

Cheers guys (and gals) look forward to interacting on here and any hints and tips mucho appreciated!

• Like 1

Agree, facebook, social network sites; or hang out in the back packer areas to meet people your own age.

Many of us reading your post will being saying "hahah he has already started off on the wrong foot!

The places we all "dis" each and every day are the ones you have started off on (as we all did). Dont be too eager for girls,or you will get bitten.... Take things easy and gin knowledge and experience. Things will improve for you if you imagine your mother is here aswell!!, . Good luck

• Like 1

Chiang Mai is a great place. However...

Papa swindles, Mama swindles

Grandma's a lying thief.

We're all quite shameless

yet we're blameless.

For you see it's our belief

that nowadays the world is rotten

honesty has been forgotten.

Fall in love, but after kissing

check your purse to see what's missing.

• Like 2

Grandma's a lying thief.

yet we're blameless.

huh.png ,

but perhaps he's not as daft as you eh. laugh.png

Grandma's a lying thief.

yet we're blameless.

huh.png ,

Daft?

It's good advice for anyone new to Chiang Mai - and a good many other places for that matter.

• Like 1

we are members of the same gym im there at about 6.30 every morning till about 8 look for the bloke getting very angry with the idiots that are not there

to train but to get in peoples way buy sitting on a machine playing angry birds on there iphone or reading a book on a tread mill lol

god i hate them

we are members of the same gym im there at about 6.30 every morning till about 8 look for the bloke getting very angry with the idiots that are not there

to train but to get in peoples way buy sitting on a machine playing angry birds on there iphone or reading a book on a tread mill lol

god i hate them

I had one of those in Ubon, thankfully his football season is over and he's gone back to..............................................thumbsup.gif ..........clap2.gif
  • Like 1

Thanks guys for all the comments!

Scrolling thru FB for friends? That's new to me, I've never used it for that but will consider it.

Thanks for the warning on the ladies, but my guard is up with them and after the first few experiences it's not really high on my list, more getting to know the area and having a good time :)

I will be sure to search thru the archives here before posting any mundane topics/questions and thanks for the welcome!

god i hate them

Hi mate, I go at night. All 8 treadmills were taken last night, and every single person was WALKING on them. One woman did about a 20 minute warmdown at 2km/h (not even half walking pace), what's wrong with them???

Scrolling thru FB for friends? That's new to me, I've never used it for that but will consider it.

Thanks for the warning on the ladies, but my guard is up with them and after the first few experiences it's not really high on my list, more getting to know the area and having a good time smile.png

I will be sure to search thru the archives here before posting any mundane topics/questions and thanks for the welcome!

Post what you want, l do, don't worry. You will soon learn and l am a numnut. crazy.gif

PS. You can also PM me or many other guys here with your stuff. thumbsup.gif

Edited by transam

Thanks for the warning on the ladies, but my guard is up with them and after the first few experiences it's not really high on my list, more getting to know the area and having a good time smile.png

Post what you want, l do, don't worry. You will soon learn and l am a numnut. crazy.gif

PS. You can also PM me or many other guys here with your stuff. thumbsup.gif

thank you, very kind of you sir

Welcome to Chiang Mai.

You come on a flood-tide of visitors to a city that is growing and changing very fast.

After you get your bearings here, you might want to learn something about the history and culture of a city that was founded over 700 years ago.

In so doing you will meet Thais with similar interests who take pride in their traditions.

If it hasn't become obvious to you already, you should realize that most of the Thais who contact foreigners provide goods and services of one kind or another.

All of them, from the hooker sitting on the barstool to the kid who drives the tuk-tuk, they want to get as much out of us as possible for what they provide.

A metaphor might be made with the city itself which has changed out of recognition since I first came in the late '70s.

What now resembles some concrete-jungle in California has everywhere the remains of chedis, wats and historical sites; some in a very good state of repair, others no more than a pile of bricks and rubble.

The traditions of civility and refinement that characterize Lanna Thai culture exist like the historical remains among the flashy modern city that seems to overpower them.

Enjoy your stay.

• Like 1

Grandma's a lying thief.

yet we're blameless.

huh.png ,

You sound like someone who hasn't been in Chiang Mai long yourself.

If you want some experience of life here, meet me tonight on Loi Kroh. I'll introduce you to some girls I know.

Grandma's a lying thief.

yet we're blameless.

huh.png ,

If you want some experience of life here, meet me tonight on Loi Kroh. I'll introduce you to some girls I know.

Don't think my mrs in Ubon will let me. whistling.gif .................laugh.png

Honestly, you are going to have difficulty making friends here your own age. Most of the people in Chiang Mai that are about our age are either short term English teachers/ NGO workers that only stay for a year or two, tourists/ backpackers, or randoms (e.q. "online poker players" who are only here until the money runs out).

Your absolute best bet is to visit the Reggae Soi regularly. Yellow Club and Yellow Patio tend to be more of the tourist crowd, but if you venture into the other bars like Roots Rock Reggae, Babylon, or Yellow Corner, you are bound to meet some regular long term expats our own age (as opposed to the primarily over-the-hill grumps that inhabit TV).

Hope this helps,

-Mestizo

• Like 1

Grandma's a lying thief.

yet we're blameless.

huh.png ,

Don't think my mrs in Ubon will let me. whistling.gif .................laugh.png

Now that's a good boy.

I'll even forgive you for calling me daft.

• Like 1

god i hate them

Hi mate, I go at night. All 8 treadmills were taken last night, and every single person was WALKING on them. One woman did about a 20 minute warmdown at 2km/h (not even half walking pace), what's wrong with them???

dont get me started the amount of times iv nearly tripped over things that have been left on the floor like wights and so on if you can can pick it up 30 times then why cant you but it back grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr lol

I'm 30 also and from the US, not sure where you're from. It's pretty impossible to meet people here who actually live here and are your own age, nationality let alone have similar interests. I basically program and bike ride with all my time (quit drinking) but you can email me if you want (or do I need to post my address?).

What has happened to this young sojourner?

He was enthusiastically answering posts and bestowing "likes" on people when he suddenly fell silent.

Has his interest in Thai Visa waned, or did he fall in with bad company here?

Let's hope he is too busy with wholesome activities to have time to post; and not that he has come to grief at the hands of new found "friends".

god i hate them

dont get me started the amount of times iv nearly tripped over things that have been left on the floor like wights and so on if you can can pick it up 30 times then why cant you but it back grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr lol

Why are athletic people always so moody and aggressive?

Just lay around and be fat, its more peaceful.

What has happened to this young sojourner?

He was enthusiastically answering posts and bestowing "likes" on people when he suddenly fell silent.

Has his interest in Thai Visa waned, or did he fall in with bad company here?

Let's hope he is too busy with wholesome activities to have time to post; and not that he has come to grief at the hands of new found "friends".

Hey, sorry - I am here, been busy with work past couple of days - I will reply to everyone after I've hit the gym, thanks so much for the advice and offers guys, will reply in kind shortly!

Welcome to Chiang Mai.

You come on a flood-tide of visitors to a city that is growing and changing very fast.

After you get your bearings here, you might want to learn something about the history and culture of a city that was founded over 700 years ago.

In so doing you will meet Thais with similar interests who take pride in their traditions.

If it hasn't become obvious to you already, you should realize that most of the Thais who contact foreigners provide goods and services of one kind or another.

All of them, from the hooker sitting on the barstool to the kid who drives the tuk-tuk, they want to get as much out of us as possible for what they provide.

A metaphor might be made with the city itself which has changed out of recognition since I first came in the late '70s.

What now resembles some concrete-jungle in California has everywhere the remains of chedis, wats and historical sites; some in a very good state of repair, others no more than a pile of bricks and rubble.

The traditions of civility and refinement that characterize Lanna Thai culture exist like the historical remains among the flashy modern city that seems to overpower them.

Enjoy your stay.

thank you. in the few weeks I've been here.. it seems if you don't want the naughty stuff, it's easy to stay away from it. I've done a few cultural things, but still got a lot on my list. I've learnt most of the tourist traps but the colour of your skin is a detriment no matter what in some cases here, TIT lol

thanks mate