Why Have I Lost Wi Fi Connection On My Laptop?

giddyup

In addition to the excellent advice from Monty, my Laptop (HP) has a Switch on Front of the laptop to Switch Off / On the Wireless.

Which brand / type of Laptop do you have ?

Edited by MJCM

Here are two options:

1.- You accidentally turn off your Wireless Card, check if there is a red cross in your taskbar

2.- You accidentally disable the Wireless service from your router, p.e. my True Router has a button that will disable the WiFi, you can Enable again with the same button or in the configuration page of your router

pm for more details

Thanks for the responses, but after checking (Fn F3) it says the wireless device is turned on, also there doesn't appear to be an off button for wi fi either on the laptop (emachines) or the router. When I said it was a sudden problem, that wasn't strictly true. When I had it connected via wi fi only it was dropping out fairly regularly, which I took to be a True connectivity problem, but now I think it must be the wi fi receiver in the laptop. When it's connected via the LAN cable it's as good as gold.

Edited by giddyup

Thanks for the responses, but after checking (Fn F3) it says the wireless device is turned on, also there doesn't appear to be an off button for wi fi either on the laptop (emachines) or the router. When I said it was a sudden problem, that wasn't strictly true. When I had it connected via wi fi only it was dropping out fairly regularly, which I took to be a True connectivity problem, but now I think it must be the wi fi receiver in the laptop. When it's connected via the LAN cable it's as good as gold.

Check the WIFI connection by taking your laptop to another WIFI area. If you can connect there it may point to you router.

Check the WIFI connection by taking your laptop to another WIFI area. If you can connect there it may point to you router.

That will be my next step.

Stupid question, but have you switched the modem off and on again?

If you haven't I would do that first. It sounds simple but it can often solve problems like this.

Tried that several times with no results.

If UR using windoze, try a system restore to the most recently created point.

In linux, it is also possible to lose wifi by hiding too many startup items, go to system tools and try to get 'network' or somesuch showing up.

In mac, sorry no idea. AA

Had the same problem on my laptop will suddenly lose the wi fi connection. 1st time took it to a PC shop, he checked and re installed the driver for this, now I always have the disc with that driver on in the laptop bag. every few months for no reason will suddenly lose the wi fi connection. simple now just re-install that driver

Edit: Do wonder if Up Dates knock out the driver sometimes ?

Edited by ignis

First I'd reboot the router and/or use another device wirelessly (smartphone) and see if it connects. Know heat is a killer and routers only last a few years.

Uninstall and reinstall your laptops wireless adapter. Reboot.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Thaivisa Connect App

I get a message saying "the remote device won't accept a connection".

I guess your issue is with the WIFI channel number set on your router. Uninstalling/reinstalling/boot/reboot whatever your laptop, does not help much. If your laptop has been purchased in the US or Europe, there is a big chance that it cannot detect WIFI channels > 11. Routers we use here can be set at a channel above 11; if, for instance, your router has restarted after a power outage, it can set its channel to let say 13. Hence you laptop will not be able to see your network... To fix this, just access your router as admin and force the channel number to a value <= 11 (it is generally in Wireless Settings).

I guess your issue is with the WIFI channel number set on your router. Uninstalling/reinstalling/boot/reboot whatever your laptop, does not help much. If your laptop has been purchased in the US or Europe, there is a big chance that it cannot detect WIFI channels > 11. Routers we use here can be set at a channel above 11; if, for instance, your router has restarted after a power outage, it can set its channel to let say 13. Hence you laptop will not be able to see your network... To fix this, just access your router as admin and force the channel number to a value <= 11 (it is generally in Wireless Settings).

I bought the laptop (eMachine) and router (n link from True) two years ago, and it was working fine until a few months ago when it started to drop out intermittently. Then it wouldn't connect wirelessly at all, but only through the cable.

Had the same problem on my laptop will suddenly lose the wi fi connection. 1st time took it to a PC shop, he checked and re installed the driver for this, now I always have the disc with that driver on in the laptop bag. every few months for no reason will suddenly lose the wi fi connection. simple now just re-install that driver

Edit: Do wonder if Up Dates knock out the driver sometimes ?

Trying to isolate my problem. If diver is the problem, is it a complete loss of internet connection (24 hours a day) or an on and off situation?

Thanks.