Ptt Semi- Synthetic Motorcycle Oil

Lancelot

I enjoy puttering around with my CBR 150, so I change my own oil. I wanted to use 100% synthetic, but I have not seen it in Pattaya. I did see PTT Challenger 10W- 40; Semi Synthetic at a PTT gas station, B135 per liter.

After checking out the specs for semi- synthetic vs, 100% synthetice, I'm wondering if 100% synthetic is worth the price? (not sure what the premium is.)

100% Synthetic Semi-Synthetic

5W-40 10W-40

JASO MA JASO MB

API-SL API-SG

Viscosity @ 100C 14.5 14.3

Cold Cranking -30C 5,884 6,226

Flash Point C 232 220

Pour Point C -42 -30

*From Product Data Sheets, PTT Web site

Any thoughts?

Lance

According to http://www.calsci.co...info/Oils1.html semi-synthetic is neither "fish nor fowl" and therefore a waste of money.

"Semi-synthetics" are oils which are a blend of petroleum oil and no more than 30% synthetic oil. If the manufacturer adds no more than 30% synthetic oil and does not change the additive package, they do not have to recertify the oil. These days, since everyone has agreed that Group III base oils are "synthetic," I'm not sure "semi-synthetic" means anything at all. The manufacturers love this stuff: it costs about 15% more to make the oil, and they get to charge about double. I don't recommend semi-synthetics. Save your money and take your kids to McDonalds.

If wishing to go synthetic, go fully synthetic. But make sure it is JASO MA rated for wet clutch. The semi stuff in your post is rated MB. The 5W and 10W are not relevant in this climate. W stands for winter.

Edited by VocalNeal

According to http://www.calsci.co...info/Oils1.html semi-synthetic is neither "fish nor fowl" and therefore a waste of money.

"Semi-synthetics" are oils which are a blend of petroleum oil and no more than 30% synthetic oil. If the manufacturer adds no more than 30% synthetic oil and does not change the additive package, they do not have to recertify the oil. These days, since everyone has agreed that Group III base oils are "synthetic," I'm not sure "semi-synthetic" means anything at all. The manufacturers love this stuff: it costs about 15% more to make the oil, and they get to charge about double. I don't recommend semi-synthetics. Save your money and take your kids to McDonalds.

If wishing to go synthetic, go fully synthetic. But make sure it is JASO MA rated for wet clutch. The semi stuff in your post is rated MB. The 5W and 10W are not relevant in this climate. W stands for winter.

Hi Neal.

Yeah, I've shoveled snow and I'm familiar with "W" oil ratings. Thin when cool, can't be bad for engine first starts.

There are two Challenger 10W-40 Product data sheets and I quoted the wrong one

Semi-Synthetic is JASO MA, API SG,

Viscosity @100 c 14.3

Cold Cranking -30 6,190

Flash Poin C 230

Pour Point C -30

The oil I bought was 135 baht per liter, not really much more that 100% mineral smile.png

I figure 5,000 km change intervals. The PTT specs are very close for both Semi and 100% synthetic, so is the price premium worth it?

Edited by Lancelot