Where To Order Mincemeat Pie And Christmas Pudding

realthaideal

With the new specialty food makers in town, and the variety of old hands out there, where do you guys go to order yours for the holidays ?

Who has the best ones out there ?

And the whiskey sauce too ?

Can I count on just dropping by and picking one up, or should I order ahead ?

Cue Rob from Sausage King, entering stage left.....

RTD, both local providers offer traditional mince pies a la England, the origin.

They are essentially tarts- pastry bottom, mince filling and either covered on top (SK) or traditionally partially covered with pastry in a pattern on top (BIB). Single serving, maybe 5" in diameter.

No one seems to make a family sized, American style mince pie (no meat or suet, covered by pastry on top, deep dish and serves 6-8).

As for the pudding a l' Anglaise I think SK is down with that.

I was brought up on home made only Xmas puds and although not usually a dessert/pudding eater; like a piece of Xmas pud if I can find it. Last year bought a Tower Bridge pud at Rimping and it was pretty good . Would say pretty hard to beat unless you have a good recipe for your own home made one.

For the last couple of years l have got my mince pies and Christmas puddings from Rob at Sausage King. They are both excellent and good value for money.l picked up my Christmas order yesterday together with the brandy cream. Whilst collecting my order l had one of his excellent english breakfasts for 99 baht. Give Rob a ring has he may still have some stock of mince pies and Christmas puddings

Growing up as a kid my Dad would always take time in October to make a New Christmas Pudding with all of us kids (4 of us) and it was from his great grans recipe (so very old) and he had a BIG BOWL and we mixed all the ingrediants in it and then we all had a go at strirring it 4 times for luck and then threw in a sixpence into the mixture.

It was then packed into smaller bowls and covered in cheesecloth and then stored for a couple of years, we always had a couple of years of aged Christmas Puddings in storage and one of those old aged ones were picked for the coming Christmas.

Mold was scraped from the top of the Christmas pudding and then it was Steamed for quite a few hours ready for dinner

Best Christmas Pudding I ever ate, so RICH and moist you could only eat a very small portion but really delicious

Sadly a custom that is now no longer continued within out family

DK

Edited by DiamondKing

Growing up as a kid my Dad would always take time in October to make a New Christmas Pudding with all of us kids (4 of us) and it was from his great grans recipe (so very old) and he had a BIG BOWL and we mixed all the ingrediants in it and then we all had a go at strirring it 4 times for luck and then threw in a sixpence into the mixture.

It was then packed into smaller bowls and covered in cheesecloth and then stored for a couple of years, we always had a couple of years of aged Christmas Puddings in storage and one of those old aged ones were picked for the coming Christmas.

Mold was scraped from the top of the Christmas pudding and then it was Steamed for quite a few hours ready for dinner

Best Christmas Pudding I ever ate, so RICH and moist you could only eat a very small portion but really delicious

Sadly a custom that is now no longer continued within out family

DK

Yes, DK, all those wonderful traditions of yesteryear now sadly forgoten. But were they really "sixpenses" or the silver threepenny bits (saved specially for the Xmas pud!)?